Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page 09/03/06 - Avalon Ballroom, Boston MA
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.06.2006, 11:30 AM   #41
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://www.boston.com/news/globe/liv...+%2F+Arts+News

Sonic Youth tones it down to great effect

By Marc Hirsh, Globe Correspondent | September 6, 2006
Let's take a moment to praise Sonic Youth's guitar techs. They may have the single hardest backstage job in the business, working as they do for a band whose every song requires a unique tuning. They don't just prepare the instruments (each one differently), they have actual guitar cues, for crying out loud, making sure that the right one gets into the right hands at the right time.
Were it not for them, Sonic Youth might not be the great live band it is. At the very least, if Lee Ranaldo and Thurston Moore were themselves responsible for making quick changeovers to the correct guitars, they'd be a lot more frazzled.

At Avalon Sunday, Sonic Youth laid down the bulk of the strong new disc ``Rather Ripped " alongside a handful of older numbers. In doing so, the band avoided much of the noise and squall that has become synonymous with its name over the past 25 years.
Sure, Moore and Ranaldo went at their guitars with drumsticks, EBows, screwdrivers, and other guitars. But such experimentalism is, ironically enough, a standard part of their performance tool kit by now, as is bassist Kim Gordon's dancing and spinning with abandon as the music reaches freakout intensity. (Pavement's Mark Ibold picked up the slack with a second bass.)
This time around, Sonic Youth was mostly just a band playing songs, and it was a guise that suited it well. ``Teen Age Riot " and ``Incinerate " were propelled by rolling guitar lines and leaping, ecstatic riffs, and Moore's half-whispered vocals atop Steve Shelley's hyperactive heartbeat drums gave ``Or" a celestial sparseness.
Best of all was the almost indescribably gorgeous ``Do You Believe In Rapture? ," built on pinging, churchlike harmonics. It was a less assaultive take on the band's quest for new sounds, and if the lack of pure noise meant that Sonic Youth didn't ripple, it could still glide.

Wooden Wand opened with an agreeably sleepy set of vaguely rustic folk-inspired songs driven by gentle electric guitar and drums.

Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.07.2006, 10:35 PM   #42
rids
empty page

rids has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Does anybody know the setlist for Wooden Wand?
rids is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.18.2006, 04:41 PM   #43
glofus
empty page

glofus has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I was there! I loved the noise thing they did after TR.
glofus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2006, 12:38 AM   #44
guitarpro
100%

guitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's asses
Cool set list The World Looks Red rocks live
Old 10.22.2006, 01:51 PM   #45
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
speaking of this show......where are the bootlegs from it? I want to hear it all over again, it was such a good show. Plus Lee signed my copy of Goo!
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.11.2006, 02:05 AM   #46
rids
empty page

rids has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Hey guys, sorry to bring up this old thread, buuuuut:

Does anyone know, or remember wooden wands set list from this show?? I am just dying to know so I can download of off iTunes. Thanks everyone!
rids is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth