Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Naked Lunch
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.06.2009, 05:24 AM   #21
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
There's no Burroughs thread that I could find so I'm posting here.

Been listening to the junky audiobook lately. Great stuff.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2009, 05:34 AM   #22
al shabbray

where to get?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2009, 05:36 AM   #23
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Are you anywhere? Are you holding? ... Do you have any junk or weed on you?

Beat ... To take someone's money. For example, addict A says he will buy junk for addict B but keeps the money instead. Addict A has "beat" addict B for the money.

Benny ... Benzedrine. It can also mean overcoat.

Bring down, Drag ... The opposite of high. Depressing.

Brown Stuff, or Mud ... Opium

Burn Down ... To overdo or run into the ground. Certain restaurants are used so much by junkies as meeting-places that the restaurant gets known to the police. Then the restaurant is "burned down."

Burning Down Habit, an Oil Burner Habit ... A heavy habit.

C, Coke, Charge, Charly ... Cocaine.

Caps ... Capsules of heroin.

Cat ... A man.

Chick ... A woman.

Chucks ... Excessive hunger, often for sweets. This comes on an addict when he has kicked his habit far enough so that he starts to eat. When an addict is cut off the junk, he can't eat for several days. I have seen addicts who did not eat for a month. Then he gets the "chucks" and eats everything in sight.

Clean ... A user is clean if he does not have any junk on his person or premises in the event of a search by the law.

Cold Turkey ... To quit using suddenly and completely with no gradual reduction of the dose. Almost always involuntary.

Collar ... Strip of paper wrapped around a dropper to make a tight fit with a needle.

Come on ... The way someone acts, his general manner and way of approaching others.

Come up ... A lush waking up while he is being robbed.

Cook ... To dissolve junk in water heated in a spoon or other container.

Cop ... To pass a cap of junk to someone; to hold out a hand for a cap.

Copper Jitters ... Exaggerated fear of cops. When you have the Copper Jitters, everybody looks like a cop.

Croaker ... A doctor.

Dig ... To size up, to understand, to like, or enjoy.

Fey ... White.

Five-Twenty-Nine ... Five months and twenty-nine days. This is the term in the workhouse that a lush-worker receives for "jostling." If a detective sees a lush-worker approach or touch a lush, he places a "jostling" charge.

Flop ... Drunk passed out on a subway station bench.

G ... One grain. Morphine is the standard for junk measurement. One-half grain of morphine is one "fix." A capsule of heroin should contain at least the equivalent of 1/2 grain of morphine. Heroin is seven times as strong as morphine.

Gold ... Money.

H, Horse, Henry ... Heroin.

Habit ... A junk habit. It takes at least a month of daily use to get a needle habit, two months for a smoking habit, four months for an eating habit.

Heavy ... Junk, as opposed to marijuana.

Hep or Hip ... Someone who knows the score. Someone who understands "jive talk." Someone who is "with it." The expression is not subject to definition because, if you don't "dig" what it means, no one can ever tell you.

High ... Feeling good, in a state of euphoria. You can be "high" on benny, weed, lush, nutmeg, ammonia (The Scrubwoman's Kick). You can be high without any chemical boot, just feeling good.

Hog ... Anyone who uses more junk than you do. To use over five grains per day puts a user in the hog class.

Hook ... Lush-workers usually work in pairs. One lush-worker covers his partner with a newspaper, while the other goes through the lush's pockets. The one who covers the other is the "hook."

Hooked ... To get a habit.

Hot, Uncool ... Somebody liable to attract attention from the law. A place watched by the law.

Hot Shot ... Poison, usually strychnine, passed to an addict as junk. The peddler sometimes slips a hot shot to an addict because the addict is giving information to the law.

The Hype, The Bill ... A short-change racket.

John ... Someone who keeps a woman and spends money on her.

Joy Bang ... An occasional shot by someone who does not have a habit.

Kick ... A word with several meanings. It can mean the effect of a drug or a mood brought on by some place, or person. "This bar gives me bad kicks." "This bar depresses me." You can also be on "good kicks." A kick is also a special way of looking at things so that the man who is "on kicks" sees things from a special angle.

Kick a Habit ... To quit using junk and get over a habit.

Lay on ... Give.

Loaded, On the Nod ... Full of junk.

Lush-worker ... A thief who specializes in robbing drunks on the subway.

M., M. S. ... Morphine, M. S. stands for Morphine Sulphate which is the morphine salt most commonly used in the U. S.

Main Line ... Vein, a vein injection.

Making Cars ... Breaking into parked cars and stealing the contents.

Mark ... Someone easy to rob, like a drunk with a roll of money.

Meet ... An appointment, usually between peddler and customer.

Nembies, Goof Balls, Yellow Jackets ... Nembutal capsules. Nembutal is a barbiturate used by junkies "to take the edge off" when they can't get junk.

P. G. ... Paregoric. A weak, camphorated tincture of opium, two grains to the ounce. Two ounces will fix a sick addict. It can be bought without prescription in some states. P. G. can be injected intravenously after burning out the alcohol and straining out the camphor.

The People ... Narcotics agents. Another New Orleans expression.

Pickup ... To use. Generally refers to weed. But you can "pickup" on nembies, lush, or junk.

Piece ... Gun.

Pigeon, Fink, Rat ... Informer.

Plant, Stash ... To hide something, usually junk, or an "outfit."

Poke ... Wallet.

Pop, Bang, Shot, Fix ... Injection of junk. Pop Corn ... Someone with a legitimate job, as opposed to a "hustler" or thief. Pusher, Peddler, "The Man" ... Junk seller. "The Man"

is a New Orleans expression, and can also refer to a Narcotics Agent. Put Down a Hype or Routine ... To give someone a story, to persuade, or con someone. Put Your Hand Out ... To go through a lush's pockets. Score ... To buy weed or marijuana. Serve, Take Care Of ... To sell junk to a user. Shake, Rumble ... Search by the law. Skin ... Skin injection. Sick, Gaping, Yenning ... Sickness caused by lack of junk.

Smash ... Change, money, coins. Square ... The opposite of hip. Someone who does not understand the jive. Spade ... A Negro.

Speed Ball ... Cocaine mixed with morphine or heroin. Spike ... Needle.

Stuff, Junk ... General terms for opium and all derivatives of opium: morphine, heroin, Dilaudid, pantopon, codeine, dionine. Take a Fall ... To get arrested. Tea head, Head, Viper ... User of marijuana. Tie-up ... Tie, or handkerchief, used as a tourniquet for a vein shot. User, Hype, Junky, Junker, Shmecker ... Junk addict.

Weed, Tea, Gage, Grass, Greefa, Muggles, Pot, Hash ... Marijuana, hashish.

White stuff ... Morphine, or heroin, as opposed to "brown stuff."

Working the Hole ... Lush-working.

Works, Outfit, Joint ... A user's outfit for injecting junk. Consists of an eyedropper, hypodermic needle, strip of paper to fit the dropper tight into the needle, and a spoon or other container in which to dissolve the junk.

Write ... To write a narcotic prescription. To "make a Croaker for a Script" means to persuade a doctor to write a prescription for junk.

Wrong ... Term used to describe an informer.

Yen Pox ... Ash of opium after the opium has been smoked. Yen Pox contains about the same morphine content as opium before smoking. It can be eaten with hot coffee, or dissolved in water and injected intravenously.

Old 01.06.2009, 05:37 AM   #24
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?jxdzfadzmzd

junky.. it's 3 hours and 5 minutes long, and it's about 90mb or something.

Old 01.06.2009, 05:38 AM   #25
al shabbray

freakin awesome!
thanks!!!

edit: all the rep goes out to you
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2009, 07:41 AM   #26
shentov
expwy. to yr skull

shentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's asses
thanks, atsonicpark.
Old 01.06.2009, 12:55 PM   #27
Alex's Trip
invito al cielo

Alex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's assesAlex's Trip kicks all y'all's asses
I read like half of Naked Lunch two years ago, and decided that it wouldn't make a difference if I finished reading or not, and did not continue.
Old 01.06.2009, 03:03 PM   #28
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I read a few pages in the bookstore and couldn't stand it.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2009, 03:13 PM   #29
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
i think the western lands trilogy is by far a better example of WSB's work. Naked lunch is good but i don't think it is a great book. As for the movie I think Cronenberg did a very good job of it and made it into a tenable piece of cinema.
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.06.2009, 03:15 PM   #30
shentov
expwy. to yr skull

shentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's assesshentov kicks all y'all's asses
not an easy read, thats for sure.
but if you get really into it, it's a fucking great experience.
i needed a couple of times re-reading it, and i'm definately not sorry i got the understanding.

it's worth it.
Old 01.06.2009, 09:57 PM   #31
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Naked Lunch is whatever you make of it. I find it amazing.. really interesting, thought-provoking, well-written, and most of all -- fucking hilarious! It's not easy reading, but I've read some stuff that's a loooooot more difficult to read (look up BLOOD ELECTRIC...).

My personal favorite Burroughs is THE TICKET THAT EXPLODED.

Old 01.07.2009, 12:34 AM   #32
Dr. Eugene Felikson
invito al cielo

Dr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's assesDr. Eugene Felikson kicks all y'all's asses
Anyone read Queer yet? It's been sitting on my shelf for a while now and I haven't gotten around to checking it out. Although it's a partial sequel to Junky, I've heard that it's not nearly as good.
Dr. Eugene Felikson is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2009, 03:01 AM   #33
shentov
expwy. to yr skull

you can't say 'nearly as good' competing queer and junky. they are just different. i liked queer very much. it has a storyline! + is a funny and emotional read.
the ticked that exploded! personal favorite too, atsonicpark!
Old 01.07.2009, 07:11 AM   #34
ihateyouth
children of satan

ihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's assesihateyouth kicks all y'all's asses
Burroughs + Cronenberg = geniusgenius.

ihateyouth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.07.2009, 07:45 AM   #35
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
love the book, love the film
Old 01.09.2009, 07:20 AM   #36
me.
stalker

me. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's assesme. kicks all y'all's asses
Not read that one of his yet...
me. is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.21.2009, 10:24 AM   #37
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Anyone seen the documentary Burroughs? I think it's from 1984 or something. I got a copy of it, though I just looked and it's on google video as well. Awesome stuff.

Old 10.21.2009, 10:44 AM   #38
Seandi
stalker

Seandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's assesSeandi kicks all y'all's asses
Junky is probably the best book to start with
Seandi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.21.2009, 11:30 AM   #39
themawt71
the destroyed room

themawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's assesthemawt71 kicks all y'all's asses
burroughs was not using the cut up technique yet with naked lunch tho it might seem like that's the case.

i like both the book and the movie. and like atsonic wrote the humor is really great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racehorse
. the cut-up technique was an original and "far out there" existential technique yada yada yada, yeah, but i find the majority of the writing terribly boring.
themawt71 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.21.2009, 11:35 AM   #40
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
i havent read any of the thread
but i must say

i fucking love naked lunch

love it.

know all the parts.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth