Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page So do we figure they'll tour DDN?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 03.02.2007, 09:44 PM   #1
mushmanski57@hotmail.com
stalker

mushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's asses
Or at least a minitour where they play it in its entirety? Surely they wouldn't relearn all the songs and play it a mere 3 times...

Here's to hoping!
mushmanski57@hotmail.com is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2007, 09:45 PM   #2
neptuneg
100%

neptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's asses
yes yes yes!!!
neptuneg is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.02.2007, 11:21 PM   #3
All Hail WATT
little trouble girl

All Hail WATT kicks all y'all's assesAll Hail WATT kicks all y'all's assesAll Hail WATT kicks all y'all's assesAll Hail WATT kicks all y'all's assesAll Hail WATT kicks all y'all's assesAll Hail WATT kicks all y'all's assesAll Hail WATT kicks all y'all's assesAll Hail WATT kicks all y'all's assesAll Hail WATT kicks all y'all's assesAll Hail WATT kicks all y'all's assesAll Hail WATT kicks all y'all's asses
how about a warmup gig or two in may?
All Hail WATT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.03.2007, 01:14 AM   #4
TheMadcapLaughs
100%

TheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's assesTheMadcapLaughs kicks all y'all's asses
They need to do it for us yankees too.
TheMadcapLaughs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.03.2007, 01:50 AM   #5
k-krack
invito al cielo

k-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's assesk-krack kicks all y'all's asses
How 'bout a fucking Toronto showing of it! I would actually fucking CRY if this happened. The notion of seeing Rain King and SIlver Rocket and 'Cross The Breeze live in a single night... mindblowing... *crying*

Danny is a C.H.U.D.
k-krack is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.03.2007, 07:09 PM   #7
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
i doubt they'll do a tour for just rehashing the DDN material but i think its likely that some of the lesser played DNN (rain king, hey joni, the sprawl, trilogy) might start to get incorporated into normal set list. It'd be weird for them to re-learn songs Thurston himself said are hard to play only to play them 3 times and then forget em.
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.03.2007, 10:31 PM   #8
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
I doubt they will. They always play some of the songs, but I for one don't want them to be just another fucking '80s nostalgia act.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.04.2007, 12:50 AM   #9
ohfuchsia
little trouble girl

ohfuchsia kicks all y'all's assesohfuchsia kicks all y'all's assesohfuchsia kicks all y'all's assesohfuchsia kicks all y'all's assesohfuchsia kicks all y'all's assesohfuchsia kicks all y'all's assesohfuchsia kicks all y'all's assesohfuchsia kicks all y'all's assesohfuchsia kicks all y'all's assesohfuchsia kicks all y'all's assesohfuchsia kicks all y'all's asses
come on..do it in sydney, on the way to asia...on my birthday....
ohfuchsia is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.04.2007, 01:26 AM   #10
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by k-krack
How 'bout a fucking Toronto showing of it! I would actually fucking CRY if this happened. The notion of seeing Rain King and SIlver Rocket and 'Cross The Breeze live in a single night... mindblowing... *crying*

That they would do one of the shows in Montreal seems reasonable.

Thurston told Watt in the phone interview (Watt from Pedro show 2/14) that they plan on doing a series of shows where they cover the entire album...in order.

Mike had asked about whether the setlist would be the same as the album sequencing, and then followed it up by musing if they were gonna also do Providence.

Everyone who listened to that interview I'm sure remembers that as a very engrossing and amusing part in particular...and Thurston affirmed that yes, they're gonna do Providence too.

I think it would be witty if Sonic Youth made a new Providence tape using some of this part of the phone interview, but then again, Providence is a real art piece so just maybe they won't be retooling as prescribed haha.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.04.2007, 11:46 AM   #11
fluxequalsrad
stalker

fluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's asses
Providence = Track without mike watt phone call Blasting through the moniters with Thurston playing with tapes and stuff? anyone?

They'll definately be playing some amazing stuff live this year. And we all know its only a matter of time before they relearn sometihng off of Washing Machine...right!?

Coachella better have some Murray Street stuff on the setlist.
fluxequalsrad is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.04.2007, 03:02 PM   #12
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
I doubt they will. They always play some of the songs, but I for one don't want them to be just another fucking '80s nostalgia act.

A tour of Daydream Nation would hardly make them an 80's nostalgia act. They continue to put out new material and emphasize that material when they play live. A Daydream Nation tour would be a special side project. And remember that many of us were not old enough to see them the first time they toured behind that album.
Magic Wheel Memory is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.04.2007, 05:33 PM   #13
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
west coast daydream too!
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.04.2007, 08:41 PM   #14
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
A tour of Daydream Nation would hardly make them an 80's nostalgia act. They continue to put out new material and emphasize that material when they play live. A Daydream Nation tour would be a special side project. And remember that many of us were not old enough to see them the first time they toured behind that album.

The words: "And remember that many of us were not old enough to see them the first time they toured behind that album" prove wrong everything else you were asserting to that point.

Trust me, I don't think of Sonic Youth as even slightly close to a nostalgia group, but that's because they have carefully made the decision to continue to move forward and push the envelope. Playing all of Daydream one time through is a special side project, which is what they are doing. Touring on the laurels of record from two decades ago so that their younger fans can hear it as if it just came out yesterday is total Flock of Seagulls as far as I'm concerned, and I honestly don't think they would do that. You might have to settle for hearing two or three songs from it mixed in with other material from all of their career, which just doesn't strike me as anywhere close to a bad thing.
Old 03.05.2007, 01:37 AM   #15
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Hey Dead-Air,

I respect your opinion, but this isn't really an argument over the meaning of "nostalgia." Instead, it's a debate over whether a tour of Daydream Nation would be desirable. I think it would be, simply because it's arguably their greatest record, and many of us never experienced it live. A tour would not suggest that it "just came out yesterday," but that it's a masterpiece worth revisiting.

Sonic Youth is one of those very unique bands for whom a large portion of their fanbase wasn't even born when their earlier work was released. You can't say that about A Flock of Seagulls.

Peace.
Magic Wheel Memory is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.05.2007, 10:39 AM   #16
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory

Sonic Youth is one of those very unique bands for whom a large portion of their fanbase wasn't even born when their earlier work was released. You can't say that about A Flock of Seagulls.

Peace.

I can't? Then why do I hear their music playing in cafes full of people under 21 all of the time? There's nothing unique about a band having a large part of their fanbase born after their earlier work was released. The Beatles and Led Zeppelin come immediately to mind as groups that fit that description, and you could fill pages with more. That's what brought us the "Classic Rock" format years ago, and it is indeed all about nostalgia including for those who weren't there the first go around.

What makes Sonic Youth unique is that they by and large refuse to play into that and continue to release great records and side projects while revisiting the past as a secondary agenda item. Of course there are tons of fans who wish they'd tour on a record from two decades ago, there are even quite a few (and I'm not counting you among them, but they do exist) who would have them do nothing but tour on a record from two decades ago. More power to them for seeing that's not a good idea.
Old 03.05.2007, 05:52 PM   #17
Ubiqridiculous
empty page

Ubiqridiculous has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Hoping they announce some summer NYC dates soon. I'm planning on a trip to Brooklyn this summer, and I want to coordinate it with an/some Sy show(s)!!!!
Ubiqridiculous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.05.2007, 06:29 PM   #18
drrrtyboots
invito al cielo

drrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's assesdrrrtyboots kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubiqridiculous
Hoping they announce some summer NYC dates soon. I'm planning on a trip to Brooklyn this summer, and I want to coordinate it with an/some Sy show(s)!!!!
well, while you're in brooklyn check out some todd p shows. www.toddpnyc.com. by far the best show promoter in the city with a loyal base of fans and musicians alike.

drrrtyboots is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.05.2007, 10:43 PM   #19
timtimtim
children of satan

timtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud oftimtimtim has much to be proud of
I just want them to tour again and come through the chicao area.
However I would prefer if i wasn't a DDN tour, It's probably the album of their's that I listen to the least. And it's not because Im burnt out on it, I just never got into as much as ttheir other work.
timtimtim is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.05.2007, 11:09 PM   #20
neptuneg
100%

neptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's assesneptuneg kicks all y'all's asses
I want DDN to be played in New York. Twice.
neptuneg is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth