Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Little Trouble Girl connection to the Shangri-Las
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.30.2007, 03:46 AM   #1
Bertrand
expwy. to yr skull

Bertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's assesBertrand kicks all y'all's asses
Hi !

I recently got to listen to a Shangri-Las record.

Among the tracks was a song called Give Him A Great Big Kiss.

First it starts with spoken rather than sung lines that ain't printed on the sites I checked: "when I tell you I'm in love you best believe I'm in luv, L-U-V", which surprised me, as I thought that was something that came from the New York Dolls' minds.

And it ends similarly, with half spoken half sung lines : "is he a good dancer? what do you mean is he a good dancer? well how does he dance?". To which the answer "close... very very close..." comes out with the same feeling of exhaustion I hear in Kim's voice.
Bertrand is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2007, 03:53 AM   #2
sarramkrop

It is most definitely a track inspired by them. The drumming alone is lifted wholesale from any number of Shangri Las songs.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2007, 04:14 AM   #3
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
it is. I have an interview in some belgian magazine from when washing machine came out where kim says the track was written for a movie situated in the 50's and that they were asked to deliver something in the style of the shangri-las.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2007, 04:27 AM   #4
sarramkrop

It is not far-fetched to say that Sonic Youth, being fans of The Jesus And Mary Chain, might have been also inspired by the fact that The Shangri-Las were a big influence on them. Perhaps not, but I doubt it.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.30.2007, 07:32 AM   #5
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
I can see the influence, I always saw it as a quasi-ironic Phil Spector tribute.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth