Thread: lee solo album
View Single Post
Old 03.24.2006, 10:16 AM   #32
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

top 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonicl
I don't agree. Lee has a beautiful singing voice, and I would love to hear it on more "commercial" stuff. I think it would work really well. And, besides, I would say that Lee is kinda the pop influence on SY, I'd say he's the one who has absobed the most sixties influences (e.g. Beatles, Byrds)

Surely the fact that Lee's stuff doesn't sound like an SY release is a good thing? If I wanted something that sounded like an SY release, I'd listen to an SY album.

Yeah, I find it funny when people hold Sonic Youth up to weird standards just because they're considered an "experimental," "noise," or "avant-garde" band. Any derivation from this formula (oh and it is a little bit of a formula) is considered a cop-out or a sell-out or something ridiculous. I mean nothing I've ever heard by any of the Sonic Youth has been ultra-poppy in a cheap way. I mean Lee's cover of Isolation? Not ultra-poppy in my opinion. The John Lennon version to begin with isn't really that poppy, and Lee adds a fair amount of dissonance and interesting choices to that song.

Like, people do like good solid rock and pop music, right? I mean it is considered valid art form, right? It is a huge influence on the members on Sonic Youth, right? Why do the Ramones, The Beatles, Mudhoney, The Talking Heads, The Minutemen or any of the thousands of rock bands I'm sure lots of hyper-critical Sonic Youth fans enjoy get the privelage of writing this kind of music, but Sonic Youth must not? I don't get it. Hell if Lee comes out w/ a solo record I want it to be a country-folk record, or a Lounge singer record, or thoughtful pop record, or a black metal record. ]

Whatever he wants to write, y'know? Whatever kind of song comes.
top 40 squeeze is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|