Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Album (?) thread: the First mini-lp
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 01.16.2011, 08:48 AM   #1
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
I wanted to start this thread, because there is already threads about those other before-EVOL -albums. How i got this is quite a same story as in Confusion. At first I thought I will search the vinyl. But then I noticed it would be quite impossible (I havenīt still seen any Neutral/Zensor -vinyls about both SY-albums here in Finland although Iīve been many years in this countryīs biggest vinyl-happening). I donīt remember, did I buy sst-cd from the local shop or ordered it somewhere. But it was before Washing Machine, quite soon after when I had bought Confusion-cd.

And I loved that cd immediately!!! In some Finnish-music magazine is said that SY first album is quite good although there are fumbling in some songs. I didnīt hear then (and not now also) any fumbling, I thought it was just great!!!I love all the songs! Maybe that writer meaned Edison drumplaying in I dreamed, because heīs not playing straight to it, but I think itīs just great!!! The version is much more better than in that early live, where he plays straight. The album is quite depressed, but in contrast there is so clear great sounds!!! And after that there hasnīt been as rhythmic songs, I think it is connected with Edison on drums.

When Goofinīre-release came, at first I thought I will not buy it because itīs not same version as the original. But the album kept on haunting in my mind (as many albums do when I see them in a shop) so after few months I decided to buy it. And I have been glad that I did!!! So great stories on it, also the live is very interesting. Some of the versions are not as good as in official release, but some are even better! (She is not alone, The Good and the Bad)
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2011, 11:08 AM   #2
CHOUT
invito al cielo

CHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's assesCHOUT kicks all y'all's asses
I love it also...the songs are great and the sound is great. It got a 'formative' vibe to me after knowing everything else, but a fascinating anomaly with standard tuned guitars and Edson's unique drumming (perhaps the highlight instrumentally of the ep, for me).

CHOUT is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2011, 12:20 PM   #3
badgercorn
bad moon rising

badgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's asses
I've been listening to this a lot recently. Definitely more of a no-wave/death disco type feel to it than any other SY album, the drums are a big part of that.
badgercorn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2011, 02:41 PM   #4
Chris Lawrence

Chris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's assesChris Lawrence kicks all y'all's asses
not an album. i quite like it, but i almost never listen to it. the reissue that came out almost 5 years ago now was really well done and worth the wait. it's funny to hear such clear production, i wonder how 'confusion' would've sounded recorded like this. and vice versa.
http://www.sonicyouth.com/mustang // original folk blues ... . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .i'm the boy that can enjoy invisibility. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Chris Lawrence is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2011, 03:58 PM   #5
easyrazors
little trouble girl

easyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asseseasyrazors kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Lawrence
not an album. i quite like it, but i almost never listen to it. the reissue that came out almost 5 years ago now was really well done and worth the wait. it's funny to hear such clear production, i wonder how 'confusion' would've sounded recorded like this. and vice versa.

This might not be the correct thread for my comment, but I think production is given too much creedence regarding so many recordings. In my opinion, the band know how they want to sound, what atmosphere they want to create and which feelings they want to evoke. In short, they know their material. Confusion is perfect, as it is. I can think of far more records where a "producer" has ruined the sound of the band versus a producer making shit shine (although not really a fan of either, the only two examples that spring to mind are George Martin with the Beatles (although it would be unfair to describe them as shit) and Trevor Horn with Frankie Goes to Hollywood, haha). Strangely, I was just listening to the Velvets, and wondering about Warhol's contribution, hehe. I don't know much of the history there.
I don't care much for polish nor homogeneous rawk.
easyrazors is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.16.2011, 05:46 PM   #6
Adolfo
children of satan

Adolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's asses
I Dreamed I Dream
Adolfo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2011, 12:56 AM   #7
musicplatypus
little trouble girl

musicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrazors

This is the major reason I am quite fond of Confusion -- the rawness . . . it is my favorite, right alongside Sister (I think it might be a tie).

(Oh, and the Eponymous EP(/LP) is (almost) right up there too.)

It always seemed to me to be there "tightest" album. Whereas other bands gradually tighten, SY seemed to loosen after their Debut . . . and then eventually tightened up that loosening. . . ah the many reasons I love The Sonic-Youth!
musicplatypus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.17.2011, 02:47 AM   #8
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by easyrazors
This might not be the correct thread for my comment, but I think production is given too much creedence regarding so many recordings. In my opinion, the band know how they want to sound, what atmosphere they want to create and which feelings they want to evoke. In short, they know their material. Confusion is perfect, as it is. I can think of far more records where a "producer" has ruined the sound of the band versus a producer making shit shine (although not really a fan of either, the only two examples that spring to mind are George Martin with the Beatles (although it would be unfair to describe them as shit) and Trevor Horn with Frankie Goes to Hollywood, haha). Strangely, I was just listening to the Velvets, and wondering about Warhol's contribution, hehe. I don't know much of the history there.

I agree. I think the production fits very well in both albums, the clear production in first wouldnīt worked in Confusion. I think many new albums are boring also because theyīre "too well" produced. For example the Stooges Weirdiness might be better, if it doesnīt have so boring sounds.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.18.2011, 06:47 AM   #9
RanaldoNecro
expwy. to yr skull

RanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's assesRanaldoNecro kicks all y'all's asses
I picked this up a solid 10 years after all of the others 80s albums and much prefer it.

The recording is shockingly pristine for 1982 and the bonus tracks do the period justice. By far the best re-issue I have bought in a long time.
Old 01.18.2011, 07:03 AM   #10
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
I don't want to push it.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth