Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page Fuck Gordon Lightfoot
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.09.2023, 03:52 PM   #21
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
Replacements and Royal Trux are soft ass bullshit for wanna be trust fund punks.

Give me the Butthole Surfers and Big Black ANY DAY
Old 05.10.2023, 06:34 AM   #22
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
Replacements and Royal Trux are soft ass bullshit for wanna be trust fund punks.

Give me the Butthole Surfers and Big Black ANY DAY

Didn’t realize an either/or choice was required. I’ll take both/all.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2023, 09:38 AM   #23
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
haahah!

At least you are not trying to sell me on The Dead South or Fleet Foxes!
Old 05.10.2023, 12:50 PM   #24
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
imma pass on the band with the boring-ass drum machine :P

boring!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2023, 01:20 PM   #25
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Big Black

BIG BLACK

https://youtu.be/vSivVYwKwZc BAD PENNY "I always come back to you..."

BIG BLACK!!!!!!!
Old 05.10.2023, 01:39 PM   #26
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uqww-dIya2Q

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.10.2023, 01:51 PM   #27
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi

coolness!
Old 05.10.2023, 02:39 PM   #28
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Big Black

BIG BLACK

BIG BLACK!!!!!!!

gordon lightfoot!

they should have been named BIG PUSSY hahahahahaha

now this:

https://youtu.be/Ol87N0nxfVs

HAS DRUMS!!!
Old 05.10.2023, 06:30 PM   #29
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
now this:

https://youtu.be/Ol87N0nxfVs

HAS DRUMS!!!

Cannot take metal seriously. And I prefer Roland to Lombardo.

ETA: Anyway, you're both crazy wrong about The Replacements. "You know you really need some help. A regular psychiatrist couldn't even help you. You need to go to like Vienna or something. You know what I mean? You need to get involved at the University level. Like where Freud studied and have all those people looking at you and checking up on you. That's the kind of help you need. Not the once a week for eighty bucks. No. You need a team. A team of psychiatrists working round the clock thinking about you, having conferences, observing you, like the way they did with the Elephant Man. That's what I'm talking about because that's the only way you're going to get better."

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 05.10.2023, 07:33 PM   #30
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:

Cannot take metal seriously. And I prefer Roland to Lombardo.

PPPPPPPFFFFFFFFFFFFFFTTTTTTTTTTTTTTHHHHHHHHHHHH

cartoon answer from a cartoon!

albini wanted to make "intense" music but it's just some skinny white dudes with screechy guitars and a crap rhytm.

i mean it's okay i guess for some.

but slayer, like a lot of thrash metal, truly gets the blood going. sounds like the franks assaulting late roman troops with their franziskas. fucking beautiful.

big black does not hold a candle to any of them in the "intensity" department. they were thoroughly blown out of the water by their contemporaries.

as for lyrics, i can't tell what anybody fucking says and do not care.

it's the adrenaline kick in the chest that counts.

everything else is bla bla bla bla bla

"vienna", lol.
Old 05.10.2023, 08:38 PM   #31
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
cartoon answer from a cartoon!

Don't hate the player.

Quote:
albini wanted to make "intense" music but it's just some skinny white dudes with screechy guitars and a crap rhytm.

i mean it's okay i guess for some.

but slayer, like a lot of thrash metal, truly gets the blood going. sounds like the franks assaulting late roman troops with their franziskas. fucking beautiful.

big black does not hold a candle to any of them in the "intensity" department. they were thoroughly blown out of the water by their contemporaries.

as for lyrics, i can't tell what anybody fucking says and do not care.

it's the adrenaline kick in the chest that counts.

everything else is bla bla bla bla bla

Christ on a stick, I'm on the polar opposite of the quote above. Well, except for the relevance of the "adrenaline kick", but I never have and never will get it from thrash metal, which is ASS.

Old 05.10.2023, 08:52 PM   #32
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Don't hate the player.

Christ on a stick, I'm on the polar opposite of the quote above. Well, except for the relevance of the "adrenaline kick", but I never have and never will get it from thrash metal, which is ASS.
i like ass!

albini does too: https://www.azquotes.com/quote/1208451

hey, he's not so bad after all...

mmm, ASS!!

LOVE IT
Old 05.11.2023, 08:23 AM   #33
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

slayer is the cartoon.

Big Black is the true horror
Old 05.11.2023, 08:59 AM   #34
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
slayer is the cartoon.

Big Black is the true horror
boooooooooring! hahahahahaa. big pussy is a boring sound. boredom is horrible. yeah. the horror of boredom.

and of course slayer is a cartoon-- but an extremely fun cartoon.

i mean, you can't take its violent impulses with any seriousness. it's play. it's like sports. it's just a game. it sounds like war but it's not actual war. whoever takes it literally is a stupid dolt (and yeah, those people exist).

but fuck, for me it is so much fun, hahahahaha. FUN!
Old 05.11.2023, 10:13 AM   #35
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

When Albini was creating his first band he wanted to name it the most scaryu thing for AMERICANS, andhe realized that what white people are most scared of is anything BIG and BLACK.

It's still true.

Slayer is fun, but I preferred Megadeth.

after a while though too many metal bands seemed liken corny jokes.
Old 05.11.2023, 11:23 AM   #36
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
When Albini was creating his first band he wanted to name it the most scaryu thing for AMERICANS, andhe realized that what white people are most scared of is anything BIG and BLACK.

It's still true.

Slayer is fun, but I preferred Megadeth.

after a while though too many metal bands seemed liken corny jokes.
i guess i missed the joke because there is nothing scary about the big black name for me. maybe it was scary in his suburb. "americans" are not just whitey & co.

i loved living in black neighborhoods in black cities. what's scary about that? i had to move out when shit got gentrified and rich white people moved in. now THAT sucked.

for a truly scary name, think more like "whitey" or "texas smile". you know that fake smile, like a grimace of death, right? the smile the white supremacists have right before they shoot you over your land or your human rights or their bible or something? and they're showing their friendly teeth? like a dallas televangelist? that's scary as fuck. THE true horror.

but anyway, back to music, what i would do with the big black sound is i'd keep the noisy guitars (great) and erase everything else, the shitty drum machine and the shit singing.

megadeth, love the guitar speed, but it's more "wordy" (i wish it weren't, i don"t like "words" unless they are really good) but it's' not as heavy a sound as slayer. it's more like iron maiden (i like iron maiden--the trooper!!) but it does not get me going the same way. too high-pitched maybe? the singing sounds like the great cornholio.

but slayer is in another category for me. hanneman and king are great but it's lombardo and araya that add sabor latino jajajajajaaaaaaaa. have you noticed that instead of whitey intensified guitar solos they do almost a descarga with the percussion in front? in their most frenetic spasms, they talk to each other rather than follow a leader.

and yeah it's a heavier more lowpitched sound, a deeper growl, more chaotic than the rest. a lot more happens in the low frequencies with them. and you get more howls than well-formed "words" in the singing. howls > words. metal is better as grunts and growls and screams, and not literature.
Old 05.13.2023, 09:28 PM   #37
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Megadeth is terrible. The worst Slayer shits blood on the best Megadeth, sorry to say
Old 05.13.2023, 11:00 PM   #38
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Megadeth is terrible. The worst Slayer shits blood on the best Megadeth, sorry to say

Motörhead circa 1980 destroys them both just by showing up.

Old 05.15.2023, 06:17 AM   #39
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

You’re not wrong in the slightest
Old 05.15.2023, 09:21 AM   #40
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
You’re not wrong in the slightest

but children, you can't really compare the chaos and brutality of slayer with the fast and fun songs about fucking of motörhead.

if you had said something like napalm death... then we'd have a true contest about who gets to hell better.

bur remove the pedals and scratchy vocals from motörhead and you just have the structure and melody and basic beat of simple rocknröll tunes.

and those tunes are nice and fun, and they're faster than the usual, but they are something else altogether.

anyway sorry also about your hearing loss in the low spectrum frequencies lol.

-

i should add, to keep the discussion honest, and not make it a win at all costs thing, that i only introduced thrash metal in comparison to albini on the basis of his own stated desire for "intensity". so in the intensity department, i was saying, many of his contemporaries beat him handily (they all used real drums btw). and sure big black did make good guitar noise, but one swallow does not a summer make lol.

after than i don't know what potatoes and apples are being compared anymore. but like albini, and rob, i also do like ass. mmmm, sweet sweet ass.

and apple ass >> potato ass, for sure.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth