Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page I was watching 91 Year Punk Broke yesterday...
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.02.2008, 03:39 PM   #21
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
Yeah, I'd like to read old Jesus Lizard show reviews if there are any.

This show from 93 sounds awesome:

Joined by the Boredoms, the Meat Puppets, and Cali DeWitt, the band jammed on "Smells Like Teen Spirit" at the end of the show, featuring horns and the Boredoms' Yamatsuka Eye on vocals.

My friend was at that show (Buffalo '93). The recording really doesn't do it justice, but there's a brief clip on youtube (it's a Boredoms montage, including footage from the '93 Nirvana tour) somewhere...
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2008, 01:49 AM   #22
ShermanLoper
little trouble girl

ShermanLoper kicks all y'all's assesShermanLoper kicks all y'all's assesShermanLoper kicks all y'all's assesShermanLoper kicks all y'all's assesShermanLoper kicks all y'all's assesShermanLoper kicks all y'all's assesShermanLoper kicks all y'all's assesShermanLoper kicks all y'all's assesShermanLoper kicks all y'all's assesShermanLoper kicks all y'all's assesShermanLoper kicks all y'all's asses
My band Kai Kln got the opening slot for Nirvana and Dino Jr 06/17/91 - Crest Theatre, Sacramento, CA (http://www.nirvanaguide.com/1991.php). We traded our band's shirts for Dino Jr.'s shirts and got to meet everyone backstage. When The Year Punk Broke there's a scene with Dino Jr. eating lunch at some festival and one of them has our band's shirt on. There's my 15 min of fame story being that my band ended up making it much farther than North CA...

...it impresses some of my kid's friends, lol.
ShermanLoper is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2008, 01:58 AM   #23
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
Let me remind everyone that I have that movie on my sig.
Old 05.03.2008, 02:49 AM   #24
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
and it fucking ruled as always. It had been about 8 years since I had watched the whole thing (I own the VHS)

watching Nirvana made me remember how fucking great it was that, after having heard Bleach from a collector frien dof mine, nevermind came out and I bought it and love dit. I was telling my girlfriend how great it was that it took like 7-8 full months before Nevermind caught on in the mainstream, which was awesome because rarely does one get the chance to hold onto a personal fave that you know is so good that people will fucking LOVE IT if they only ahve a chance to hear it.

most of those records get swept up by the mainstream masses and then it is on it's own strange trip, but with nevermind, I got to share it with people and it wa just so amazing while it lasted, while it was "mine" you know?

has this happend to anyone else with albums? or with Nevermind?

With Nirvana it was so fucking weird because the first time I saw them was at this tiny dive in Seattle called Squid Row and they were opening for Skin Yard (who I'd gone to see) and there were literally like 5 people in the audience. I'd never heard of them at all and they were way more metal at that time than even later on when they'd do Bleach stuff, but they were so fucking amazing I was in shock. I left after they played because I didn't want to see another band that night as it couldn't be as good, and I literally said out loud to myself, "That's the best band in the world, and nobody will ever know!"

Now, of course I was half right and half way wrong, and later when they got bigger in Seattle I remember agreeing with a friend that if they ever got a big label behind them they'd probably be huge since they had this incredible pop underbelly that the other "Seattle Sound" (we didn't use the word grunge yet, though we called them "grungy") bands didn't have. But when I first saw that band, they were the most personal underground experience ever. I knew that stuff was going on in my hometown that was more intense than anything in Rolling Stone or on the radio, and I didn't quite get yet that it would be found out, and bought out.

I just watched '91 myself too, for the first time since '92 actually! It was like I remembered, awesome live performances, and a lot of bored tour bullshit in between. Like you point out, that seemed to be part of the statement, that the vitality of the movement was being eaten just as it was recognized for that same vitality. Underground bands that shred it up completely in small clubs get recognized for it at last and suddenly they are playing to thousands of small clubs at one time all crowded into one big arena - and then they are doing that every night and traveling the world while seeing none of it, and they are utterly fucking bored. Except while they were on stage, at least still at that point. Daddy's little girl, 'aint a girl no more.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth