Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Do Sonic Youth Have A Show In China?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.24.2007, 08:42 AM   #81
saisai
empty page

saisai has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by pantophobia
some pics from the beijing gig:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/saisaiilli/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/hermy/

hope to catch a set list at somepoint

also just added, a amazing raucous rendition of Candle from Beijing

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w61eFI3xPxc

that's pretty fast... i should have got a better camera ages ago. those photos are the only ones that are 'seeable'. it's a shame. i just uploaded 3 more videos to my youtube anyway.
saisai is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.24.2007, 08:52 PM   #82
wuhan_china
empty page

wuhan_china has much to be proud ofwuhan_china has much to be proud ofwuhan_china has much to be proud ofwuhan_china has much to be proud ofwuhan_china has much to be proud ofwuhan_china has much to be proud ofwuhan_china has much to be proud ofwuhan_china has much to be proud ofwuhan_china has much to be proud ofwuhan_china has much to be proud of
The band put up an excellent show. What I thought was that most of the people in the crowd were just casual listeners or they just came to see the band because they heard the name SY somewhere(not that it's bad). People were crazy and were just shouting "TEENAGE RIOT!!".

The opening band cancelled for some unknown reasons and we had to wait for an hour and a half for SY to come on the stage.

I personally was really happy to see Mark Ibold on the stage. I had never seen Pavement live and atleast to see someone from the band on the stage was truly something! Most of the people(about 98%, I'd say) didnt seem to know who Mark or Pavement was. I guess, some people are better off listening to Coldplay.

Thanks SY for putting up a great show!!! 12 hours of train ride to go to Bejing and 2 sleepless nights....totally worth it!!!!!
wuhan_china is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.25.2007, 02:32 AM   #83
saisai
empty page

saisai has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
it was at least 3 hours i think. and it was a girl standing next to me started rouring 'hurry up!!!'.

the suppporting band 's cancelled was probably because they didn't have that 'papers' or something. it's real big SHAME. Carsick cars, they are one of the best local bands.

i think most people of course know well of SY's songs, or else they wouldn't spend such money on it (it's not cheap really). and it WAS kind of big stadium rock n roll, SY said that themselves, right... the only thing is they knew nothing about the old songs. only a few people got really excited when kim sang "i'll take off your dress! I'll shake off your flesh!" ... at least i was the only one who got over-exicted when they played that song at the end! huge surprise!
saisai is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2007, 01:32 AM   #84
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Questions Never Asked
For Foreigners in China, Daily Life Is Free
Of Government Intrusion -- Until It Isn't
April 27, 2007

People often ask me how much I feel the authoritarian arm of the government living in China. The answer is never -- until I do. If that sounds circular or nonsensical, then I'm being clear.
Most foreigners living in China have little sense of government intrusion in their daily lives. You can walk into a lot of hip bars or restaurants filled with beautiful people, great music and pricey drinks and never think for a second about living in an authoritarian nation.
In fact, it's entirely possible to live here for years with virtually no interaction with the state apparatus, wandering a wide avenue within which you can do essentially whatever you please. But if you try to exit that avenue, you get pushed back hard -- and then you either retreat quickly to the center of the road or face some consequences. For foreigners, this could mean a loss of opportunity or business or, at the very worst, being kicked out of the country. For a Chinese national, it could be far worse.

Expats living here with open eyes and ears understand this reality, even if they don't all quite acknowledge it. Every once in a while, something happens that makes you stop and remember where you are and what the system is really like. What drives home the reality is that few people ever want to talk about these incidents, at least publicly or for attribution. No one wants to have his or her name associated with a complaint. Everyone feels they have something to lose and nothing to gain. And so things move along, until the next little flare-up occurs and the whole thing repeats itself.
Earlier this week, the influential New York art rock band Sonic Youth played in Beijing. Carsick Cars, a young Chinese group with a growing reputation, was scheduled to open. After performing their soundcheck, someone from the government showed up to tell the band they couldn't perform.
That may sound like a minor incident, but it -- and what didn't happen afterwards -- goes to the heart of life in modern China. The official reason for the cancellation was that the band hadn't applied for a permit, but that's a technicality that is generally ignored. Carsick Cars is apolitical, and was recently featured in the state-run China Daily newspaper. So what was the real issue? There's a lot of speculation, but it's impossible to be sure -- and no one really wants anyone else to try to find out, for fear that inquiries could get someone in trouble without really solving anything.
The angriest people in the venue may have been Alex Schapiro, a 22-year-old Baltimore native who has been in Beijing a little over a year, and her Chinese boyfriend. They were the only ones to demand a refund, which they eventually got. "Once we realized the band was banned from playing, we tried to create a chant to get people angry or just to react in some way, but it didn't work," she says. "Then I knew I couldn't stay. I realize the action was completely unrealistic in terms of affecting change, but a lot of foreigners come here and fall into passivity and forget what they know about how you are supposed to act and react to things."
I think Ms. Schapiro is largely right -- but also a bit naïve. Many expats living here may become passive, but many have also concluded that Chinese people have a better sense of how to work within this opaque system. A fairly rational cost-benefit analysis may explain why many people were angry during and after the show, but the next day no one with a stake wanted to talk.
After all, what's the upside? There's nothing in it for the band members, all 21- and 22-year-old college students with bright futures, unless they suddenly can't play anywhere. There's nothing in it for the promoter, who wants to keep promoting. There's nothing in it for the friend of the band who helped spread word of this banning. He has his own interests to consider. If Sonic Youth ever want to return to China they'll have to apply for a visa like everyone else. You can't blame anyone for protecting their own interests, but the end result -- as I've seen quite a few times -- is things get swept under the rug.
A few weeks ago, a neighbor told me about friends of theirs facing a horrible dilemma. The expat family was in danger of losing their house in a compound. They had purchased it four years ago, paying cash, but now the person who sold it to them wanted it back. Because the compound was constructed illegally, there are no titles or deeds.
To make a very long, confusing story short and simple, after multiple court cases stretching over more than 30 months, a judge ruled that because the compound is illegal, the sales contract (drawn up by an experienced lawyer) was worthless and they had to give the house back. Whether the approximately $200,000 would be refunded had to be decided in a separate court case. The couple had a strong suspicion that if they left the house -- which they were ordered to do -- they would never see a cent.
The couple provided me with outlines, timelines and documentation, but then the husband said his lawyer advised them not to have their names published. It was just too risky. A Chinese native who'd moved abroad years ago, he accepted that whatever outcome he achieved would be largely based on his lawyer's level of connections, rather than on legal principles or "fairness." His wife, who isn't from China, was agitated. "People think things have changed in China," she says. "But they really haven't."
"Actually, they have changed," her husband insists. "It is much better than when I was young. But there is a long way to go."
The family remained in the house well past their eviction date, though they worried about being harassed, having already felt threatened once when their former landlord came to the house with several men and demanded they leave. Recently they were shocked to actually win a case in the execution court, the only place that can ensure that verdicts from other courts are carried out. The ex-landlord agreed to return the money within five days and they promised to leave in two weeks. The family is looking for a house to rent, but are still nervous about whether the landlord will honor the latest agreement.
I discussed the case with another friend who lives in their compound. He confirmed the basic outline, and then wanted to know why I was interested. "You're not going to write about this, are you?" he asked, concern in his voice. "If you do, don't mention the compound's name."
Share your thoughts about this column or any other aspect of expat life with Alan and your fellow readers in an online discussion.3
Write to me and I'll post selected comments in a future column. Please let me know if you want to share your thoughts but don't want your letter published. Below are some edited responses to my previous Expat Life column, on trouble off the beaten path4.

http://online.wsj.com/article/SB117743523745280690.html
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2007, 08:20 AM   #85
msittig
empty page

msittig is a splendid one to beholdmsittig is a splendid one to beholdmsittig is a splendid one to beholdmsittig is a splendid one to beholdmsittig is a splendid one to beholdmsittig is a splendid one to beholdmsittig is a splendid one to behold
Flickr photos:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/lostseo...7600121548502/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/magnovich/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/wenie/

More links here:

http://www.shanghaiist.com/archives/..._youth_sha.php
Old 04.27.2007, 09:16 AM   #86
qprogeny79
stalker

qprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's assesqprogeny79 kicks all y'all's asses
大家好, 中国人. 我是美国人, 但是我会说中文. 不过, 我说得马马虎虎. 我希望你们的音乐会好玩极了.
qprogeny79 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.28.2007, 01:01 AM   #87
lisayoung
little trouble girl

lisayoung has much to be proud oflisayoung has much to be proud oflisayoung has much to be proud oflisayoung has much to be proud oflisayoung has much to be proud oflisayoung has much to be proud oflisayoung has much to be proud oflisayoung has much to be proud of
i missed the show,somehow.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth