Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Do you believe in ghosts?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.15.2010, 12:13 PM   #201
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
It's just what I predicted, isn't it? Even if you face the facts you'll find a way to tell yourself they're not there and ridicule everything that you cannot explain. But it's ok, it's a natural reaction. That's what I meant it sometimes requires the same blind willpower that religious fanatics have. Possibilities are possibilities, scientific thinking implies you'd have to consider them. If you can't prove or disproof something, then it just can't be considered a fact, you don't know.

There are lots and lots of things science cannot explain YET. There are other things it might be wrong about, like it has been in the past. There are certain schools of science that could even begin to formulate some theories to explain certain things - quantum psychics perhaps.

Another widely accepted theory that could relate to the subject is Jung's:

My thesis then, is as follows: in addition to our immediate consciousness, which is of a thoroughly personal nature and which we believe to be the only empirical psyche (even if we tack on the personal unconscious as an appendix), there exists a second psychic system of a collective, universal, and impersonal nature which is identical in all individuals. This collective unconscious does not develop individually but is inherited. It consists of pre-existent forms, the archetypes, which can only become conscious secondarily and which give definite form to certain psychic contents.

But of course, that one be one interpretation of it.

Once again:
Agnosticism is the view that the truth value of certain claims—especially claims about the existence or non-existence of any deity, but also other religious and metaphysical claims—is unknown or unknowable

You gotta remember the UNKNOWN or UNKNOWABLE part. There is no certainty implied.

Agnostic atheismAgnostic atheists are atheistic because they do not have belief in the existence of any deity, and agnostic because they do not claim to know that a deity does not exist.

Ghosts are still on the same level of reality of the invisible pink elephant living in my fridge unless you present some objective evidence (which no one in human history has ever done).

You really are grasping at straws now.
hevusa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2010, 12:20 PM   #202
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
How long did it take since the first theories about the atom were documented until it was actually proven?

In the 5th cent. B.C. the Greek philosophers Democritus and Leucippus proposed that matter was made up of tiny, indivisible particles they called atom, or in Greek "a-tomos".
By the 19th century, technology had advanced greatly and many elements had been discovered to work with. Using the available elements scientist such as John Dalton and Amedeo Avogadro forced them to interact with one another. From these interactions they were able to prove the existence of the atom.

Too bad we'll all be dead. Hope someone tells your ghost when it happens.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2010, 12:30 PM   #203
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
comparing ghosts to atoms now???
hahahahahhahahahahahahahah
this is getting better and better.
Old 10.15.2010, 12:34 PM   #204
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
why not? everything (above the plank level) contains them, professor.

why can't you argue in a civil manner?

the lad(ee) doth protesteth too much.
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2010, 12:44 PM   #205
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

Obviously more than one a day is needed:

The Cyclops. Also "not real".
Old 10.15.2010, 12:45 PM   #206
GeneticKiss
expwy. to yr skull

GeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's assesGeneticKiss kicks all y'all's asses
See, this is what I said before. Not only are you saying that you don't believe in ghosts, but also anyone does is lying not only to themselves but to everyone and therefore are detrimental (sp?) to society, so they should change their ways. You're PREACHING, which you claim to say you're against.

You're open-minded about pot being legalized, so why can't you be open to the idea that there are things that exist in this world that defy simple explanation? Or at the very least quit calling people stupid liars for believeing in things that can't yet be proven?
Old 10.15.2010, 12:50 PM   #207
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

^
here is undebatable proof
Old 10.15.2010, 12:50 PM   #208
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
that you behave like a vulture always looking for or creating an opportunity to attack me in any way and you seem so very excited about it every time? And then you send me private messages saying it's not serious, it's just a discussion and you don't mean to insult me and you respect me or whatever?

ha, now you know what its like when I post material about deep politics - but no one writes to me privately to say its not serious! Waah!

We understand our existence within 3 dimensions, but our preception is challenged beyond that - isn't also reasonable we exist in part in the 4th dimension and I can't even predict how that looks - I can't perceive the 4th dimension (well, I might've unlocked the keys once or twice).

I don't see why it so far fetched for consciousness to exist without form. I tend to believe consciousness came before the body anyway. Not that I have proof, but then, there is no proof the body came first either.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2010, 12:53 PM   #209
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toilet & Bowels
the other thing i find interesting about ghosts is that even though people no longer claim to see sea monsters, or dragons, or werewolves, or dog heads, etc. there hasn't been a comparable decline in ghost sightings

actual the cryptozoological websites seem busier than ever ... recently posted an old old photo of some civil war soldiers with a pterodactyl they shot. And there's that vampire thing in Mexico and south America that seems very active.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.15.2010, 12:55 PM   #210
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneticKiss
See, this is what I said before. Not only are you saying that you don't believe in ghosts, but also anyone does is lying not only to themselves but to everyone and therefore are detrimental (sp?) to society, so they should change their ways. You're PREACHING, which you claim to say you're against.

You're open-minded about pot being legalized, so why can't you be open to the idea that there are things that exist in this world that defy simple explanation? Or at the very least quit calling people stupid liars for believeing in things that can't yet be proven?

This is not about being open minded. This is about understanding the world around you. Is there a God? I don't know, but if you claim to have objective evidence about Gods existence you better damn well present it or shut the fuck up. This is what knox has done with ghosts yet she has failed to present any such evidence. In my eyes she is a fucking retard until she admits she was wrong or presents such evidence.

The moment I ever find such evidence I will be the first to admit that ghosts are real and indeed exist. Until then:

For Knox:
The Elf, The Devil, The Mermaid = NOT REAL
Old 10.15.2010, 01:00 PM   #211
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
I wasn't even comparing anything, just saying there has always been idiots with no imagination to claim everything was bullshit, and other people who persist for hundreds of years to prove a theory. Not because they wanted to prove anything to idiots, but just because they are more interested in what they don't know than they are in what they do imagine they know.

But things always change - and there are always new things to discover.
If you imagine only what you can see and touch is a possibility - than your life must be really limited.

In a past life, hevusa sat there going like: "hahhahahahah atom? next thing you'll say it's possible to take a dead man's heart and make it work for a living one hahahhahha"

We don't know shit about shit. But we'll learn more, you'll probably be able to learn more than 10 sentences too.

with great fear. In other words, I think that there are many things in the universe that we cannot perceive or penetrate, and that also we experience some of the most beautiful things in life only in a very primitive form.
- Albert Einstein, Interview with Peter A. Bucky, quoted in:
The Private Albert Einstein

Whenever this feeling is absent, science degenerates into uninspired empiricism.

- Albert Einstein, Letter to Maurice Solovine, January 1, 1951; quoted in Letters to Solovine (1993)

Uninspired empiricism describes your overall attitude hevusa.

Old 10.15.2010, 01:01 PM   #212
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

Since Knox is quoting Einstein now

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Einstein
Old 10.15.2010, 01:02 PM   #213
knox
invito al cielo

also

I nevet claimed to have objective evidence of anything, so don't be a liar, it's shitty.

Old 10.15.2010, 01:03 PM   #214
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by hevusa
Since Knox is quoting Einstein now

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the the universe. - Einstein

He was always right about everything, wasn't he?

Old 10.15.2010, 01:06 PM   #215
knox
invito al cielo

Quote:

Yeah, I think you're right. Or at least, not claim to be agnostic since this attitude clearly isn't agnostic.

Old 10.15.2010, 01:22 PM   #216
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Yes, PICTURES of things that have no matter. Yeah I'll upload my collection on youtube. You realise that sounds even MORE insane than claiming to see ghosts? It's like asking people with synesthesia to make youtubes of the colors they see with sounds.

Have you noticed, Ann Ashtray, that you behave like a vulture always looking for or creating an opportunity to attack me in any way and you seem so very excited about it every time? And then you send me private messages saying it's not serious, it's just a discussion and you don't mean to insult me and you respect me or whatever? And that makes you seem pretty creepy?

I'm very sorry to disappoint you but it's a thread about ghosts, not about Knox. I know that doesn't interest you as much, but you must respect it.

So, our eyes can see things that don't consist of matter? Please do explain, Knox. That has got to be one of the dumbest things I have ever, ever, ever heard.
Old 10.15.2010, 01:27 PM   #217
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Is this to say you haven't thought of the idea that not every ghost sighting has been reported? Some people may see a ghost but not tell anyone for fear of being dismissed or ridiculed. And even then, there may be insistances in which someone has seen a ghost and tells others but it never reaches an "official" documenter. Statistics don't always tell the whole story.

Well, unreported claims aren't much worth considering.
Old 10.15.2010, 01:35 PM   #218
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

For Knox:

Also Not Real-
Werewolfs
Zombies
The Sandman
Witches
Goblins

I'm only agnostic in regards to the concept of an omnipresent God. Not fucking ghosts or smurfs.

Shit....
For Knox: Also not real-
Smurfs
Old 10.15.2010, 01:40 PM   #219
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by hevusa
For Knox:

Also Not Real-
Werewolfs
Zombies
The Sandman
Witches
Goblins

I'm only agnostic in regards to the concept of an omnipresent God. Not fucking ghosts or smurfs.

Shit....

For Knox: Also not real-
Smurfs

YOU JUST FAIL TO CONSIDER THE EVIDENCE!

Old 10.15.2010, 01:49 PM   #220
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by ann ashtray
YOU JUST FAIL TO CONSIDER THE EVIDENCE!

Yes, the evidence for zombie werewolfs is overwhelming!

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth