View Single Post
Old 02.13.2021, 12:33 PM   #1
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
Lately when I have a long assignment to do on the computer that doesn't have anything to do with music, I've been going to the TV Tropes article on Mohs Scale of Rock and Metal Hardness and flipping through the various levels to get some background music. Sonic Youth have a few entries in the example lists, starting with "Incinerate" at Level 3, but they top it off with "Freezer Burn/I Wanna Be Your Dog" at Level 10 (alongside artists/bands like Burzum and Periphery) just because of the roughness of the recording. They rank "Silver Rocket" at Level 8 for the noise section alone.

I don't think "FB/IWBYD" should be ranked as their hardest song. I'd give that honor to "Orange Rolls, Angel's Spit" because it's so discordant plus the aggression of Kim's vocals. Which would you guys pick, and for those familiar, where would you rank it on the scale?