View Single Post
Old 12.11.2023, 09:30 AM   #6
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i enjoyed the podcast more than i expected, it was often amusing, at least lydia and richard got my attention

what was said about kim was no great crime. basically 2 things:

1) personality clashes, which both agreed with. well, is kim an "easygoing" person? eh, most signs point to no, but why would she have to be? i mean... she's shy and an introvert and maybe needs a hard shell to interact with the world and all its assholes. so what? im sure the other ones have their issues too, just different ones

kim herself in her bio talks about having been tormented by her brilliant mentally ill brother when she was a child. that sort of early experience is not going to turn anyone into the most open and trusting and chummiest person. everyone is different, not everyone has to get along, nothing to see here tbh

(personally, i hate overfriendly mr. peanutbutter types, lol)

2) her bass playing. is she a great player? well, she's no fish or flea or any other sort of virtuoso bass animal. but later in the podcast richard and lydia defended the non-virtuoso approach of just doing things

on that note, richard said that as much as he loved jazz he's not equipped to play it, lacking skills, so plenty of honesty and humility there. and the whole discussion about confidence etc between him and lydia was pretty fucking cool. lydia is crazy hahahaaa. i like her even when she's wrong. liking and agreeing are two different things

so anyway, a bit of shade, sure, but no big drama, it was just a momentary blip, and oliver stone got a lot more attention and airtime than most

back to sy, in the liner notes to the ep reissue richard wrote about the multicultural east village in those days and how his band konk was funkier and sonic youth were a bunch of squares hhahahahahaaaa. this has parallels in the podcast with his return from "too white" san francisco to new york in the 70s. it's a consistent narrative from the guy, he liked the experimental approach but wasn't a perfect fit to the "indie rock" world. so, he lived his life his way, and made his choices, as one should...

anyway it was a fun listen. i'm sure they're all grateful from a few extra clicks generated from this here thread, and some of us are grateful for the entertainment also
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|