Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page >>the last movie you watched
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.30.2022, 06:38 AM   #25381
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Point Break: Ridiculously stupid film but surprisingly quite fun. Big production value upgrade compared to previous Swayze joints like Roadhouse (which has aged like milk in the sun and was a shit movie to begin with). At least Point Break is fun. Roadhouse is just an unintentional comedy.

Glass Onion: A Knives Out Mystery: Loved the original and this was quite good as well. Bit less Agatha Christie, more Among Us, but whatever, good times, good movie. Seems to have been filmed with a lot of individual scenes edited to seem like people are together — probably because of that big dumb pandemic.

It’s a Wonderful Life: This holds up, even though the movie is like 80% setup for its last 15 minutes or so. Never really noticed that before. It’s really just a good-old-boy life story that turns into a supernatural fantasy film 1.5 hours in. Lmao.

Emily the Criminal: Good but not as good as some would have you believe. A fine film with fine performances, but nothing super special. Spoiler alert, Emily becomes a criminal!
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.30.2022, 08:11 AM   #25382
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
I have one movie left to watch in the "American" theme (American History X), but didn't feel like watching it last night so I might watch it tonight still.
So instead I found this one on Netflix:

it's one of the most horrible films ever! But other people may still enjoy.
At various points I thought about stopping it, but I endured and now still wonder why.

Then I needed a more serious and factual movie, and there was only one option:

didn't expect much of it, and it actually is truly terrible but I enjoyed it a lot. (spoiler alert) it has both Christopher Lloyd (famous for the professor in Back To The Future) and David Hasselhoff as supporting actors.
it always bothers me in these types of movies, that everyone is running around naked except for the main character

After that I finished watching a movie that I found while channel hopping, and I entered it midway or so.

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.30.2022, 08:58 AM   #25383
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Point Break: Ridiculously stupid film but surprisingly quite fun. Big production value upgrade compared to previous Swayze joints like Roadhouse (which has aged like milk in the sun and was a shit movie to begin with). At least Point Break is fun. Roadhouse is just an unintentional comedy.
i watched roadhouse not too long ago (is everyone else on a $1.99 starz kick now?) i laughed my ass off--especially the ending! of course it was terrible, but that is besides the point. watching a monster truck drive over a car dealer's lot for no reason whatsoever while everyone stares with a stupid mouth open and does nothing about it... fuck, that is funny. everything about roadhouse is ridiculous and funny.

on the other hand i was unable to finish point break due to boredom and predictability. i could see that big wave coming from around the globe. so i turned it off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw2113
Slackers

ah, i love that thing. it's almost endlessly rewatchable. dated for sure, but still... it's got something. is there any other movie like it? maybe parts of fellini's "roma" but it's a much different anthropology and aesthetic. eta: or even dziga vertov's "man with the movie camera" which is even more distant but also wanders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by _tunic_
Then I needed a more serious and factual movie, and there was only one option:

didn't expect much of it, and it actually is truly terrible but I enjoyed it a lot. (spoiler alert) it has both Christopher Lloyd (famous for the professor in Back To The Future) and David Hasselhoff as supporting actors.
it always bothers me in these types of movies, that everyone is running around naked except for the main character

THAT is the suspense that keeps you glued to the screen! waiting for the main character's top to fall off.

gotta respect a movie that knows what it stands for.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.30.2022, 10:09 PM   #25384
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Piranha 3D and Piranha 3DD are good dumb fun. I support.

My last 2 movies are Mixed Nuts and Leprechaun.
Old 12.31.2022, 09:09 AM   #25385
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses

I didn’t love this actually
Old 12.31.2022, 09:12 AM   #25386
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I didn’t love this actually
wwwwwwait wait wait.... is this based on the don de lillo novel?
Old 01.02.2023, 05:05 PM   #25387
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
wwwwwwait wait wait.... is this based on the don de lillo novel?

Yep
Old 01.02.2023, 05:40 PM   #25388
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yep
oh, i love that book, but i think it would probably be best adapted as a tv series.

also as i recall you're not a fan of don cheadle hahahahaha

==

on a different subject, that i almost forgot, i saw bill and ted face the music, which was, gooddamn, so terrible, hahahahaha.
Old 01.03.2023, 07:09 AM   #25389
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
oh, i love that book, but i think it would probably be best adapted as a tv series.

also as i recall you're not a fan of don cheadle hahahahaha

==

on a different subject, that i almost forgot, i saw bill and ted face the music, which was, gooddamn, so terrible, hahahahaha.

I have nothing against Don Cheadle. And I quite like Adam Driver. Both were excellent in the movie but the movie itself was meh.
I haven’t read the book, though, so maybe it was a perfect adaptation. Either way, not for me really.

Re: Bill & Ted: Watched that with the girlfriend a few months ago and yes it was abysmal, but sometimes humorous. Kid Cudi was just ACTING his ass off in the background, giving these big goofy reactions like the worst kid in a high school play. Just gnawing scenery like it was his job. Hilarious and dumb.
Old 01.03.2023, 12:31 PM   #25390
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Night of the Comet (1984). It was a fun film, but nothing that will blow your mind.
https://decider.com/wp-content/uploa...guns.gif?w=618
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.03.2023, 04:02 PM   #25391
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by finding nobody
Night of the Comet (1984). It was a fun film, but nothing that will blow your mind.

oh, i think tw2113 might just love that one!

Quote:
I have nothing against Don Cheadle. And I quite like Adam Driver. Both were excellent in the movie but the movie itself was meh.
I haven’t read the book, though, so maybe it was a perfect adaptation. Either way, not for me really.

Re: Bill & Ted: Watched that with the girlfriend a few months ago and yes it was abysmal, but sometimes humorous. Kid Cudi was just ACTING his ass off in the background, giving these big goofy reactions like the worst kid in a high school play. Just gnawing scenery like it was his job. Hilarious and dumb.

oh, there is just be too much material in the book to cram into a film format, which is more suited to the short story or the novella. this would be more lik chernobyl. hm, i wonder if the novel was inspired by actual chernobyl... nope, it was just prescient hahahahaha. published 1985.

i thought you didn't like don cheadle! maybe it was on a certain role or something like the marvel stuff. to me he was great in "house of lies". hahahahahahahahah the fucking hilarious rascal....

anyway yes b&t was humorous in a "so bad it's good " kind of way. i chuckled a few times, no regrets.
Old 01.03.2023, 05:52 PM   #25392
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

tw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's assestw2113 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
oh, i think tw2113 might just love that one!

Can confirm that I indeed do.
Old 01.03.2023, 11:46 PM   #25393
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by tw2113
Can confirm that I indeed do.

Old 01.04.2023, 12:48 AM   #25394
tw2113
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:

I'll be taking requests from all you teenage comet zombies
Old 01.09.2023, 10:45 AM   #25395
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

hideous kinky (kate winslet, 1998, lol)

i'm not sure how much of a "movie" this was but i liked it.

first because kate winslet was in it, and like that review about mare of easttown said she will carry anything that she's in (ok, i will probably never see "titanic", so i can't confirm there, but the other stuff hell yes).

second, because when i could not figure out wtf this movie/non-movie was about, i ended up googling it and i found out this was about one babymama and a couple of the many scattered children of lucian freud (did he really have 40? lol).

it's a thin veil, as some names and occupations have been barely obscured or altered, but yeah, it's based on an autobiographical novel. so, twice removed from memory, but not by much. and i've been entertained reading a little bit of the gossip and one thing leads to another.

the title is from words the children like to scream at random. what they actually mean in their context and why they say them is never explained in the movie. don't know if it was in the book. but it's funny to see the kids running around screaming in their private language.

anyway this is not any kind of great movie or anything, and i feel like it needed explanatory footnotes, or prior acquaintance with the subject matter and the future celebrities featured in the story. but hey! kate winslet! and art history gossip! so... another title successfully removed from the old watchlist.

eta: apparently the source book might be even more opaque, judging from this review, because it features an actual child narrator: https://www.theguardian.com/books/20...ks.estherfreud
Old 01.11.2023, 03:37 AM   #25396
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses

Cleopatra (1963) starring Liz Taylor
it's a long one, nearly four hours, and that is still a heavily edited version.
The set and all looks great, and her dresses too. Storywise and actingwise, I didn't like it as much, it's too long winded perhaps.

One guy (Roddy McDowall) was supposed to be running for an Oscar as supporting actor but the movie company accidentally nominated him for the Oscar for main actor which is why he didn't win it. He is really good though.

Interestingly there are currently two movies in production about Cleopatra, one is directed by Denis Villeneuve, the other one is starring and co-written by Gal Gadot

Old 01.11.2023, 07:40 AM   #25397
Severian
invito al cielo

I watched a bunch with the girlfriend during the weekend.

• The Pale Blue Eye: Pretty good, not great, but the cinematography is really something and Christian Bale is always a delight.

• The Menu: Very good. Had no idea what to expect and was definitely invested as soon as things got going. Weird movie but very well done.

• Gremlins: Doesn’t really hold up. Pretty racist at times too, or at the very least xenophobic. They include a little “When will you learn” line about the environment or whatever at the end, but it still feels like it’s about non-western cultures being bad.
ALSO, so they give birth when they touch even a single drop of water but not when they drink beer or touch snow? Makes no goddamn sense!
ALSO ALSO, the main guy, Billy, sucks. Phoebe Cates’ character tells him this horrifying story about her dad’s tragic death and Billy literally says nothing, not a word in response.

• The Burbs: I’m sorry but this sucked. Felt 3 hours long, was only 1.5 hours of non-jokes and bad slapstick and misunderstandings followed by a twistaroo ending kind of. Tom Hanks and Carrie Fisher are great but the movie is a snoozer. Also there’s a Gremlins cereal in the background, which means Joe Dante created a universe in which he, Joe Dante, made the same movie the real Joe Dante did in real life, and that there are doppelgängers of Corey Feldman and other actors who overlap in both movies. Lmao.
I saw like half of this when I was just a wee child and my mom made me stop. Can’t remember why but I finally finished it 30 years later and I guess that’s something?
Old 01.11.2023, 09:14 AM   #25398
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
• Gremlins: Doesn’t really hold up.
yeah, it never did--it's always been shit.

Quote:
One guy (Roddy McDowall) was supposed to be running for an Oscar as supporting actor but the movie company accidentally nominated him for the Oscar for main actor which is why he didn't win it. He is really good though.

[...]

Interestingly there are currently two movies in production about Cleopatra, one is directed by Denis Villeneuve, the other one is starring and co-written by Gal Gadot

roddy mcdowall was the main monkey in the original planet of the apes.

i'd love to see gal gadot in seductress costume lol, but not really interested in her writing. i've seen her public declarations, etc--so basic, don't wanna. i know this sounds terrible but it's true for me. but maybe she's some secret patricia highsmith and nobody it knows yet.

the villeneuve version i expect to be great. never heard the man speak a word but he tends to stick close to his sources and puts together some glorious visuals.
Old 01.15.2023, 07:27 AM   #25399
_tunic_
invito al cielo

This movie is truly amazing! It's not often that I want to see a movie again immediately after watching it. This one I want to see again!
The only "flaw"and where story-wise it looks very dated is the ending.
But even the special effects are amazing, for a movie made in 1948!

Thinking about buying it on Bluray or DVD ...

Loved this one too, it very much has the same vibe as Lost In Translation.

Probably going to watch Spinal Tap later today

Old 01.15.2023, 08:13 AM   #25400
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:

Loved this one too, it very much has the same vibe as Lost In Translation.

No offense but I absolutely hated this bleak depressing sonofabitch of a movie. Just sad bastard city. And the main character annoyed me.
770117012201260126712681269 1270 1271127212731280 > »
-->

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth