Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Do (should?) Sonic Youth care?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.12.2009, 05:38 PM   #21
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
hate to burst any bubbles, but I've never for a moment believed that Thurston is browsing the forums and yelling to the rest of the band "Hey guys! The fans want this one to sound like NYCG&F! Let's get crackin'!"
Hahahaha
Old 01.12.2009, 06:14 PM   #22
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
indeed what you said sonic beeb, they shoudn't care about what we are saying here, what people at all are saying. they just should do what they feel now, and I will buy it for sure. because even when they release a weak album which is washing machine for example (in my opinion) you can find couple of songs you like. and that is worth it!

and yeah i love them.

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2009, 06:20 PM   #23
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
I really strongly think that SY, to an extent, would be happy be blasted. The whole Madonna thing with Ciccone was blatantly anti-pop, which is by definition wanting most people to dislike you, and they later got to a point (around EJTNS) where anti-pop was too pop, and they reversed it.

SY is like an opposing magnet, reppelling itself away from anything it comes close to. If anything, they care about not taking their reputation too seriously.
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2009, 09:46 PM   #24
deflinus
expwy. to yr skull

deflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's assesdeflinus kicks all y'all's asses
they never look back
deflinus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.12.2009, 11:44 PM   #25
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
I hope they don't give a rat's ass what anyone thinks. I believe artists should create as if there are no other people in the world. If they do that, then their art will be uncompromised. I suspect that's how SY approaches it for the most part, but they are human, so who knows? Most of us desire some validation from others sometimes.
Old 01.13.2009, 12:03 AM   #26
acousticrock87
invito al cielo

acousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's assesacousticrock87 kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magic Wheel Memory
I believe artists should create as if there are no other people in the world.
That's a rather selfish perspective of art, though. There's a time and a place for selfish art, but if the audience is ignored, why release music at all? It's as much about the fans as it is the musicians. I don't really buy into the "no compromise" theory (at least not in most cases).
acousticrock87 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2009, 03:50 AM   #27
diskaholic-anonymous
stalker

diskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's asses
[quote=acousticrock87
SY is like an opposing magnet, reppelling itself away from anything it comes close to. If anything, they care about not taking their reputation too seriously.[/QUOTE]

i agree with all what you saying here, but it curious they don't forget who they are and what they mean to music, and Thurston ( mostly of the times) always introduce himself with a "tenn deep noisy voice" - hi , i'm Thurston Moore from Sonic Youth. But with a thousands projects they don't have time to listen opinions from fans or other people...maybe in private they listen.
diskaholic-anonymous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2009, 05:16 AM   #28
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
I know for a fact that Sonic Youth cares very much about fans caring about Sonic Youth's caring about what is their fans' opinion of their music.

But I also know that Sonic Youth don't care about what is anyone's opinion of their music, other than Barak Obama, who attends their band meetings evey Tuesday morning at 10.00 am in the Starbucks on 26th and Broadway.
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2009, 06:29 AM   #29
diskaholic-anonymous
stalker

diskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's assesdiskaholic-anonymous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by swa(y)
do you think fans should care about sonic youth's feelings regarding fans view's of their music?

no. the only thing S.Y should care is doing music as they love...and nothing else matters.
diskaholic-anonymous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2009, 09:52 AM   #30
Magic Wheel Memory
the end of the ugly

Magic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's assesMagic Wheel Memory kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by acousticrock87
That's a rather selfish perspective of art, though. There's a time and a place for selfish art, but if the audience is ignored, why release music at all? It's as much about the fans as it is the musicians. I don't really buy into the "no compromise" theory (at least not in most cases).

The idea is that if you create art without thinking about how it will be perceived by others, then it will be better. Then, when you share it with others, they will experience something more rewarding. By being "selfish," you are sharing more of yourself.
Old 01.13.2009, 12:41 PM   #31
Kosako
children of satan

Kosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's assesKosako kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicBebs
I watched the new songs on Youtube the other day, and listened to Rather Ripped and it got me thinking. There's alot of RR blasting on here, and people getting excited about new material, and saying what they think the songs should sound like (nycgaf by the way). But do SY care what we think?
should they?

One of the things that makes them so good is that they dont care what people think, and that they create what they want. And that has to include their fans otherwise they'll become compromised

Or should they do what they do best to keep their fans happy (who ultimatly keep them enabled to keep on keeping on)

Maybe you should say it right. People said in some post that they would like the next record to sound like... but that's it, just a desire or a wish. We all know Sonic Youth for being a beautiful band who doesn't cares about people wishes or desires. They are famous because they play what they feel, and people still loves what they feel. They (SY) don't sit on a table and say to themselves: "hey, let's look what our fans wants in the message board, so we can sell more" They just don't do that. So I think this thread is a waste of time, to read or answer. Good bye.
Kosako is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2009, 02:33 PM   #32
reginald
stalker

reginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's assesreginald kicks all y'all's asses
Maybe they were a little hurt by some of the negativism about RR on this board. Afterall, have they've only gone 3 years between releases once. WM - ATL.

1st- 1982
Confusion- '83
BMR- '85
Evol - '86
Sister- 87
DDN- '88
Goo- '90
Dirty- '92
EJSTNS - '94
Washing Machine- '95
A Thousand Leaves - '98
NYCf&g - 2000
Murray St. - 2002
Sonic Nurse - 2004
RR- 2006

next, 2009 if no delays.

Hey, I did pretty good remembering that. Good practice for me.

reginald is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2009, 02:35 PM   #33
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
They (the whole band) checks this board?...

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2009, 03:14 PM   #34
vulva
the end of the ugly

vulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's assesvulva kicks all y'all's asses
I think I missed out on something, new songs on youtube?
vulva is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.13.2009, 05:23 PM   #35
greedrex
invito al cielo

greedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's assesgreedrex kicks all y'all's asses
^lawlz
Old 01.14.2009, 04:49 AM   #36
SonicBebs
expwy. to yr skull

SonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's assesSonicBebs kicks all y'all's asses
forget the band reading the board busines, thats not really the point.

The point was should any artist care about how their art is perceived? Should they compromise for their audience or do whatever the fuck they want?

personaly i think that if you create anything with anything other than your soul in mind, then its compromised. It can still be worthwhile and effective but it's not as pure as it could be, and that pureness is somthing very important to me
SonicBebs is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2009, 05:01 AM   #37
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

ZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard suckaZEROpumpkins cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
They (the whole band) checks this board?...
I thought only Lee has been confirmed given he actually posts here. Thurston has made one post. No idea what account Steve and Kim use.
Old 01.14.2009, 05:11 AM   #38
king-buzzo
little trouble girl

king-buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking-buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking-buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking-buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking-buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking-buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking-buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking-buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking-buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking-buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking-buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
Kim posts under the username "Moshe".
king-buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.14.2009, 05:13 AM   #39
ZEROpumpkins
invito al cielo

Hey, it's king-buzzo's sockpuppet that may or may not be operated by him!
Old 01.14.2009, 05:29 AM   #40
king-buzzo
little trouble girl

king-buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking-buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking-buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking-buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking-buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking-buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking-buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking-buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking-buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking-buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking-buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZEROpumpkins
sockpuppet
I like that.
king-buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth