View Single Post
Old 04.08.2019, 05:57 AM   #10
GravitySlips
children of satan

GravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
So, you think that The Eternal was an adequate way to cap a career that kicked off in earnest with Bad Moon Rising, contained three of the most influential and adventurous trilogies of albums of the past 40 years and, up until the end, was operating on all cylinders with the perfect Murray Street, the very-near-perfect Sonic Nurse and the band *finally* succeeding in creating a marketable noise-pop record that was neither too avant-garde nor too traditional on Rather Ripped?

The Eternal? Really?

I would have preferred the end with a balls-out, epic noise-punk squall. Instead they ended with the least essential album they ever made.

But again, it’s SY, so it’s still good stuff, but I wish it had ended differently.

I don't really like The Eternal but I think it's a LOT better than Rather Ripped.

I wouldn't call it a "fitting finale" either, but they were never going to go out with anything that sounded like the otherworldly, noisy work they produced in the 80s anyway. To me, the band's final three albums are very much the sound of a band going through the motions (I don't share your love of Sonic Nurse, it seems, albeit it's miles better than RR and Eternal). I kind of wish they'd just chucked it after Murray Street, which I like a lot.
GravitySlips is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|