Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Mushrooms are a power, not a drug, and power must be yielded wisely.. discuss.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 08.30.2008, 06:29 PM   #41
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
No no no no no!!!

hey hey where you goin' in such a hurry?

floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.30.2008, 06:39 PM   #42
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
^^^Love that pics, floatingguy.

I'm in a hurry, to wait for a curry (to be delivered).
Old 08.30.2008, 07:22 PM   #43
HECKLER SPRAY
invito al cielo

HECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's assesHECKLER SPRAY kicks all y'all's asses
Sincerely, I hope that you'll grow up before all the drugs you take screw up your brain...

HECKLER SPRAY is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.30.2008, 07:49 PM   #44
reginald
stalker

reginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's asses
I remember the first time I did shrooms, we didn't know how much to ingest. So, we boiled about 15 really big ones in a pot and made a tea. I drank a huge glass and part of another to make sure to get an impact. My friends were like, "Hey, they're organic, we can't possibly OD."

SHEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEESHHHHHHHHH !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was blitzed beyond belief...I almost lost it. These were caps and stems from Nacogdoches, Texas and were ultra potent. At the time, you could be SHOT picking the fungus.....Whew !!!!!

Last time I did mushrooms, I acquired them while visiting at the High Times magazine office in NYC, brought in by a delivery guy !! haahahaha......

reginald is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.30.2008, 09:28 PM   #45
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
yes, if you are referring to synthetics like LSD-25, MDMA, or PCP.

However, Daturas, certain mushrooms, a mescaline cacti, DMT, and hundreds of other hallucinogenic plants are all naturally occurring, in fact, your brain already produces low quantities of DMT for a yet unknown purpose, the same way it produces THC and morphine as endorphins and endocannibinoids

I accept that these naturally occuring chemicals can alter the consciousness of the human mind to enhance perception.

You see, I feel quite the opposite. I think these naturally occuring chemicals were created by the plant to poison the human mind and body and convince the humans not to continue eating the plants. They are a defense mechanism. There may be hallucinagenic side effects to the toxic qualities of these chemicals, but the poison is the reason they exist.

LSD on the other hand was created by a chemist for the purpose of reaching an altered state. It may have toxic side effects, but the hallucanegic qualities are the reason for the chemical's existence.

I don't do hallucinagenics anymore, and haven't in years, but I always felt the effects of LSD were more positive and less sickening than mushrooms. Every time I did mushrooms, and the one time I did peyote, I felt sick, which is what the plants evolved to make us do, as a defense mechanism. I did LSD hundreds of times, and the only times it made me feel bad were the times it was of questionable purity.

I won't get into whether altered states can actually change reality or not. However, I think Aldous Huxley called The Doors of Perception that for a reason. Perception is how we see reality.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.30.2008, 09:34 PM   #46
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
LSD happened because albert hofmann was working in a lab trying to use ergot fungus for something medically viable. and it ended up being LSD.

nothing spiritual going on here. once again.
Old 08.30.2008, 09:53 PM   #47
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ni'k
such friends, the way you are talking - it almost seems like you are suggesting
that mushrooms take you to a different reality that always exists. as in the power they have is to unlock a state of mind that is always present. Most people instead think its just making the reality you inhabit now feel different.

i would agree with you if this is what you are suggesting. i believe that all different states of reality exist simultaenously and by ingesting shrooms or whatever we simply unlock the door to them. a bit like changing the resolution on yr computer monitor only in your mind.

If humanity got to a state where shrooms became a part of our diet permanently and our brains eventually evolved to accomodate this then the laws of physics written would prob include explanations for monstors coming out the tv screen, or whatever trippy shit becomes the norm.

Shrooms are both a drug and a power. The more people take them, the more time humans spend on them, then the more their power becomes a part of society. However at the moment since they are taken by so few the reality of shrooms is limited in the potentials it can offer to deal with a generally non tripping society.

All power corrupts of course.

That's some Phillip K. Dick shit there.

I don't quite agree with what you're saying, but I think there is some truth to it. I believe psychedelic drugs get their hallucinogenic by extreme activation of the part of the brain that imagines and is most likely largely influenced by the subconscious, which is linked to the Jungian collective consciousness, which while it may not be truly a mass of connective consciousness, perhaps in the subconscious we are much more aware of the world around us based on are own observations to such an extent of extreme intuition that is mixed in with complete nonsense when released via drugs (as in the old Greek Oracles) that has been mistaken for clairvoyance.
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.30.2008, 09:55 PM   #48
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
things within my definition of a drug fit that list, but for I-man

drug= synthetic

there are chemicals in an apple that can affect heart rate or mood but we do not think of fruit as being psychotropic..

Well many foods have small amounts of one chemical or another that I'd classify as a drug. It's a pretty far reaching term. Chocolate and Caffeine are drugs after all.
Old 08.30.2008, 10:05 PM   #49
Cantankerous
invito al cielo

Cantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's assesCantankerous kicks all y'all's asses
drug = synthetic

bull. shit.

most drugs originate from plants and are then partially synthesised during processing. cocaine, heroin, LSD... even marijunana is rarely completely natural.
Old 08.31.2008, 09:10 PM   #50
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cantankerous
LSD happened because albert hofmann was working in a lab trying to use ergot fungus for something medically viable. and it ended up being LSD.

nothing spiritual going on here. once again.

Read my post again. I never claimed there was anything spiritual going on at all. And I wasn't talking about the discovery. Merely that I don't buy the whole, "It's natural so it's better" hippie argument for mushrooms over LSD. LSD is created (and I'm talking here and now) by a chemist who is making something purely for the purpose of getting you high. Mushrooms are created by cowshit for the purpose of being inedible mushrooms, and you get high from the side effects of the poison. The "natural high" is a matter of hallucinating while being sick to one's stomach.
Old 08.31.2008, 09:12 PM   #51
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah, the whole "it's natural, maaaan" thing that hippies alway argue about is really annoying......and I'm all for "natural" things.
Old 08.31.2008, 09:53 PM   #52
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air

LSD on the other hand was created by a chemist for the purpose of reaching an altered state. It may have toxic side effects, but the hallucanegic qualities are the reason for the chemical's existence.

no, LSD was created by a chemist in his twenty fifth attempt on concocting a new cold medicine that functions similar to norepinephrine from a Lysergic Acid base..

"I further employed my synthetic procedure to produce new lysergic acid compounds for which uterotonic activity was not prominent, but from which, on the basis of their chemical structure, other types of interesting pharmacological properties could be expected. In 1938, I produced the twenty-fifth substance in this series of lysergic acid derivatives: lysergic acid diethylamide, abbreviated LSD-25 (Lyserg-saure-diathylamid) for laboratory usage.
I had planned the synthesis of this compound with the intention of obtaining a circulatory and respiratory stimulant (an analeptic). Such stimulating properties could be expected for lysergic acid diethylamide, because it shows similarity in chemical structure to the analeptic already known at that time, namely nicotinic acid diethylamide (Coramine). During the testing of LSD-25 in the pharmacological department of Sandoz, whose director at the time was Professor Ernst Rothlin, a strong effect on the uterus was established. It amounted to some 70 percent of the activity of ergobasine. The research report also noted, in passing, that the experimental animals became restless during the narcosis. The new substance, however, aroused no special interest in our pharmacologists and physicians; testing was therefore discontinued."

but you are absolutely correct regarding perception.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYRFox
Okay, then cannabis is not a drug either, nor is cocaine, etc.

no not cannabis, but the verdict is in:

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 08.31.2008, 09:55 PM   #53
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpectralJulianIsNotDead
That's some Phillip K. Dick shit there.

I don't quite agree with what you're saying, but I think there is some truth to it. I believe psychedelic drugs get their hallucinogenic by extreme activation of the part of the brain that imagines and is most likely largely influenced by the subconscious, which is linked to the Jungian collective consciousness, which while it may not be truly a mass of connective consciousness, perhaps in the subconscious we are much more aware of the world around us based on are own observations to such an extent of extreme intuition that is mixed in with complete nonsense when released via drugs (as in the old Greek Oracles) that has been mistaken for clairvoyance.

This is a fabulous explanation as to my meaning in the word "power". the power of mushrooms is its ability to grant access to this subconscious where "we are much more aware of the world around us based on are own observations to such an extent of extreme intuition"
Quote:
Originally Posted by krastian
Yeah, the whole "it's natural, maaaan" thing that hippies alway argue about is really annoying......and I'm all for "natural" things.

natural things are more scary. I would snort and 8-ball of coke before I every drank a datura tea and I have never even snorted one single line before! plants are dangerous to the spirit, which is the very source of consciousness and life. you damage that, and the flesh will merely fall apart. hence the title of this thread, "and power must be yielded wisely."

Old 09.01.2008, 12:28 AM   #54
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Quote:
no, LSD was created by a chemist in his twenty fifth attempt on concocting a new cold medicine that functions similar to norepinephrine from a Lysergic Acid base..

"I further employed my synthetic procedure to produce new lysergic acid compounds for which uterotonic activity was not prominent, but from which, on the basis of their chemical structure, other types of interesting pharmacological properties could be expected. In 1938, I produced the twenty-fifth substance in this series of lysergic acid derivatives: lysergic acid diethylamide, abbreviated LSD-25 (Lyserg-saure-diathylamid) for laboratory usage.
I had planned the synthesis of this compound with the intention of obtaining a circulatory and respiratory stimulant (an analeptic). Such stimulating properties could be expected for lysergic acid diethylamide, because it shows similarity in chemical structure to the analeptic already known at that time, namely nicotinic acid diethylamide (Coramine). During the testing of LSD-25 in the pharmacological department of Sandoz, whose director at the time was Professor Ernst Rothlin, a strong effect on the uterus was established. It amounted to some 70 percent of the activity of ergobasine. The research report also noted, in passing, that the experimental animals became restless during the narcosis. The new substance, however, aroused no special interest in our pharmacologists and physicians; testing was therefore discontinued."

but you are absolutely correct regarding perception

You missed my point the same way Cantankerous did. I wasn't talking about Hoffman when I said "created by a chemist". He discovered it, by accident. Since then, uncountable chemists have created it intentionally for the purpose of causing a hallucinagenic high.

When you take acid you are taking a drug that for the most part does one thing, which is affects the central nervous system in a way that creates euphoria and hallucinations. When you eat shrooms you are ingesting quite a few different chemicals which evolution has developed as a defense mechanism to convince you not to ingest them. There is a side effect to these toxins which causes some of the same effects LSD has.

Given the choice, I'd personally always take the drug that doesn't come with all of the bonus chemicals to make you sick and occasionally cause paralysis. I also think the shamans would have given up on mushrooms ages ago if they'd had such a choice available to them.
Old 09.01.2008, 08:31 AM   #55
gmku
invito al cielo

gmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's assesgmku kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
"Mushrooms are a power, not a drug. Like all power, they must be yielded wisely."

Mushrooms are a power, not a drug.

What are your thoughts?

Are mushrooms a power or a drug?

I didn't read your link but I can say I like mushrooms as a food. For a while, I enjoyed portobello mushroom "burgers" and I still like buttom mushrooms, sauteed in butter, to things like scrambled eggs and as a topping on burgers, etc.

Is that what you mean? In no way do I consider them a drug. At the same time I hardly see how they give you power. They don't even have much nutritional value .
Old 09.01.2008, 08:37 AM   #56
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by floatingslowly
Oh for crying out loud, when you start beleiving psychedelic drugs are keys to unlock doors to alternative realities there is only one clear message to heed: STOP TAKING PSYCHEDELIC DRUGS!

You unattributed-quote my ass and don't even rep me for it? Bastard!

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2008, 01:21 PM   #57
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

You know, mushrooms and pot and LSD don't really interest me.

But I kind of want to take Peyote someday.
Old 09.01.2008, 02:17 PM   #58
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
When you eat shrooms you are ingesting quite a few different chemicals which evolution has developed as a defense mechanism to convince you not to ingest them.

I also think the shamans would have given up on mushrooms ages ago if they'd had such a choice available to them.

remember, it is not just the visual or mental stimulation that is important, it is also very much the physical and the spiritual. People do not climb mountains or run tri-athalons strictly for the scenery or the experience, but also because of the extremeness demanded by the activities. From the work is produced a beautiful experience. This is the same with mushrooms and most other "shamanistic" plants, there is a definite physical aspect to the experience which is an integral part.

Old 09.01.2008, 02:22 PM   #59
This Is Not Here
invito al cielo

This Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's assesThis Is Not Here kicks all y'all's asses
I climb mountains just for the scenery and experience, the physical challege is invariably part of it, but its never WHY I do it.

~~Record of the moment~~
This Is Not Here is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.01.2008, 02:31 PM   #60
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by This Is Not Here
I climb mountains just for the scenery and experience, the physical challege is invariably part of it, but its never WHY I do it.

No, my point was that it is part of the experience, if you didn't want the physical task of hiking/climbing, you would just watch that shit on TV, it is often a better view anyways! I can't fucking climb everest, but I have seen the panorama from its summit dozens of times, and it is beyond description! but alas, I have never climbed everest!

So to is a shamanistic experience without the physical test..it is merely deprived.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth