Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Is Trump really a serious contender for the Republican nomination?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.16.2018, 05:12 PM   #4781
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
US involvement in the Yemen war just got deeper

https://www.pri.org/stories/2016-10-...ust-got-deeper
ilduclo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2018, 06:38 PM   #4782
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Also, Bytor, you aren't winning any points by using the term Squaw. Politics aside, your comments on race in this thread are seriously problematic. I consider you a friend and you are really digging a hole for yourself here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Erik - thank you for your friendship here over the years. I realize I must have said something horribly offensive for you to call me out.

YES - referring to someone as Squaw when that individual is misusing a bloodline percentage was in poor taste and I do apologize! As they say, two wrongs don’t make a right.

I guess me asking (and providing video) of the CNN reporter / Democratic Party referring to Kanye as a -Dumb Negro- was out of line? I’ve never used the ‘N’ Word here as slang or in a derogatory way.....but if that is how you or anyone else here received it......offended by my question......please accept my apologies and I’m happy to go back and delete the post.

The only other time I remember you raising a point of contention was with my use of the term, hermaphrodite, several months ago.

Again, All apologies to anyone here that I have offended......probably best that I go put up my shovel.

After a day of sleep and further review of my post over the past few weeks, other than using the term, Squaw......what else are you referring to?

Token Negro = Dumb Negro?

For those who didn’t watch the video, it was a black CNN show host who said, “this is what happens when a Negro doesn’t read,” regarding Kanye West’s visit with our President. Someone else during that broadcast referenced Kanye West was being a, Token Negro.

Asking if the Democratic Party was saying that a Token Negro equals a Dumb Negro isn’t me being racist......and respectfully, Sir, I resent the implication if in fact that is what you’re referencing?

re: Token Negro = Dumb Negro

Why didn’t any Democrats come out and say this is wrong? Why didn’t any Democrats point out that it was a good thing that Kanye West was being involved, possibly encouraging younger people to do so??? Like when the musicians would promote Rock The Vote.

Just imagine if Sean Hannity said, “that’s what happens when a Negro doesn’t read” when Obama hosted a rapper at the White House......everyone here and on TV would be SCREAMING about how wrong that was.

And guess what......they would be right!

And guess what......Republicans would stand up and say that was wrong!!!

Can you see the difference?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bytor Peltor
Can you spell: H Y P O C R I S Y
Bytor Peltor is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2018, 08:15 PM   #4783
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
All I was really saying is that in these times,us white people really shouldn't be using the term "negro," and it doesn't set anyone up to listen to you when you use terms like that. That one is definitely outmoded, if not "offensive" per se.
Squaw, on the other hand, is definitely an outright slur and is seen as such.
If you want people to listen, let alone be persuaded, HOW you say it actually does count. And saying it that way, even supposedly quoting someone, only makes the other side dig in their heels.
That's really all I've got to say. I said what I said as a friend and I'm sorry you feel insulted.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.16.2018, 10:21 PM   #4784
Bytor Peltor
Banned

Bytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's assesBytor Peltor kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
And saying it that way, even supposedly quoting someone, only makes the other side did in their heels.

Supposedly?

A) you didn’t watch the video?
or
B) you’re assuming I didn’t make the quote up?

I don’t believe using the term -Negro- when referring to a quote is racist at all. Personally, I don’t see it as being any different than saying -Negro League- when discussing a time in baseball long ago. It’s perfectly acceptable to say, so & so played in the Negro League.

When I asked black colleagues I work with if they had heard what the black CNN reporter said......then I quoted it to them before playing the video, not one of them said I was doing anything wrong. Of course, this is probably due to the fact that I’ve worked with them for over 25 years and they know me as someone who doesn’t go around using the ‘N’ word.

I’m happy to apologize again for using -squaw- as a slur......but other than that, I’ll let my years of posting here at SYG represent the good history I’ve established and I’ll heed your concerns when posting in the future!
Old 10.17.2018, 02:09 PM   #4785
ilduclo
invito al cielo

ilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's assesilduclo kicks all y'all's asses
"Saudi torturer listened to music on headphones as he dismembered Journalist Jamal Khashoggi"

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/saudi-tort...report-1666751

"CARVED UP ALIVE Saudi kill squad ‘cut off journalist Jamal Khashoggi’s fingers one by one and dissolved body parts in acid’
It's also claimed The Saudi General Consul to Turkey was heard telling the alleged torturers to kill the journalist 'outside' because he didn't want to get into trouble"

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/751490...dy-parts-acid/
Old 10.18.2018, 06:23 AM   #4786
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
help me out here. i’m trying to figure a way forward, not a way back. i don’t see identity politics necessarily as an abandonment of rational ideas. i see it as a demand for redress of longstanding historical injustices. i think that once the dialectic is worked out and we define a new enlightenment subject *in practical, actual, cultural terms*, we will all be better for it.

then again maybe all devolves into a fucked up racial or religious war. in that case i’ll fight for the future alliance of federated agnostic mongrels in which everyone is cousins and don’t importune each other with religious proselytizing.

Identity Politics, as it's defined from within and being implemented, privileges one voice over another, fundamentally. It believes that for one group to speak, another must be silent. That's my lived experience of it, at the level of working in an institution that's adopted it as policy. We can argue about the theoretical underpinnings of it but as you say yourself, it's about praxis, not abstract ideas. But my experience isn't necessarily extendable to the situation as a whole.

Either way, I don't think Trump is a phenomenon reducible to Identity politics, or a backlash against it (I'm sure you don't either). My real interest in it is why so many people who would've traditionally called themselves Left wing appear to be turning away from traditionally (but in my view now only nominally) Left wing political parties. My perspective was always focused on Britain/Europe but the Trump election made me interested in the US, too. I read J.D. Vance's book, Hillbilly Elegy, alongside, albeit more polemical stuff like Mick Hume's Revolting, which lead me to make real connections between what was going on in the US, with Trump, and what I saw happening here, with Brexit. As someone who considers themselves 'of the Left' who voted for Brexit against the EU, and (had I ben eligible) would've probably voted for Trump over Hillary (at least in hindsight) that interests me.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2018, 07:35 AM   #4787
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by demonrail666
Identity Politics, as it's defined from within and being implemented, privileges one voice over another, fundamentally. It believes that for one group to speak, another must be silent. That's my lived experience of it, at the level of working in an institution that's adopted it as policy. We can argue about the theoretical underpinnings of it but as you say yourself, it's about praxis, not abstract ideas. But my experience isn't necessarily extendable to the situation as a whole.

right. because it’s not. here for example some tribes said no oil pipeline through my water supply and the pipeline went through anyway.

black football players started protesting the killing of black people by police and the police keeps killing and the protestors get branded traitors

so, no, i don’t see this phenomenon in practice

here it’s always the same people that keep getting silenced

Quote:
Either way, I don't think Trump is a phenomenon reducible to Identity politics, or a backlash against it (I'm sure you don't either).

i do. i said so before. i see it primarily as an ethnic phenomenon.

sure it has other pieces but to me that’s the core.

this is the corollary of what the republican party has been doing since, oh... the 60s, 70s?

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Southern_strategy
Quote:
My real interest in it is why so many people who would've traditionally called themselves Left wing appear to be turning away from traditionally (but in my view now only nominally) Left wing political parties. My perspective was always focused on Britain/Europe but the Trump election made me interested in the US, too. I read J.D. Vance's book, Hillbilly Elegy, alongside, albeit more polemical stuff like Mick Hume's Revolting, which lead me to make real connections between what was going on in the US, with Trump, and what I saw happening here, with Brexit. As someone who considers themselves 'of the Left' who voted for Brexit against the EU, and (had I ben eligible) would've probably voted for Trump over Hillary (at least in hindsight) that interests me.

why so many people are turning away, probably because with universal ideals disappearing people are going back to their tribal identities.

and yes the loss of the ideal is why i think a way forward is important. what was called “the vision thing” in the clinton era. where is the new enlightenment?

here 2 interesting bits of stuff to make us all worry:

1. prof. brian o’blivion (lol) on the return of tribalism
https://youtu.be/FvATW2nfYZg
(had he only lived to see social media...)
long live the new flesh...

2. this article that harks back to david hume
https://www.wired.com/story/why-pure...can-tribalism/

yep, it’s the fall of rome... and attila is coming
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2018, 07:36 AM   #4788
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Trump is the end result of a society/culture that has placed financial achievement above anything else. This is purely a class/money issue. The racism, the sexism, the patriarchal shit, the willful neglect of people who need help, all this comes out of the greed of the sociopaths on top.
Old 10.18.2018, 07:37 AM   #4789
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
eventually, the only way for them to end up is totalitarian surveillance states.
Old 10.18.2018, 07:38 AM   #4790
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Which makes Trumps cozying up to North Korea, Saudi, Russia, etc all the more telling.
Old 10.18.2018, 08:47 AM   #4791
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
i call it the corollary this person calls it the end, same difference—the monster is out

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...hern-strategy/

please note that the article correctly points out that for the majority of american history politics was OVERTLY racist.

in other words: the promise of the enlightenment was delivered only to one ethnic group

(because, as previously: passion enslaves reason, affect creates cognitive bias)

yes yes. we’re fucked as a species.

another chance thrown out the window
Old 10.18.2018, 09:41 AM   #4792
ilduclo
invito al cielo

More Trumpjudges Ⓡ, this time, featuring NO HEARINGS!

Alison Jones Rushing, who graduated law school in 2007, is potentially one of the better selections in Trump’s cavalcade of mostly laughable judicial nominations. Beyond KKK lover Brett Talley, we’ve had Jeff “Satan Boy” Mateer, Matthew “the dog ate my homework” Petersen, and Ryan “what I meant when I said minorities were whiny ethnics was…” Bounds. At least she’s not in any danger of getting an ABA “not-qualified” tag like now confirmed Judge L. Steven Grasz and her appellate practice is certainly a better résumé line item than “anti-gay blogger” like confirmed Judge John Bush. When your expectations are so low, the little things matter.

https://abovethelaw.com/2018/08/trum...chool-in-2007/

in other judicial news: Manafort will have to wear his prison onesie to get sentenced

A federal judge on Wednesday rejected Paul Manafort’s request to wear a professional suit during a hearing later this week about his sentence, noting the former Trump campaign chairman is now a felon who has lost the right to wear street clothing in all his court proceedings.

“This defendant should be treated no differently from other defendants who are in custody post conviction,” U.S. District Court Judge T.S. Ellis III wrote in a sharply worded order.

T.S. Ellis III : "I grow old, I grow old...."
Old 10.18.2018, 10:01 AM   #4793
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

@demonyo

on being left out of the enlightenment

https://youtu.be/l_LeJfn_qW0

haaa haaaa haaaa

still a classic
Old 10.18.2018, 10:39 AM   #4794
ilduclo
invito al cielo

Julián Castro says he’s 'likely' to run in 2020

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaig...to-run-in-2020

wow!
Old 10.18.2018, 04:50 PM   #4795
tesla69
Banned

tesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's assestesla69 kicks all y'all's asses
Thank President Trump! He's at least trying to stop these organized peace invasions, now he needs to address the situation in Honduras, to the point of sending in troops and overwhelming surgical force to take out the gangs and domestic terrorists that force the citizens to flee. The country has just been slammed with 2 massive hurricanes. We have too much to deal with and the economy is just about to tip.

Identity Politics are not class based: the struggle is not for land, the struggle is to have an identity.
tesla69 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2018, 09:00 PM   #4796
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69
Thank President Trump! He's at least trying to stop these organized peace invasions, now he needs to address the situation in Honduras, to the point of sending in troops and overwhelming surgical force to take out the gangs and domestic terrorists that force the citizens to flee. The country has just been slammed with 2 massive hurricanes. We have too much to deal with and the economy is just about to tip.

Identity Politics are not class based: the struggle is not for land, the struggle is to have an identity.
to have— or to keep—

and so, just like minorities now refuse to be erased from history any longer, the magas are trying to keep the old white supremacist national identity alive, way past its time

and instead of negotiating, everyone just shouts
Old 10.19.2018, 04:19 AM   #4797
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I think where I'm wrong making links between Britain and the US (via Brexit and Trump) is that while race obviously plays a part in British politics, and an increasingly bigger part by the looks of things, i'd say it's still far less significant and divisive here than it seems to be in the USA.
Old 10.19.2018, 04:38 AM   #4798
demonrail666
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tesla69

Yes in terms of they're different, but class politics isn't about land either.
Old 10.19.2018, 08:48 AM   #4799
Bytor Peltor
Banned

They could have killed him anywhere, but chose to do it where everyone knew he would be......inside the consulate, within earshot of so many.

Even if they invented a cover story: we were interrogating him, he had a heart attack and we panicked and carved up his body to hide what happened......his torturous death was a message to who?

They say it took him SEVEN minutes to die. Open up the stopwatch on your phone and see how long SEVEN minutes takes......

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilduclo
"Saudi torturer listened to music on headphones as he dismembered Journalist Jamal Khashoggi"

https://www.ibtimes.co.uk/saudi-tort...report-1666751

"CARVED UP ALIVE Saudi kill squad ‘cut off journalist Jamal Khashoggi’s fingers one by one and dissolved body parts in acid’
It's also claimed The Saudi General Consul to Turkey was heard telling the alleged torturers to kill the journalist 'outside' because he didn't want to get into trouble"

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/751490...dy-parts-acid/
Old 10.19.2018, 10:22 AM   #4800
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Saudi monarchy totalitarian, best bud of USA. We sell them arms, rich WMD manufacturers make millions, while they enforce the most brutal religious dictatorship they can. fucking assholes all of them.
190230237238239 240 241242243250290340 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth