Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Steve on his favorite Song from Bleach and more
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.27.2021, 08:13 AM   #1
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
https://omny.fm/shows/remembering-ku...-f#description
Moshe is online now   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.27.2021, 11:30 AM   #2
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moshe
hah! that was a fun listen. thanks moshe!

it was great (but not a surprise to me) to hear of steve's appreciation for john bonham.

and now i want to listen to his radio show. poked about the radio station website earlier a little bit...
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.29.2021, 09:11 AM   #3
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
'Ep 2 - Steve Shelley, Drummer of Sonic Youth On His Favourite Song From Bleach'

'I don't even remember what songs are on Bleach' - Steve Shelley, Drummer of Sonik Yoof...
Diesel is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2021, 12:29 AM   #4
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
So which is YOUR favorite song from Bleach, you sons (and daughters) of guns? Mine... Even though "About A Girl" is just perfect, the unimpeachable classic, I'm gonna vote for "School". No recess!

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

The Soup Nazi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2021, 09:59 PM   #5
appleo
empty page

appleo kicks all y'all's assesappleo kicks all y'all's assesappleo kicks all y'all's assesappleo kicks all y'all's assesappleo kicks all y'all's assesappleo kicks all y'all's assesappleo kicks all y'all's assesappleo kicks all y'all's assesappleo kicks all y'all's assesappleo kicks all y'all's assesappleo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Soup Nazi
So which is YOUR favorite song from Bleach, you sons (and daughters) of guns? Mine... Even though "About A Girl" is just perfect, the unimpeachable classic, I'm gonna vote for "School". No recess!

On the record itself, I don't necessarily have one overarching favorite song.
I had a band that used to play "School" which was great fun, and just came out right without too much effort.
"About a Girl" of course is a classic, always reminded me of the Smithereens.
"Blew" has this very cool organic groove to it (I think Chad Channing never got enough credit for having such great feel).
Of course "Paper Cuts" aims to be heavier than Metallica AND the Melvins.
And "Negative Creep" is one of the most scorching, they totally channel their inner Mötörhead!
I think the band may hit their stride best on "Scoff", "Swap Meet", and "Mr. Moustache" - these three just so totally rock, and it really locks in for me.

So I really am loathe to pick one favorite from the record, they're all good for different reasons.

But when I saw them live at Maxwell's in April 1990, I distinctly recall that while they were good, the song they really gelled on and brought ME to nirvana with, was "Scoff" (and "Been a Son" was similarly great). That was the peak.

So I'm going to pick "Scoff" based on that experience.

Hope this helps! :-D

PS Steve's answer about Bleach was hilarious, BTW
appleo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 09.30.2021, 09:59 PM   #6
appleo
empty page

appleo kicks all y'all's assesappleo kicks all y'all's assesappleo kicks all y'all's assesappleo kicks all y'all's assesappleo kicks all y'all's assesappleo kicks all y'all's assesappleo kicks all y'all's assesappleo kicks all y'all's assesappleo kicks all y'all's assesappleo kicks all y'all's assesappleo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:

I had a band that used to play "School" which was great fun, and just came out right without too much effort.
"Blew" has this very cool organic groove to it (I think Chad Channing never got enough credit for having such great feel).
And "Negative Creep" is one of the most scorching, they totally channel their inner Mötörhead!
I think the band may hit their stride best on "Scoff", "Swap Meet", and "Mr. Moustache" - these three just so totally rock, and it really locks in for me.

So I really am loathe to pick one favorite from the record, they're all good for different reasons.

But when I saw them live at Maxwell's in April 1990, I distinctly recall that while they were good, the song they really gelled on and brought ME to nirvana with, was "Scoff" (and "Been a Son" was similarly great). That was the peak.

Old 09.30.2021, 09:59 PM   #7
appleo
empty page

Quote:

Old 09.30.2021, 09:59 PM   #8
appleo
empty page

Quote:

Old 09.30.2021, 10:04 PM   #9
appleo
empty page

Apologies for the dupes! The site was not responding and finally when it loaded I was horrified to see multiple copies... and now it won't let me delete them. DOH!
Old 09.30.2021, 10:04 PM   #10
appleo
empty page

Apologies for the dupes! The site was not responding and finally when it loaded I was horrified to see multiple copies... and now it won't let me delete them. DOH!
Old 10.01.2021, 07:51 AM   #11
Diesel
the destroyed room

Diesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's assesDiesel kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by appleo

In the end he chose Sliver, because that's the one with the Mudhoney drummer on it...
Old 10.01.2021, 07:55 AM   #12
Diesel
the destroyed room

Quote:

There was a thread on this subject here somewhere but I'll be foked if I can be arsed to navigate this broke-arse forum to find it.

School, Sifting, Negative Creep, Downer. Innit
Old 10.01.2021, 09:04 AM   #13
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

The Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's assesThe Soup Nazi kicks all y'all's asses
Duplicates and all, glad to have started a conversation after all this time.

GADJI BERI BIMBA GLANDRIDI LAULI LONNI CADORI GADJAM A BIM BERI GLASSALA GLANDRIDI E GLASSALA TUFFM I ZIMBRA

Old 10.01.2021, 02:48 PM   #14
appleo
empty page

I love "Sliver", but it's not from "Bleach", not even close. "Sliver" was recorded a year after and was released as the b-side to "Dive".

PS I remember hearing "Dive" on the PA at Maxwell's and thinking they kinda sold out, it sounded like Metallica! I like the song now, but back in '90 the lines were drawn. And even though Metallica weren't exactly hair metal, they were on the side of the room with the people who took guitar lessons and recorded in 48 track studios and their records sounded "produced". LoL.
Old 10.01.2021, 02:48 PM   #15
appleo
empty page

I love "Sliver", but it's not from "Bleach", not even close. "Sliver" was recorded a year after and was released as the b-side to "Dive".

PS I remember hearing "Dive" on the PA at Maxwell's and thinking they kinda sold out, it sounded like Metallica! I like the song now, but back in '90 the lines were drawn. And even though Metallica weren't exactly hair metal, they were on the side of the room with the people who took guitar lessons and recorded in 48 track studios and their records sounded "produced". LoL.
Old 10.02.2021, 10:26 AM   #16
Diesel
the destroyed room

Quote:
Originally Posted by appleo

Dood, on Sliver: that's what my ellipsis was hinting at - Mr Shelley is up in the clouds.

Listening to Sifting and Negative Creep pre-night out and they foken rule all. Cońo !
Old 10.02.2021, 07:30 PM   #17
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
Negative Creep
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.20.2021, 05:48 AM   #18
The Soup Nazi
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SonikJesus
Negative Creep

"I had written a song, 'Nirvana,' about my big love for Nirvana's first album, Bleach, specifically for the song 'Negative Creep,' which had inspired me so much.

Kurt had later written her a note that said '…your song 'Nirvana' was totally flattering when I first heard it. I really like your new album, especially 'My Sister.''"

Juliana Hatfield

Old 11.21.2021, 04:49 AM   #19
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Sifting, Big Cheese, Paper Cuts. Maybe I'll listen to Bleach today
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.21.2021, 04:49 AM   #20
Toilet & Bowels
invito al cielo

Toilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's assesToilet & Bowels kicks all y'all's asses
Sifting, Big Cheese, Paper Cuts. Maybe I'll listen to Bleach today
Toilet & Bowels is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth