Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Do (should?) Sonic Youth care?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.12.2009, 06:45 AM   #1
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
I watched the new songs on Youtube the other day, and listened to Rather Ripped and it got me thinking. There's alot of RR blasting on here, and people getting excited about new material, and saying what they think the songs should sound like (nycgaf by the way). But do SY care what we think?
should they?

One of the things that makes them so good is that they dont care what people think, and that they create what they want. And that has to include their fans otherwise they'll become compromised

Or should they do what they do best to keep their fans happy (who ultimatly keep them enabled to keep on keeping on)
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2009, 07:19 AM   #2
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
I always got the impression that they never took any outside advice on their music. They just did their own thing and it was like they weren't even thinking that people were going to hear it.
Old 01.12.2009, 10:32 AM   #3
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
hate to burst any bubbles, but I've never for a moment believed that Thurston is browsing the forums and yelling to the rest of the band "Hey guys! The fans want this one to sound like NYCG&F! Let's get crackin'!"
noisereductions is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2009, 10:34 AM   #4
al shabbray

exactly!
and I think thats a good thing.
they are no restaurant where you get what you ve ordered...and thats part of the fun
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2009, 11:05 AM   #5
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
The surprises and curveballs they've thrown us in the past have always been a great part of the ride.
Old 01.12.2009, 11:20 AM   #6
barnaclelapse
the destroyed room

barnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's asses
I still maintain that it was a good album.

(shrugs)

It was nothing spectacular or revolutionary, but just a good, solid SY effort.
barnaclelapse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2009, 11:24 AM   #7
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
hate to burst any bubbles, but I've never for a moment believed that Thurston is browsing the forums and yelling to the rest of the band "Hey guys! The fans want this one to sound like NYCG&F! Let's get crackin'!"

ha! true!

but do you think they care what we think? Its interesting to me to think about how they write and record and stuff. I dont think they give 2 thoughts as to how a record will be recieved to be honest, but the very nature of being in a band is to make music which people will want to hear (maybe it isn't?) so perhaps they do. i dunno, the more i'm typing the more i'm thinking "shut the fuck up" so maybe i should!
Old 01.12.2009, 11:37 AM   #8
noisereductions
invito al cielo

I agree... I think they DO make music that they think people will want to hear; 4 people; Thurston, Kim, Lee & Steve.
Old 01.12.2009, 12:12 PM   #9
BushIsAPsycho
bad moon rising

BushIsAPsycho kicks all y'all's assesBushIsAPsycho kicks all y'all's assesBushIsAPsycho kicks all y'all's assesBushIsAPsycho kicks all y'all's assesBushIsAPsycho kicks all y'all's assesBushIsAPsycho kicks all y'all's assesBushIsAPsycho kicks all y'all's assesBushIsAPsycho kicks all y'all's assesBushIsAPsycho kicks all y'all's assesBushIsAPsycho kicks all y'all's assesBushIsAPsycho kicks all y'all's asses
well i think they are definitely influenced by outside sources. i remember reading an interview w/thurston during the RR sessions saying that he wanted to record a SY album that was very song oriented because they wanted to do something different to what was happening at the time, which was a rapidly growing noise scene springing from just about anywhere conceivable

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/sear...ink%20charades
BushIsAPsycho is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2009, 01:02 PM   #10
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Actually I remember reading an interview with T for RR that said that he and Kim had sort of been inspired by all the TweenPop stuff that Coco was into at the time. They wanted to see what would happen if they made really concise pop songs in that vein.

That's where my previous theory had come from that really RR is a sort of sonic sequel to THE WHITEY ALBUM.
Old 01.12.2009, 01:12 PM   #11
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
^^^far-fetched!!!
Old 01.12.2009, 01:18 PM   #12
floatingslowly
invito al cielo

floatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's assesfloatingslowly kicks all y'all's asses
do you care if sonic youth cares?

I doubt that they do. if they did, I'd be wearing Kim's autographed panties on my head as I type this (a subject that I care a lot about).
floatingslowly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2009, 01:18 PM   #13
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex
^^^far-fetched!!!

What is? That the album was inspired by TweenPop? That's what T said. It was in... awe crap. I dnt remember. The Wire maybe?
Old 01.12.2009, 01:24 PM   #14
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
Just be happy that they are releasing a fucking album. Ungrateful people.
✌➬ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2009, 01:26 PM   #15
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions

That's where my previous theory had come from that really RR is a sort of sonic sequel to THE WHITEY ALBUM.

This is totally crazy.
Old 01.12.2009, 01:56 PM   #16
BushIsAPsycho
bad moon rising

BushIsAPsycho kicks all y'all's assesBushIsAPsycho kicks all y'all's assesBushIsAPsycho kicks all y'all's assesBushIsAPsycho kicks all y'all's assesBushIsAPsycho kicks all y'all's assesBushIsAPsycho kicks all y'all's assesBushIsAPsycho kicks all y'all's assesBushIsAPsycho kicks all y'all's assesBushIsAPsycho kicks all y'all's assesBushIsAPsycho kicks all y'all's assesBushIsAPsycho kicks all y'all's asses
phew i wanted another ciccone youth album, i'm glad i was listening to it all along (Rather Ripped) :P

someone in another thread mentioned early versions of some new SY material was on you tube, any have any direct links?

http://listen.grooveshark.com/#/sear...ink%20charades
BushIsAPsycho is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2009, 02:04 PM   #17
noisereductions
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by greedrex
This is totally crazy.

Not really. The Whitey Album was their take on pop at the time (IE: Madonna, Robert Palmer, etc).

Rather Ripped is their take on pop at the time (IE: Tweenie Hannah Montana, etc).

What's crazy about my statement?
Old 01.12.2009, 02:07 PM   #18
sarramkrop

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBebs
ha! true!

but do you think they care what we think? Its interesting to me to think about how they write and record and stuff. I dont think they give 2 thoughts as to how a record will be recieved to be honest, but the very nature of being in a band is to make music which people will want to hear (maybe it isn't?) so perhaps they do. i dunno, the more i'm typing the more i'm thinking "shut the fuck up" so maybe i should!

I think you should. Obviously they do take what the fans have to say about their music at heart, like anyone who is into their fans would. Still, they are generally not renowed for being the sort of musicians who make the records that it's expected of them, with all the ups and downs that might come as a result. It's called having a certain vision of what you want to express with your records, keeping in mind the fact that you will be selling the finished product to the masses. Not a bad thing.
  |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2009, 03:19 PM   #19
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushIsAPsycho
phew i wanted another ciccone youth album, i'm glad i was listening to it all along (Rather Ripped) :P

someone in another thread mentioned early versions of some new SY material was on you tube, any have any direct links?

just search for "mars" (i forget what the other one's called)
Old 01.12.2009, 03:27 PM   #20
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I think they're more curious than they are interested (whatever the difference might be) and even then, more in terms of what other bands SY fans listen to, general lifestyle stuff, etc.

I'm sure they wish RR was more popular on this board but they're no doubt more interested in the opinions of themselves and close friends than they are anybody here. (understandably)
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth