Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page How fast will this sell out?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.23.2006, 04:11 PM   #1
Almost Crimes
empty page

Almost Crimes has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Wondering about The Flaming Lips w/ Sonic Youth w/ Ween w/ The Magic Numbers at the Mohegan Sun Grandstand at the NYS Fair, in Syracuse, NY 9/01/06

Unforunately, tickets go on sale tomorrow at the same time as my highschool graduation. I am hoping to come home tomorrow to buy some. The only other really big show I've bought tickets for was Radiohead a few years back. I bought tickets right when they went online and I remember them selling out pretty fast. Hopefully the show I want to attend won't sell out as fast... any thoughts?
Almost Crimes is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 04:11 PM   #2
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
Not fast.
Old 06.23.2006, 04:11 PM   #3
cryptowonderdruginvogue
invito al cielo

cryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's assescryptowonderdruginvogue kicks all y'all's asses
uhmm
QUICK

ween & flaming lips in colorado sold out
QUICKLY
cryptowonderdruginvogue is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 04:12 PM   #4
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

HaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's assesHaydenAsche kicks all y'all's asses
But look at the venue. Grandstand at the fair?
Old 06.23.2006, 04:14 PM   #5
thewall91
children of satan

thewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's asses
i posted it yesterday. tickets are on presale through the ween website. password is boognish. it's under tourdates on ween.com
thewall91 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 04:19 PM   #6
Almost Crimes
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall91
i posted it yesterday. tickets are on presale through the ween website. password is boognish. it's under tourdates on ween.com

Although it's not really your fault I really hate you right now.

9/1/2006 New York State Fairgrounds Syracuse,NY PreSale Closed

I was really excited too =\
Old 06.23.2006, 04:21 PM   #7
Almost Crimes
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by cryptowonderdruginvogue
uhmm
QUICK

ween & flaming lips in colorado sold out
QUICKLY

How long do you think I have? Graduation begins at 11 AM. I have a small school so I hope to be done by 1 PM. The tickets can't sell out in 3 hours can they?
Old 06.23.2006, 04:22 PM   #8
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

They could. Fuck Graduation.
Old 06.23.2006, 04:25 PM   #9
Almost Crimes
empty page

I'm gonna try to get my dad to stay home to buy the ticket and then go to my graduation right after that.

If I'm at risk at having them sell out. Don't want to miss out on this opportunity.
Old 06.23.2006, 04:25 PM   #10
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

OR Get your dad to graduate for you.
Old 06.23.2006, 04:29 PM   #11
Almost Crimes
empty page

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaydenAsche
OR Get your dad to graduate for you.

I wish. I found out how retarded my school was today.. (well I already knew but..) instead of lining us up alphabetically, we're arranged by our GPA. So since I completely slacked off in highschool I'm sitting in the last row with a bunch of other ... well, kids who don't pull the best grades. You know what I mean, I don't want to sound like a pompous asshole, some of these kids are my friends, I just don't think it's very fair to have the kids graduate in the order of highest GPA to last.

I guess this is getting too offtopic though. I just want to get this shit done with, get my tickets, and party.
Old 06.23.2006, 04:45 PM   #12
thewall91
children of satan

thewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's assesthewall91 kicks all y'all's asses
what about the old-fashioned way of calling ticketmaster's 800 number. people must still do that, right??
Old 06.23.2006, 11:27 PM   #13
mushmanski57@hotmail.com
stalker

mushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's asses
Honestly, I bet you'll be fine. It won't sell out that fast. Enjoy your graduation
mushmanski57@hotmail.com is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.23.2006, 11:28 PM   #14
HaydenAsche
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewall91
what about the old-fashioned way of calling ticketmaster's 800 number. people must still do that, right??

Shit, no.
Old 06.23.2006, 11:37 PM   #15
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Yep...

as a rule of thumb, hardcore Ween & The Flaming Lips fans have lots more disposable income than Sonic Youth fans.

...which also explains why both those bands have outsold the mighty Sonic Youth.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2006, 12:08 AM   #16
thewall91
children of satan

Quote:
as a rule of thumb, hardcore Ween & The Flaming Lips fans have lots more disposable income than Sonic Youth fans.

you lost me there, though i'd be interested to hear you expound on your theory of why you think that is. i've never seen a flaming lips show, but i've been to around 20 ween shows. i'd hardly call the crowd a bunch of rich kids. i think ween fans are some of the most rabid around, and i think the reason they sell out more shows has more to do with the fact that their shows are two to three hours long and they mix up their setlists, so it's very easy to become obsessed with what songs they're going to play. you feel like if you miss one of their shows you're missing something important because they might bust out a prince song or something and you want to be there for that moment. sonic youth sticks to the traditional tour formula of new songs to support the new album, one or two oldies during the show and then an encore of a crowd pleaser. it's a formula that works, but not that you necessarily want to follow them from city to city and see them multiple times in a short time period. that's my theory on why they sell out more than sonic youth. i can't contribute in any meaningful way on the flaming lips, though i do look forward to seeing them and finding out why they sell out a lot of shows.
Old 06.24.2006, 12:13 AM   #17
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
I've seen Ween about 5 or 6 times. One time I danced on a tabletop near the back of the room at the 40 watt during the Manic Depression/Hot For Teacher encore. As frantic & as drunk as I was, I suppose I should be thankful that I didn't topple over & break my neck.

I agree with you that their best is God Ween Satan, by the way.
Pure Guava, Country Greats, Chocolate and Cheese & The Pod are okay too.

Um...I thought I was fairly self-explanatory since (as far as I know...I could be horribly wrong) Ween & The Flaming Lips have each charted an album higher than EJST&NS & have sold more than Dirty, which is SY's best-selling effort. I didnt' realize my post would require an explanation since I already explained myself within the post.

Nowadays, Ween have made themselves into an irrelevant novelty act. They have a loyal following from all the years they worked hard & toured extensively, but something tells me that this tour might just be their last gasp before it's time to start playing county fairs. Recently, they played the outdoor pavillion amphitheater here in Charlottesville to a bunch of rednecks that go to whatever show is playing regardless of who it is. The Flaming Lips just suck really bad. Transmissions from the Satellite Heart has some okay tunes, but on the whole, that band farts out some of the most hackneyed crap around by any standard. The thought of paying money to look at & hear Wayne Coyne makes me queasy. My friend Andrew loves them though.

& my personal observations aside, the synergy caused when you pool 3 or more "hip" bands together usually makes for a quick sellout; the Syracuse venue is a larger one, so only time will tell.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2006, 12:48 AM   #18
mushmanski57@hotmail.com
stalker

mushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's assesmushmanski57@hotmail.com kicks all y'all's asses
[quote=atari 2600] The Flaming Lips just suck really bad.[quote]

NO FREAKIN WAY.
mushmanski57@hotmail.com is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2006, 09:24 AM   #19
GrumpyOldMan
empty page

GrumpyOldMan has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Well I just bought tickets at exactly 10:00 and I am very pleased about my seats:

2 tickets
Track C
Row 8
Seats 15-16

This makes up for missing out on CBGB's.
GrumpyOldMan is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2006, 11:22 AM   #20
thewall91
children of satan

atari
Quote:
Um...I thought I was fairly self-explanatory

not as to their fans having more disposable income. i don't think record sales is a fair indicator of disposable income.

and i actually think ween have become less of a novelty act over the years. white pepper is a GREAT album and the closest you can get to a novelty song on that album is stroker ace. quebec is also a solid album that could do without fancy pants, but most of the other songs on the album are three to four minutes.

anyway, i didn't mean to go off on the greatness of ween, i really just wondered where your generalization about the audience came from. this is one of the rare occasions i agree with assblaster as far as the audience being a bunch of potheads, but they are a determined group of potheads that do buy the tickets the day they go on sale. unfortunately since phish covered roses are free, you will see a few stinky hippies on the day of the show walking around with one finger up in the air needing "a miracle." but the ween forum is an even crazier community. their manager posts presales and secret shows all the time, and people have met and give each other rides halfway across the country to see ween. people share rides and hotel rooms with strangers. i think the drugs fuel the cult following much more than disposable income.

anyway, i got my tickets through the presale, row 10. i read somewhere that it actually goes backwards though, and row 1 is at the back of the section and row 50 is the front row. don't know if that's true or not. would be much cooler to be 10th row.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth