View Single Post
Old 08.18.2006, 01:25 PM   #2
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Matt Wellins: Could you elaborate a little bit more about what your current filmmaking concerns are, now that you are removed from that community? Where do you see yourself fitting into the current political climate?

David Markey: I’m out on the edge of it, like I’ve always been, but it’s in conservative times like these when I most feel like I am actually riding the pop culture zeitgeist. The tide is turning, there’s a lot of pissed off people out there right now. A lot of energy. And I flourish most creatively when I’m angry.

Matt Wellins: You mentioned in an interview recently that you'd like to work beyond the low-budget constraints that you've dealt with in the early part of your career. Could you talk a little bit about how the budget relates to your ideas? On Cut Shorts, there seems to be a pretty decisive reasoning to stay away from shooting video. What would making a bigger budget film entail? Is a 35mm feature-length something you're specifically interested in doing?

David Markey: Yes, and at some point I will make the leap. I always knew I would produce a big budget film, it's just a matter of time. These days it would be all to easy to make a film digitally and edit it on my computer. That just does not seem like a challenge to me. I grew up doing that, and I really need to up the ante at this stage in the game. And at this point in my life I feel like I'm ready.

Matt Wellins: This may be an elaboration on the previous two questions, but I’m curious as to what a larger film would entail for you. Would you still approach it with the same immediacy as many of the films on Cut Shorts? Do you see yourself scripting it? What sort of subject matter are you interested in tackling? Is widespread studio-backed screening an interest at this phase?

David Markey: I have worked from shooting scripts before. I would leave room for improv and spontaneity. Whether I write it or not, as long as it makes sense, even it makes no sense at all. I’ve learned a lot over the years and I am in a place now to really take advantage of that. I’ve just finished writing an autobiographical novel. I feel I am a little close to it, to adapt it into a screenplay, but you never know. Maybe I’ll do something light and frothy before I take that sucker on.
By Matt Wellins
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|