Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page "Rock, Paper, Scissors"
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.22.2009, 02:34 AM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses

Featuring:
Mike Watt+thesecondmen
Lee Ranaldo (sonic youth)
The NicheMakers (feat. Raymond Pettibon)
Ron English’s Electric Illuminati

with opening hootenanny by
Old War Shirt
M.S. Garvey’s Buspoems
Slings
Famous Bob Rokos

About the Art Exhibition:
R O C K P A P E R S C I S S O R
featuring Raymond Pettibon, Daniel Johnston, Ron English, Thurston Moore, Kim Gordon, Lee Ranaldo & Gibby Haynes
Curated by Jon Cournoyer
ROBERT BERMAN GALLERY, February 28 - March 21, 2009
Opening Reception: Saturday, February 28th, 6:30-9:30pm with DJ Shepard Fairey
RSVP to rsvp@robertbermangallery.com
Robert Berman Gallery is pleased to present the group exhibition Rock, Paper, Scissor on view February 28 – March 21, 2009. The show will feature noteworthy artists who freely use, base imagery on, thrive, and excel in both the mediums of visual art and music. The artists taking part in the show are Raymond Pettibon, Daniel Johnston, Ron English, Gibby Haynes of the Butthole Surfers and Thurston Moore, Kim Gordon and Lee Ranaldo of Sonic Youth.
This exhibition highlights these artists who in both the mediums of music and art have created a memorable and historical body of work and continue to do so. Born from outsider roots stemming from Los Angeles, New York and Texas, they blurred the boundaries of aural and visual expressions creating what would become a hallmark of material from the period of the 1980’s-1990’s, eventually being absorbed by both the mainstream public and art industries. It’s influences today are countless.
On exhibit will be paintings, drawings, collages, conceptual pieces and installations as well as ephemera including lyric sheets by Raymond Pettibon that have rarely been exhibited. Also a large collection or rare and early Daniel Johnston works, many of which have never been publicly exhibited, will also be on view from the collection of Don Goede, co-author along with Tarssa Yazdan of the definitive book on the artist Hi, How Are You?. These works will be published in the next edition of this book as well.
Being an art exhibit based on artists who also are musicians, a live performance is scheduled for the weekend of the opening reception to be hosted by the very well respected Santa Monica Museum of Art, which is located a few doors down from us at Bergamot Station. Raymond Pettibon and the NicheMakers and Ron English’s Electric Illuminati along with are scheduled to play.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.22.2009, 08:30 AM   #2
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
Good grief!
Old 02.22.2009, 01:05 PM   #3
barnaclelapse
the destroyed room

barnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's asses
That's not at all scary as hell....
barnaclelapse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.22.2009, 03:26 PM   #4
BootsyGraham
little trouble girl

BootsyGraham kicks all y'all's assesBootsyGraham kicks all y'all's assesBootsyGraham kicks all y'all's assesBootsyGraham kicks all y'all's assesBootsyGraham kicks all y'all's assesBootsyGraham kicks all y'all's assesBootsyGraham kicks all y'all's assesBootsyGraham kicks all y'all's assesBootsyGraham kicks all y'all's assesBootsyGraham kicks all y'all's assesBootsyGraham kicks all y'all's asses
Spaceland is 21 and over right?
BootsyGraham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2009, 06:54 PM   #5
Kegmama
empty page

Kegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's assesKegmama kicks all y'all's asses
I am going to this!!! Can't f-ing wait! Got my tix today. Spaceland is one of my fav little LA venues.
Jenn- too bad you and Panto can't go with me.

I am especially excited to check out the exhibit at Berman. It will be nice to finally see some Kim/Thurston/Lee/Ray & Gibby art up close and personal.

Yeah, Spaceland is 21 and over.

Kegmama is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2009, 08:51 PM   #6
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
Damn why did I just find out about this today.
✌➬ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.24.2009, 10:58 PM   #7
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
Stupid 21 and over venues.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.25.2009, 01:19 AM   #8
BootsyGraham
little trouble girl

BootsyGraham kicks all y'all's assesBootsyGraham kicks all y'all's assesBootsyGraham kicks all y'all's assesBootsyGraham kicks all y'all's assesBootsyGraham kicks all y'all's assesBootsyGraham kicks all y'all's assesBootsyGraham kicks all y'all's assesBootsyGraham kicks all y'all's assesBootsyGraham kicks all y'all's assesBootsyGraham kicks all y'all's assesBootsyGraham kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonikJesus

Yeah, it really makes it difficult to see and play a lot of shows. There are tons of shows that I would see at Alex's Bar. The Meat Puppets...
BootsyGraham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.25.2009, 05:08 AM   #9
nancykitten
children of satan

nancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's assesnancykitten kicks all y'all's asses
Just be thankful yr not old.

nancykitten is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.25.2009, 05:52 AM   #10
✌➬
invito al cielo

✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses✌➬ kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonikJesus

It sucks for you. Sadly I won't be attending this one. I just ran out of cash.
✌➬ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.25.2009, 06:28 AM   #11
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://losangeles.metromix.com:80/ev...956811/content

“I haven’t really slept much in the last few weeks,” Jon Cournoyer half-laughs and half-sighs on the phone from the Robert Berman Gallery in Santa Monica. The L.A.-based curator, artist and musician is on the final stretch to opening Rock, Paper, Scissor, a three-day art affair and musical bonanza that’s been incubating since last summer.
More ethereally, it’s been in the works for more than a decade. Having assembled a roster of artists and musicians he never imagined he’d get on one bill, Cournoyer admits, “I am a giant fan of everyone in the show, so I guess it started there, maybe 15 years ago.” Last summer, while he was chatting with Raymond Pettibon (longtime album art designer for Black Flag and a well-respected fine artist), Cournoyer came up with the idea of an exhibit featuring the artwork of musicians. He didn’t have high expectations.
“We started throwing names out, and it seemed really far-fetched,” he says of the show, which includes work by Sonic Youth founders Kim Gordon, Thurston Moore and Lee Ranaldo. “But everyone’s excited and into it. I had no idea I would end up with this roster. It’s been like a dream; these guys are my heroes.”
Legendary pop artist Ron English, who is also a lyricist for several bands, is throwing work in the mix, as is Daniel Johnston, the subject of the 2006 documentary "The Devil and Daniel Johnston." An eccentric icon in music and art subcultures, Johnston is widely considered a founding figure in the alternative music genre and this show includes some rare, never-before-seen early drawings and paintings shipped by his long-time tour manager and close friend, Don Goede.
The musicians involved in the exhibit, Cournoyer notes, don’t merely dabble in visual arts when they’re off tour or make doodles between albums. “Each of them are established artists,” he says. “They’ve excelled at both mediums.” Pettibon, for example, has exhibited work at MOCA, the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art and institutions internationally. Gordon, the bassist of Sonic Youth, graduated from Otis College and has worked as an artist, curator and art journalist. Johnston packaged most of his musical releases with his own album art.
Pieces have been arriving at the gallery over the past few months, and Cournoyer says the show is “miraculously coming together.” But harnessing the energy of a rock-based collection presents new curatorial considerations. Cournoyer, who is also designing the exhibition catalog for the show, says he’s hanging the pieces unlike any show he’s organized before. He wants the exhibit to be an “edgy and beautiful thing to walk through” and as work arrives, he’s fitting pieces into a certain flow. He calls it “more of a performance installation.”
Ranaldo, a guitarist in Sonic Youth and a pioneer of rock audio, will exhibit a timeworn hand-painted guitar that seems to explode hand-lettered poetry onto a blank white wall. English will contribute bizarre, intricately rendered portraits of children impeccably made up in full Kiss attire, their hips jutting out behind an oversize guitar.
Moore will display a collage featuring archival photos of Lou Reed and others juxtaposed with cut-and-paste type reading “The Egolessness of Heroes.” Gordon’s work includes paintings based on noise bands, bearing titles like "Sickness" and "Hair Police." Even Gibby Haynes, the charismatic and theatrical frontman of the Butthole Surfers, will show his two-dimensional outpourings.
Among this melange, lyrics sheets will grace the walls as installation pieces. Of the parallel between verse and the visual arts, Pettibon notes: “They are the same for me. Writing lyrics is very similar to making art.”
These multi-hyphenate artists aren’t just donning their art berets: The exhibit’s opening reception takes place Feb. 28, but festivities will begin the night before at Spaceland, with live sets by the Niche Makers (featuring Cournoyer and Pettibon), Ron English’s band Electric Illuminati, plus Mike Watt and other, as-yet-unnamed special guests.
Saturday’s opening reception at Robert Berman Gallery will feature the premiere of the show’s artwork, plenty of rock celebrities to ogle and a set by Shepard Fairey (aka DJ Diabetic). The gallery is one of the oldest in Bergamot Station, occupying two spaces and boasting a history of exhibits by Keith Haring, William S. Burroughs and Man Ray.
Of Southern California’s reputation for art, Cournoyer laments, “A lot of the L.A. art scene doesn’t get the praise it deserves.” But he champions Robert Berman Gallery and says: “I'm glad I ended up there and not one of the glossier galleries in town as [it feels] very connected to the old-school art world of L.A. Personally, I think that’s priceless.”
Rock, Paper, Scissor will soldier on with one more evening of revelry Sunday with a concert at theSanta Monica Museum of Art, just a few doors down from the Robert Berman space. As a benefit for the museum, the Niche Makers, Mike Watt and Ron English (plus more special guests) will take the outdoor stage; in true “party like a rock star” fashion, open-bar libations will be flowing.
Cournoyer has nothing but praise for the museum, gushing, “They do everything with integrity; I’m thrilled to be working with them.” Proceeds from the concert will help fund future exhibitions at the Santa Monica Museum of Art, which may just inspire more musicians to take to the easel.
When did the ambitious curator determine Rock, Paper, Scissor would be an epic three-day affair? “When I decided to run my psyche and body into the ground,” Courveyor deadpans. He drops the irony and says in earnest, “I feel it's a special and important show…and it warrants a good, long weekend binge.”
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.25.2009, 11:07 AM   #12
hiland
children of satan

hiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asseshiland kicks all y'all's asses
did you check out the pieces???

Kim Gordon
Sickness, 2009
gesso on canvas, 60 x 40 inches
Courtesy of KS Art, New York

Thurston Moore
Street Mouth #9 - The Egolessness of Heroes, 2005
Archival ink jet print
24 x 21.25 inches
Courtesy of KS Art, New York

Lee Ranaldo
Highway Song 4: Glastonbury Fayre, 2005
Handwritten text, acoustic guitar, video moniter, silent 3 minute video loop
39 x 14.5 x 4 inches

Lee Ranaldo, Abbey Road, ink on paper, 22 x 30 inches
Courtesy of Country Club Projects, Cincinatti, OH

the rest are here.....
hiland is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.26.2009, 09:54 PM   #13
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancykitten
Just be thankful yr not old.

Yeah, I was so depressed when I turned 20. I really don't want to turn 21. Stupid clubs don't let you have fun till yr too old to have fun.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth