Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Musician Interaction
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.21.2006, 09:17 AM   #1
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
Ok, here is something that I always have trouble doing, at least I feel that way. Everytime theres a small, cozy gig where the band walks around in betweeen sets and talks to people, I inevitably stroll up and strike up a conversation. This is done usually because I really like the music and want to get to know the persons behind it, what they are into and what not, But I always feel weird doing this because who am I right? I mean these guys/girls tour, play a gig every night and I don't think they want to shoot the breeze with me. So, its hard for me to interact with them, because I don't want to seem like the uber cool scenescter who lowers themself to talk with the band, BUT I don't want to come across as the annoying fan who actually just show interset in the music/band and expresses it.

Anyone else have similar situations or feelings arise...Discuss.
RdTv is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2006, 09:36 AM   #2
porkmarras
invito al cielo

porkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's assesporkmarras kicks all y'all's asses
I find most musicians you approach after a gig to be nice more often than not.The indieish,opinionated types are normally just plain idiots but they don't bother me at all because 99.9 % of the times i find their music to be a sonorous vomitorium anyway.

porkmarras is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2006, 09:38 AM   #3
RdTv
invito al cielo

RdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's assesRdTv kicks all y'all's asses
So, maybe I'm unjustifiably perturbed, or maybe I'm a talking penis...who knows?
Old 08.21.2006, 09:39 AM   #4
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
Personally, I like it when people talk to me when I play small shows out of town. It's nice to get some friendly interaction when you are in a place where you don't know anybody.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2006, 09:43 AM   #5
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
if someone in a band don't want to talk to you, they'll let you know.

i think that, for them, it's part of the good things that touring has, talking to complete strangers who want to talk to them just because of who they are and the music they play.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2006, 11:37 AM   #6
afterthefact
invito al cielo

afterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's assesafterthefact kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by porkmarras
...The indieish,opinionated types are normally just plain idiots...
and cocky. they think cause they are "the band" there that night, they have something over. come off your pedestal, ass. you aren't some high-and-mighty conceding to talk to the lowly pesants. you are just some guy who wrote some songs. that's why I prefer seeing more mainstream bands, because ironically enough, they aren't usually as cokcy as underground and/or indie musicians.
afterthefact is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2006, 12:08 PM   #7
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I don't know; I have met a lot of musicians in my time, some very famous, some very unknown, and I have to say that 98% of them were very nice and pleased to carry on a conversation. I have had a couple of people be a little standoffish, but I attributed that to them just not being all that social. I'm not the most social of people myself, so I don't hold that against anyone. I have only had one or two people actually be what I would consider "rude," and even in those cases it was hardly over-the-top.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2006, 02:15 PM   #8
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
In my experience, I've really gone off bands if I talk to them and they're cocks. I have also had my opinion shoot up of a mediocre band if they're nice (without being cloying). I really like it when people say nice things about my band, but it can be quite draining on stage so I'm rarely any good at conversation afterwards. My favourites are the people who tell you why you're crap, they're the best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2006, 02:17 PM   #9
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I usually find it hard to meet bands, because it always seems everyone else wants to meet them when I do. I generally don't bother. I also feel like it bugs them, particularly if they're a popular band.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.21.2006, 03:37 PM   #10
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
I think most musicians love chatting and mingling. That's one of the main reasons why they're in a band. Let's face it, to enjoy their 15 minutes.

Lessons on how to mingle

All of us at one time or another experience the fear of meeting new people. We don’t know what to say or how to approach a stranger and get a conversation going. Listed below are a few do’s and don’ts, plus some simple ways to start a conversation with someone you don’t know. Try some of these techniques today at the seminar. You will be pleased with the results. The more you practice the better you’ll become and the less fearful you will feel.
  • If you are at a party, wedding or any social gathering, introduce yourself with a firm handshake and good eye contact. A good thing to ask the person you just met is "How do you know the hostess?" or "How do you know the bride?"
  • If you are attending a seminar ask someone "How did you hear about this seminar?" or "Have you attended any other seminars?"
  • Before you attend any social event you might want to skim the headlines of your local newspaper or The Wall Street Journal or USA Today. You can bring up the headlines and ask people what they think or know about the topic.
  • Pick safe general topics to discuss and try to avoid topics like religion or politics. These topics can bring out a lot of emotion for some people and that might be too much for a first meeting.
  • Humor is great but NEVER tell off color jokes or jokes that poke fun at a certain race or nationality. Laughing at yourself or one of your own life experiences can be entertaining for others if done without foul language or insults to others.
  • Most of us have trouble remembering names of people we have just met or don’t know very well. Don’t hesitate to repeat your name to everyone you meet even if you’ve met him or her before. This may prompt them to say their own name and if it doesn’t just ask them again for their name.
  • If you accept an invitation to a party it is a good idea to bring a small gift to the hostess or host of the function. You can be confident knowing that you have done something special. A gift like a bottle of wine, a box of chocolates or something homemade makes a wonderful hostess gift. The gift should not be expensive and should not require any action or work on part of the hostess.
  • When attending a function where you don’t know anyone ask the host or hostess to introduce you to one or two people to get you started. After that it is up to you to introduce yourself to others. If you are introverted or feeling shy you might ask your new acquaintances to introduce you to some people they know.
  • Ask questions that show interest in others. Remember people enjoy talking about themselves and like it when someone shows interest in who they are and what they think and feel. Don’t make the mistake of just talking about you. Also don’t act like a know it all. Even if you know a lot about a subject it is best to ask others about their thoughts and opinions.
  • Before leaving a party always make a point to find the host/hostess and thank them for inviting you. You don’t have to say goodbye to anyone else or announce your departure. When you know how to leave a function gracefully it is sometimes easier to attend the function and to stay.
Remember: The key to good mingling and meeting new people is to show interest in them. Smile, be enthusiastic and maintain a positive attitude. No one wants to be around a negative person that complains about others or life in general. Do your mingling The Positive Way and your will be very pleased with the results. Socializing will be fun and rewarding and not a painful experience. Enjoy!
Old 08.21.2006, 04:09 PM   #11
RdTv
invito al cielo

Good God, what have I done?
Old 08.21.2006, 04:12 PM   #12
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
Most musicians are very nice, some are pompous assholes though.
Old 08.21.2006, 06:03 PM   #13
Iain
invito al cielo

Iain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's assesIain kicks all y'all's asses
I don't talk to people in bands that often because I don't usually have a clue what to say. But when I have, pretty much all of them have been nice. Some of them super-nice.
Iain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth