Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page 09/03/06 - Avalon Ballroom, Boston MA
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.04.2006, 04:00 PM   #21
dnorsen
bad moon rising

dnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's asses
i met thurston briefly earlier in the day at twisted village (in harvard sq.) after missing his set with gown. gave him a dozen posters or so for the show and had a nice conversation with him about the sunburned boys and my art. show fuckin' slayed from beginning to end. way way better than the show in 2004 which killed too!!!
dnorsen is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2006, 04:32 PM   #22
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
those are excelent pics.
thanks!
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2006, 09:24 PM   #23
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
more photos and a link to the motherlode can be found here:
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...125#post171125
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.04.2006, 10:27 PM   #24
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
What can I say? Excellent fucking show. I've been waiting for SY to return to Massamachusetts for over 2 years now and I must say, they did not dissapoint. Tight set. Sonic Youth is one of the most well dispiclined bands around. That is what makes them so great. Not only do they create marvelous art, but they are consistantly genius. They have never gone through a slump period like other bands. No matter what material they release, they are always in top performing shape.

"Yes. Pick up your puppy."
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2006, 12:25 AM   #25
DoubleNickels
bad moon rising

DoubleNickels ain't too shabby
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee
What can I say? Excellent fucking show. I've been waiting fdor SY to return to Mass for over 2 years now and I must say, they did not dissapoint. Tight set. Sonic Youth is one of the most well dispiclined bands around. That is what makes them so great. Not only do they create marvelous art, but they are consistantly genius. They have never gone through a slump period like other bands. No matter what material they release, they are always in top performing shape.

I dunno, I'd argue that statement, but they definitly have the best track record for excellent albums. I hate "Experimental Jet Set, Trash and No Star" save for a few songs, but I mean, what albums did they make before that "dud"? Evol, DDN, Goo, Sister just to name a few... And after it? Washing Machine, ATL, NYC G+F...
Old 09.05.2006, 08:23 AM   #26
dnorsen
bad moon rising

dnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's assesdnorsen kicks all y'all's asses
hey bruce- just looked through your photos and realized i met you and your friend before the show. i was the guy with the tattoo...
Old 09.05.2006, 09:12 AM   #27
logcabinrecluse
bad moon rising

logcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asseslogcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asseslogcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asseslogcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asseslogcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asseslogcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asseslogcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asseslogcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asseslogcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asseslogcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asseslogcabinrecluse kicks all y'all's asses
i got to the show late and missed wooden wand - big big letdown. anybody know what was played? tell me about wooden wand's set!
Old 09.05.2006, 09:57 AM   #28
dnorsen
bad moon rising

that sucks! i had that happen to me once a long, long time ago when i was asked to shoot a MMW show. photo pass was worth shit and all the pictures were crap since it didnt get me any closer than 10 rows back... but for what it is you can still you had a photo pass for a sonic youth show!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sidemouse
Cool!
I had a photo pass for the SY show - but it turns out it wasn't really good for anything... there was no barrier between stage & audience for photographers to get up close (like there was for the Dinosaur Jr show back in July '05).
I talked to Lee to see if it would be OK to get back stage to take some photos (I had no problem doing this at Dinosaur - but the bouncer dude wouldn't let me backstage for SY with a photo pass)... Lee also said "no"...
So all of the photos I took were from where we were standing (pretty far away) - I had to heavily photoshop them to get them to look halfway crappy (instead of completley crappy)...

Nice meeting you.
Old 09.05.2006, 10:00 AM   #29
dnorsen
bad moon rising

i thought wooden wand was fantastic. i never heard any of his/their stuff until a couple months back when i got a promo of the new album and it never left my ipod. it was mostly if not all from the new album, except the 2nd song which i had never heard. it had a great swamp boogie feel to it and id like to hear it again... also i dont know if you saw him later on, but he totally looked like walter from big lebowski with his new doo, shades and choice of attire...

Quote:
Originally Posted by logcabinrecluse
i got to the show late and missed wooden wand - big big letdown. anybody know what was played? tell me about wooden wand's set!
Old 09.05.2006, 11:32 AM   #30
against_the_grain
stalker

against_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard suckaagainst_the_grain cold hard sucka
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingcoffee
What can I say? Excellent fucking show. I've been waiting fdor SY to return to Mass for over 2 years now and I must say, they did not dissapoint. Tight set. Sonic Youth is one of the most well dispiclined bands around. That is what makes them so great. Not only do they create marvelous art, but they are consistantly genius. They have never gone through a slump period like other bands. No matter what material they release, they are always in top performing shape.

So has Daycare finally impressed Rather Ripped on you enough to have enjoyed that material live ?

How do you feel about it now ?

Converted yet ? I just remember you not caring too much for it, unless you changed your mind and I didn't see that....

Do not fear mistakes. There are none

Miles Davis
against_the_grain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2006, 01:52 PM   #31
dazedcola
the end of the ugly

dazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's assesdazedcola kicks all y'all's asses
this was such a great show. I loved how they had paint and pictures projected over the band at certain points it gave it a real trippy 60s acid happening vibe to it. The songs were all fantastic.Skip Tracer was amazing,as was the lengthy extended noise ending to Teenage Riot and the pair of songs form confusion is sex. You never know what to expect whe you see SY live but you always know you;ll come back satisfied.

To Top it all off Lee signed my copy of Goo Reissued
Ill meet ya on the next one
And dont be late "
-Jimi Hendrix

...And me just another dream theory, lost inside your eye

"when my mind's uncertain my body decides
what it will do to get through the hell of the night
as I trip on the ocean that leads through your eyes
well my eyes can't wait til they finally see through you"
dazedcola is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2006, 02:13 PM   #32
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://theedge.bostonherald.com/musi...ticleid=155899

Sonic Youth matures into powerful force
By Christopher John Treacy
Tuesday, September 5, 2006

Never mind the unexplained platter of condiments perched atop its sound system - Sonic Youth has finally come of age.

Fifteen discs and a quarter century into its career, the New York-based noise squad’s ‘‘Rather Ripped” is disarmingly listenable - not what we’ve come to expect.

The band’s sold-out final summer gig at Avalon on Sunday night focused heavily on new material, but Sonic Youth hasn’t sacrificed artistic integrity to make a pop record. Judging by the positive reaction of the crowd, its fans are on the same page.
What really came across Sunday was that post-punk is all grown up, and Sonic Youth is the best possible outcome. As if to underscore that fact, the Library of Congress has opted to include its 1988 collegiate breakthrough, ‘‘Daydream Nation,” in its permanent collection.

The reluctant power couple of Kim Gordon and Thurston Moore alternated lead vocals and switched between guitar and bass, playing with a confidence and synergy rarely found in the avant-rock realm. Guitarist Lee Renaldo also got in on the musical chairs, occasionally playing bass and singing lead on ‘‘Skip Tracer” (from 1995’s ‘‘Washing Machine”) and ‘‘Rats,” while drummer Steve Shelley remained seated at his kit throughout.

Moore’s math-y ‘‘Candle,” from the landmark ‘‘Nation,” gave way to Gordon’s ultramelodic ‘‘Reena,” then back to Moore for the fiery clang of ‘‘Incinerate.”

Gordon has plenty of presence, made sexier by her seeming indifference to ‘‘frontwoman” status. Dressed in an elegant vintage champagne-colored satin dress (a cool contrast), she flailed, pogoed and shimmied whenever possible. Additional touring bassist Mark Ibold subsidized Gordon’s playing, no doubt a relief since she suffers from acute tendonitis.

The backdrop screen projected aerial images of suburbia for the charging ‘‘Teenage Riot” and a capsule of Prozac swimming in liquid during the gauzy, medicated textures of the eerie lullaby ‘‘Turquoise Boy.”

The urgent clamor of the closing song, ‘‘Shaking Hell,” foreshadowed that, most likely, this melodic pocket is merely a rest stop en route to some new noisy spot on Sonic Youth’s musically congested highway.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2006, 03:14 PM   #33
blackhawk902
empty page

blackhawk902 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
I thought Wooden Wand was disappointing, recently got their new album (on KRS), liked it well enough, and thought their set was a letdown. But they did only play for 20 minutes.

Sonic Youth was amazing, was 2 people from the front center, Shaking Hell a great way to end it, and how 'bout that Skip Tracer?

As for Kim's 'be reasonable' comment, that wasn't really directed to anyone, a lot of people were shouting out weird stuff (I personally was yelling for Schizophrenia), hell one kid was yelling out Pavement songs.
blackhawk902 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2006, 03:19 PM   #34
blackhawk902
empty page

blackhawk902 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
What has with the mustard and jelly on the stack?
Anybody?
blackhawk902 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2006, 03:21 PM   #35
nicfit
invito al cielo

nicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's assesnicfit kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
This is Lee telling me I can't get backstage to take photos:

ha ha,you tried to make him blind with flash to sneak in,huh?
11:11 11-11-11 I Ascended.
nicfit is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.05.2006, 06:20 PM   #36
narlus
100%

narlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's assesnarlus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Cool!
I had a photo pass for the SY show - but it turns out it wasn't really good for anything... there was no barrier between stage & audience for photographers to get up close.

hey man, i was the one who talked to you and yr buddy on the green line after the show, when i saw you checking out the shots on yr camera. where were you for the show, to the side of the stage? on thurston's side i saw some guy w/ a vid camera, and occasionally an SLR, and there were a couple of kids next to him. were you behind him, or on the other side?

my wife and i got there very early to stake a claim at the front; i was right in front of kim's mic stand. it was tiring to stand for ~5 hrs but i think it was worth it.
narlus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2006, 03:28 AM   #37
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
You can see more of my photos here:

http://bruce.sidemouse.com/sonicyouth/

Cool site sidemouse. Great photo's and I love your cats.
Old 09.06.2006, 08:16 AM   #38
laxfridge
empty page

laxfridge has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by narlus
more photos and a link to the motherlode can be found here:
http://www.sonicyouth.com/gossip/sho...125#post171125

narlus, thanks for the pics.

what a great show.
laxfridge is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.06.2006, 08:39 AM   #39
dnorsen
bad moon rising

[quote=narlus]on thurston's side i saw some guy w/ a vid camera, and occasionally an SLR, and there were a couple of kids next to him. were you behind him, or on the other side?quote]

that was andrew kesin from ecstatic peace. i have been trying to meet him for a year or more now, and we were both bummed to find out we were standing next to each other most of the night not knowing so. reena and incinerate were both dedicated to his kids. how cool is that!
Old 09.06.2006, 08:48 AM   #40
dnorsen
bad moon rising

by the way here is the poster for the show that i designed. appx 30 of the 50 still left. same colors on heavy chocolate colored paper for $30, shipping included... thurston received a bunch on sunday and he was way into them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Evol

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth