Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page EJSTNS/Sister
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 07.24.2009, 07:06 PM   #1
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
forgive me if this has been asked before....

so apparently you are supposed to be able to hear the Sister recordings if you listen to EJSTNS very carefully (and at a loud volume)

well okay. i'm part deaf (seriously. i don't have a working ear. it sucks.) i've cranked the volume as loud as my working ear allows and still heard nothing sister-like between songs.

am i the only one?

is this an urban legend or total truth?

notyourfiend is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2009, 07:34 PM   #2
e_s_d
little trouble girl

e_s_d kicks all y'all's assese_s_d kicks all y'all's assese_s_d kicks all y'all's assese_s_d kicks all y'all's assese_s_d kicks all y'all's assese_s_d kicks all y'all's assese_s_d kicks all y'all's assese_s_d kicks all y'all's assese_s_d kicks all y'all's assese_s_d kicks all y'all's assese_s_d kicks all y'all's asses
Hmm, I guess it kind of depends... Are you listening on vinyl or CD?

On CD you can definately hear it, but it is very very faint. I've never tried listening to the vinyl version, but I'm guessing that vinyl's signal to noise ratio would make it even more difficult, if not impossible to hear Sister between tracks.

If you've got some kind of audio editing software such as Adobe Audition, you can try messing around importing audio from the CD, and amplifying the silence at the beginning and end of tracks to reveal Sister.

It's there... for sure.

Why they used the Sister master tapes for the EJSTNS master - apparently to save money (if that's the case they must've saved about 200$ - remains a mystery...
e_s_d is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2009, 08:30 PM   #3
StevOK
expwy. to yr skull

StevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's assesStevOK kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by e_s_d

Why they used the Sister master tapes for the EJSTNS master - apparently to save money (if that's the case they must've saved about 200$ - remains a mystery...

They did not record over the Sister master tapes.
Facebook

StevOK is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2009, 08:32 PM   #4
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
no comment.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.24.2009, 08:41 PM   #5
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

notyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's assesnotyourfiend kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
If you've got some kind of audio editing software such as Adobe Audition, you can try messing around importing audio from the CD, and amplifying the silence at the beginning and end of tracks to reveal Sister.

I think I'm going to do that. I gave away my CD as a departure give to my best friends so I've been listening on my computer and ipod...which most likely explains some of it.

EJSTNS a first act to move into new directions. Perhaps they recorded over Sister as a way to symbolically move forward and "erase" their older stuff? I don't know, that seems a bit far fetched. As does the money thing. Then again, I think that they were pretty erked about the cost of Dirty. I'm more surprised that Butch Vig would have been okay with recording over Sister.

Old 07.24.2009, 09:15 PM   #6
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
no comment.

In between songs, if you turn up the volume really fucking loud, you can hear atsonicpark screaming "This has been discussed already!"
Old 07.25.2009, 12:46 AM   #7
Death & the Maiden
expwy. to yr skull

Death & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard suckaDeath & the Maiden cold hard sucka
Everything is answered here.
Death & the Maiden is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2009, 01:51 AM   #8
frades
children of satan

frades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's assesfrades kicks all y'all's asses
why would have they done that if it's inaudible while listening..?
frades is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2009, 02:45 AM   #9
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka

"hay guise herd someone was looking for me"
Old 07.25.2009, 07:12 AM   #10
e_s_d
little trouble girl

e_s_d kicks all y'all's assese_s_d kicks all y'all's assese_s_d kicks all y'all's assese_s_d kicks all y'all's assese_s_d kicks all y'all's assese_s_d kicks all y'all's assese_s_d kicks all y'all's assese_s_d kicks all y'all's assese_s_d kicks all y'all's assese_s_d kicks all y'all's assese_s_d kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Death & the Maiden

Somethings are answered, but it's still not entirely clear what's what.

Whether it's interesting or not is another question.
e_s_d is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2009, 08:53 AM   #11
barnaclelapse
the destroyed room

barnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's asses
I...totally didn't know this

I'm obviously going to have to go check it out.
barnaclelapse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2009, 09:22 AM   #12
sarramkrop

Quote:
Somethings are answered, but it's still not entirely clear what's what.

Whether it's interesting or not is another question.

Why do you care that much, anyway?
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 07.25.2009, 04:23 PM   #13
notyourfiend
expwy. to yr skull

Thanks for telling me how to hear it.
Sorry that it was answered before.
I got lazy with the search button.

Old 09.04.2009, 03:56 PM   #14
tasteinmen
bad moon rising

tasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's assestasteinmen kicks all y'all's asses
i've been reading Goodbye 20th Century and I have just finished reading about the Experimental Jet Set era and there is no mention of them recording over the sister master tapes... and this book is quite descriptive when it comes to the making of each album.
tasteinmen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2009, 05:47 PM   #15
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
I made a promise that I'd make an effort...

Steve told us all recently that it was a hoax.
Old 09.04.2009, 05:49 PM   #16
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
You really can clearly hear "Sister" songs in the silence between "Jet Set" songs. ... but I think the "hoax" is that the "Sister" master tapes were recorded over.

I think we're clear now.. right?...

Oh, and for whatever reason, I've never been able to hear the Sister tracks with headphones on, but I can hear them perfectly if I just turn the volume up on my stereo without headphones plugged in. Eh?

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2009, 08:40 PM   #17
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Steve told us all recently that it was a hoax.

But it wasn't really Steve who said that. It was Richard Edson. "Steve Shelley" was created from Richard Edson's DNA to save money.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth