Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page The Eternal will be 10 years old soon.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.06.2019, 03:16 PM   #1
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
I'm getting fucking old.

Discuss.
Old 04.07.2019, 02:35 PM   #2
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
10? that flies. time to relisten

radios play nothing when she's far away/ TV antenna rusts and gone to waste..

late SY era, mark ibold, matador records...

great live footage by Jef Martens from the Eternal tour in Brussels. was lucky enough to see three shows from that tour. that was one of them. and it was a good night too. btw., seen the whole footage of that show and it is amazing. pitty it ended up in archives for timebeing..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eU2K4XlIqPU

always wondering how cool would it be to see them play in 80ies or 90ies.

massage the history and what we know are def. my fav. from this album. like this vid. a lot too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rL7OKG_NVQ

greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2019, 02:41 PM   #3
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
It was a wonderful album to go out on. It's hard to believe they did not plan it as the last one.

I thought they were doing sessions for the next one when the split happened. I wonder if there is anything in the vaults from 2011ish.
Old 04.07.2019, 04:11 PM   #4
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj
It was a wonderful album to go out on. It's hard to believe they did not plan it as the last one.

I thought they were doing sessions for the next one when the split happened. I wonder if there is anything in the vaults from 2011ish.

Whaaaa?

It’s easily their worst full-length, official discography album.

It has some great tunes, but to end a career on that? It’s the tamest version of Sonic Youth ever. Even tamer than the overtly and deliberately poppy Rather Ripped.

Good album, “Massage the History” is goddamn great, and I played the thing like crazy when it came out, but it’s the only album from the 2000s that I haven’t felt compelled to revisit with mind-blowing results.

Maybe I’ll give it a spin again soon, but man... when they broke up after that record, I was depressed as hell.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.07.2019, 04:16 PM   #5
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight

massage the history and what we know are def. my fav. from this album. like this vid. a lot too
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8rL7OKG_NVQ

Massage the History, Antenna, Poison Arrow for me.
Old 04.07.2019, 05:22 PM   #6
Skuj
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Whaaaa?

Yikes!!

I agree with you on many things musical, but on this, we will have to agree to disagree.
Old 04.07.2019, 08:38 PM   #7
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Yikes!!

I agree with you on many things musical, but on this, we will have to agree to disagree.

So, you think that The Eternal was an adequate way to cap a career that kicked off in earnest with Bad Moon Rising, contained three of the most influential and adventurous trilogies of albums of the past 40 years and, up until the end, was operating on all cylinders with the perfect Murray Street, the very-near-perfect Sonic Nurse and the band *finally* succeeding in creating a marketable noise-pop record that was neither too avant-garde nor too traditional on Rather Ripped?

The Eternal? Really?

I would have preferred the end with a balls-out, epic noise-punk squall. Instead they ended with the least essential album they ever made.

But again, it’s SY, so it’s still good stuff, but I wish it had ended differently.
Old 04.08.2019, 02:53 AM   #8
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

yet, the album peaked at No. 18 on the Billboard 200 and was the band's highest charting album of their career in the United States and highest charting album since EJSTNS.

Old 04.08.2019, 03:17 AM   #9
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
The Eternal? Really?

I would have preferred the end with a balls-out, epic noise-punk squall. Instead they ended with the least essential album they ever made.

But again, it’s SY, so it’s still good stuff, but I wish it had ended differently.

On the pop-rock aspects of the album, Moore noted, "I can sort of see a relationship between some of The Eternal and Dirty in terms of the dynamic". He argued that the band "definitely wanted to make songs as opposed to doing an avant-garde opus".On the choice of Matador, he explained that "we decided that they're a really strong song-supportive label". Ranaldo noted how they found inspiration in their earlier recordings on Daydream Nation, which "had an energy that we'd kind of forgotten about, and some of that energy and the experience of doing those songs impacted on the new record."

Old 04.08.2019, 05:57 AM   #10
GravitySlips
children of satan

GravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's assesGravitySlips kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
So, you think that The Eternal was an adequate way to cap a career that kicked off in earnest with Bad Moon Rising, contained three of the most influential and adventurous trilogies of albums of the past 40 years and, up until the end, was operating on all cylinders with the perfect Murray Street, the very-near-perfect Sonic Nurse and the band *finally* succeeding in creating a marketable noise-pop record that was neither too avant-garde nor too traditional on Rather Ripped?

The Eternal? Really?

I don't really like The Eternal but I think it's a LOT better than Rather Ripped.

I wouldn't call it a "fitting finale" either, but they were never going to go out with anything that sounded like the otherworldly, noisy work they produced in the 80s anyway. To me, the band's final three albums are very much the sound of a band going through the motions (I don't share your love of Sonic Nurse, it seems, albeit it's miles better than RR and Eternal). I kind of wish they'd just chucked it after Murray Street, which I like a lot.
GravitySlips is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2019, 07:27 AM   #11
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
yet, the album peaked at No. 18 on the Billboard 200 and was the band's highest charting album of their career in the United States and highest charting album since EJSTNS.

Well, charts have never meant anything in SY discussions, so I’m not sure what the grin is for. There’s almost no correlation between popularity and quality when it comes to SY.

Anyway, very disappointing final record for a band with one of the best discographies in music.

Would be much less pissy about it if it hadn’t ended with that. Though “Massage the History” is a good final track.
Old 04.08.2019, 08:49 AM   #12
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
I'm getting fucking old.

Discuss.
yes
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.08.2019, 12:34 PM   #13
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
what the grin is for.
meaning, how ironic.

Old 04.08.2019, 04:27 PM   #14
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
meaning, how ironic.
don’t you think?
Old 04.09.2019, 03:35 AM   #15
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
don’t you think?

I do.

Old 04.10.2019, 12:51 PM   #16
Screaming Skull
children of satan

Screaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's assesScreaming Skull kicks all y'all's asses
A traffic jam when you're already late
A no-smoking sign on your cigarette break
It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife
It's meeting the man of my dreams
And then meeting his beautiful wife
And isn't it ironic, don't you think
A little too ironic, and yeah I really do think
Screaming Skull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.10.2019, 08:02 PM   #17
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
meaning, how ironic.

K, but what meaning. That you’re happy? Feeling smug about your point that sales = quality? Obviously if that were the case, we’d all be on a different forum.
Old 04.10.2019, 09:17 PM   #18
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Screaming Skull
A traffic jam when you're already late
A no-smoking sign on your cigarette break
It's like ten thousand spoons when all you need is a knife
It's meeting the man of my dreams
And then meeting his beautiful wife
And isn't it ironic, don't you think
A little too ironic, and yeah I really do think
it's like rain on your wedding day! xD xD xD
Old 04.10.2019, 10:21 PM   #19
SonicSleuth
little trouble girl

SonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's asses
Isn't it ironic that the lyrics to AM's song are not examples of irony, but rather, misfortune? Irony is if a person is late to receiving an award for punctuality, or even a no-smoking sign in a smoke shop. Was always annoyed by this... but of course, there are bigger concerns in life.
SonicSleuth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2019, 12:24 AM   #20
greenlight
invito al cielo

Quote:
K, but what meaning. That you’re happy? Feeling smug about your point that sales = quality? Obviously if that were the case, we’d all be on a different forum.

is my English that bad? meaning that this would be one of weakest albums in their discography, yet it was one of the best selling albums since EJTNS...how ironic... does that make any sense, coz now I am not sure now

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth