View Single Post
Old 03.31.2006, 01:00 AM   #5
amerikangod
invito al cielo

amerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's assesamerikangod kicks all y'all's asses
dazedcola, I was at one of those shows. It was easily one of the best shows of my life. I wrote a lengthy review of the show on the old board, and as such it's long lost.

Lightning Bolt toured with Sonic Youth in 2002. The show I saw was in November of that year, at Irving Plaza in New York. That night the line-up was Black Dice, Sonic Youth, and Lightning Bolt (the night before featured Liars in place of Black Dice.) Sonic Youth played for nearly two hours, and Lightning Bolt went on after them.

While Sonic Youth were bringing their encore to a close (with a great version of "Inhuman"), Lightning Bolt began playing "Ride the Sky" from the floor. Needless to say, it was fucking insane. The extended outro to "Inhuman" was made to blend with the extended intro to "Ride the Sky".) The two bands played together for anywhere from five to ten minutes. It was hard to judge the passing of time during such a righteous moment. Even after the guitars faded, Steve Shelley kept the rhythm going.

Eventually everyone migrated over to the Brians. This was before 'Wonderful Rainbow' was released, so they were tinkering with quite a bit of that material in the show (a version of "Dracula Mountain" featured a one to two minute long Chippendale humming solo.) Aside from that, there were a lot of 'Ride the Skies' songs. I remember hearing "Assassins" for the first time and nearly peeing my pants. Chippendale jumped off of his seat and put his head and fists (Mario Brothers style) through the overhang, causing pieces of ceiling paneling to fall on us.

I recall running home that night. From the venue to the train, and from the train to my home. Without a jacket. The adrenaline was undeniable. And back then I still didn't wear ear plugs to Lightning Bolt gigs (they've toned the volume down a bit nowadays, I believe), so my ears hummed for days.

As far as the tracks go, I've downloaded several different versions from Soulseek, although none seem to actually feauture Lightning Bolt for more than a few seconds, if at all. Are your versions the genuine article? I think those particular tracks that you listed were recorded in Providence, if I remember correctly.

EDIT: I said "That night the line-up was Black Dice, Sonic Youth, and Lightning Bolt (the night before featured Liars in place of Black Dice.)" I meant to say that the night before featured Liars in place of Lightning Bolt.
amerikangod is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|