Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page classic albums, atsonicpark edition # 11: glenn branca - the ascension
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.11.2007, 02:40 PM   #1
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses

GLENN BRANCA "THE ASCENSION"
1981, 99 Records
  1. "Lesson #2" (5:01)
  2. "The Spectacular Commodity" (12:41)
  3. "Structure" (3:06)
  4. "Light Field (In Consonance)" (8:19)
  5. "The Ascension" (13:10)
The point of these "classic albums" threads I do is because I want to highlight some overlooked albums; albums that usually aren't on best-of lists or albums that we don't talk about too much on here. I try not to be TOO obscure, because I want people on here to discuss the albums with me. So, with that, I am now going to talk a bit about an album probably 90% of this board has heard and probably 75% knows extremely well -- an album that honestly probably should be on every "best records of all time" list but I don't think it ever has been. An album that.. yeah.. is probably one of the few that can be called "life-changing". Eh?

The Ascension is amazing. Let me reiterate: This album is AMAZING. When you actually pay attention to what's happening here... the structure, the flow, the atmosphere, it's truely amazing. I can't think of a better way to justify that statement than to say that I'm rarely "amazed" and I rarely say "amazing" and I rarely call people a "genius" since that's a word thrown around too much. But, indeed, Branca proves with this album that he is a genius and this album is fucking unbelievable. Taking the basic fundamentals of no wave and classical music and combining them, Branca seems to find some hidden truth without saying anything at all. Indeed, if you listen, there's actually not a LOT going on, especially comparing with Branca's symphonies (or his best song, "Bad Smells"): the instrumentation is very sparse, with "just" four (not 100) guitars , a bass, and drums. However, what Branca does with them... I mean, has it ever been attempted since?

This album was truely .. I hate to say life changing again, but.. very inspiring to me. I just couldn't BELIEVE what I was hearing. When I heard it, I was already familiar with all the old and new no wave groups, and I hadn't heard anything that even attempted what Branca was going for here. Anyway, for those who haven't heard it, imagine no wave's chiming guitars and free-form dynamics, somehow restructured into "classical music" with a healthy dose of crescendos. Awe-inspiring.

If you can, get the reissue. The liner notes by Lee are excellent (if anyone wants to post them, go ahead) and the remastering by Weasel Walters makes it sound better than ever.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.11.2007, 02:59 PM   #2
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
This album kicks serious bottom. Word. I'm also seeing the Branca man tomorrow in London, which I'm very much looking forward to.
Old 10.11.2007, 04:03 PM   #3
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
Some Branca stuff didn't click for me right away but from when the bass kicks in on Lesson #2, I was fucking hooked.

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.11.2007, 04:23 PM   #4
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
Nope. Still a shit record. Later than this? Sublime. This is little more than an exercise in various simple ideas extended to the electric guitar. Didn't find himself as a composer until symphony no. 1, and even so. The Ascension isn't a good record, it's a shit one by someone good.

Remember people - 'early stuff is better' is an observation, not a rule.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savage Clone
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Glice is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.11.2007, 04:24 PM   #5
Glice
invito al cielo

Glice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's assesGlice kicks all y'all's asses
One of the songs, you might note, is called lesson no. 1.

Quote:
Last time I was in Chicago I spent an hour in a Nazi submarine with a banjo player.
Old 10.11.2007, 04:33 PM   #6
Everyneurotic
invito al cielo

Everyneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's assesEveryneurotic kicks all y'all's asses
i really love this after "lesson #2", i first heard that song, the first branca i've heard and i thought it was very subpar sy shit (i can only imagine listening to it in the early 80's when at that point, that was completely unheard of). the later part of the album, especially "lightfield" and "the ascension" are sublime.

that said, the most seismic of branca works, for me, is symphony #1.
Everyneurotic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.11.2007, 05:23 PM   #7
purplebumblebee
bad moon rising

purplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's assespurplebumblebee kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
This album kicks serious bottom. Word. I'm also seeing the Branca man tomorrow in London, which I'm very much looking forward to.

Enjoy Branca tomorrow, saw the same show here in ireland during the summer and was blown away, went to another place during that one!
Old 10.11.2007, 06:35 PM   #8
the ikara cult
invito al cielo

the ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's assesthe ikara cult kicks all y'all's asses
This Articulates things, things that id always thought you had to rely on passionate vocals for. But its wordless and perfect. I have never taken any drugs except alcohol, and im so glad that i came to this, Lightfield (in constant) and the title track especially, having never been under any kind of influence. The title song makes me cry; that is all.
the ikara cult is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.12.2007, 08:25 AM   #9
GravitySlips
children of satan

GravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's asses
can someone post Lee's liner notes?
GravitySlips is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.12.2007, 08:22 PM   #10
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
The album provided a name for a kick ass London band in the 90s. That much I do know.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.13.2007, 04:09 AM   #11
MellySingsDoom
invito al cielo

MellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's assesMellySingsDoom kicks all y'all's asses
Well, Branca came, saw, conquered and deafened us all at the Roundhouse last night. Hurrah.

Glice - whilst I agree w/your points about the album, I still likes it anyway. What's your fave G Branca composition, out of interest?
Old 10.13.2007, 06:02 AM   #12
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
This is my favorite Branca.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.13.2007, 09:44 AM   #13
Glice
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by MellySingsDoom
Well, Branca came, saw, conquered and deafened us all at the Roundhouse last night. Hurrah.

Glice - whilst I agree w/your points about the album, I still likes it anyway. What's your fave G Branca composition, out of interest?

I'm not sure - I would've said the 3rd or 6th a while ago, but I'm currently trying to reconcile where his actual compositional invention lies. There's a lot of Wagner in him, and it's quite difficult (especially given my lack of theoretical 'chops', as it were) to weedle out where Branca is and where Branca merely transposes ideas to the massed electric guitar. This isn't a criticism in the case of most of his mature work, but in terms of the Ascension it's as transparent as can be. I could go on at length, but I'll just say that with the Ascension it's not quite a brutal minimalist piece (which dissonance is), it's not quite satisfying as rock music, it's not got enough of anything to sustain my interest over his other works. With Chatham I'm satisfied that he's made a virtue of electric guitars - Branca is slightly more complex, and very much between compositional worlds as opposed to creating his own. This is a bit of an iffy statement - I still like Branca a great deal. Probably one of those personal things that doesn't have to make sense to the world.

Quote:
Old 10.14.2007, 05:29 AM   #14
PAULYBEE2656
invito al cielo

PAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's assesPAULYBEE2656 kicks all y'all's asses
yes yes and oh god yes..
the spectacular commodity is probably my faourite brance track.. its just so facepunchingly good!
Old 10.14.2007, 12:05 PM   #15
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
YES, yes indeed.
A fantastic album.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2007, 02:02 AM   #16
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Something I'm wondering..
Why has symphony 7 never been released? I know there has been other symphonies not officially released (11, 12, 13...) and I'm sure they will be one day, but 7 was just completely skipped. Hmm..

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth