Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page is it me or most people never post about sy's lyrics?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02.05.2010, 07:12 PM   #41
mysonichaircut
children of satan

mysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's assesmysonichaircut kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by akprodr

Something (only thing?) they share with Yes. There is a sense of meaning behind the nonsense.

And I guess that's why I don't like RR or Eternal. Seem a little more literal than past stuff.

agree. this kind of "meaning" is allowed in music. :-)
mysonichaircut is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.06.2010, 03:08 PM   #42
cagedbird
the destroyed room

cagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's assescagedbird kicks all y'all's asses
SY lyrics are also an expression of the place where they are: USA, NYC, the planet's other places. Imagination plays a big part but I agree with the novelsit D.H. Lawrence when he says there is a spirit of a place. It's material the spirit. But it's there.
cagedbird is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 02.06.2010, 05:05 PM   #43
chicka
expwy. to yr skull

chicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asseschicka kicks all y'all's asses
"I am airless a vacuum child" my favorite lyric from Mote. The whole song is lyrically great imo.
Old 02.06.2010, 05:21 PM   #44
akprodr
the end of the ugly

akprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's asses
^^ Lee is the key
Old 02.10.2010, 12:46 PM   #45
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
My favorite song ever: This is what i make out of this song. I have trouble explaining the images and thoughts it brings to mind. I don't know what his intentions were in writing this, but I see a theme of Harmony and hope. I think it's about the end of the world, and a new begining. A new world that accepts everyone for who they are. It refrences the afterlife and America's battle over one prejudice after another. I think he is telling us to just accept each other, because time is running out. Sorry my explanations are not the best, it's hard to describe what I hear in anty other words but his.

PAPER CUP EXIT

SKIMMING THE TOPS OF TALL TREES
THRU THE CLEAR LIGHT OF FREE SPEECH
A SUDDEN MEMORY DIS-EASE (occurance of an uncomfortable memory maybe americas past racial and other prejudice issues)
CLAIMS THE AIR ALL AROUND ME

I‘LL GET LOST IN THE SLIPSTREAM
MAYBE RELIVE THE SAME DREAM
OF COMING IN FROM THE COLD
LOSING HALF OF MY SOUL ( it never stops people will always hate others that are different for some reason or another)

MEMORY DISEASE ACROSS UNITED STATES ( people easily forget the past and do not learn from past mistakes)
THAT I HAD TOLD THE TRUTH
FEEL SO HIGH—ARCHITECTURAL
I LOOK TO THE SKIES & SEE OUR BODIES

THEY WERE RISING UP
OUT OF THE PAPER CUP (separation from our physical ties and the escape of our spiritual body our body is simply a container for the soul)
A SEA CHANGE DUE (time to start getting along ,we are the sea)
IDOLS IN FESCUE

TOUCH DOWN ON THE NEW MASON-DIXON LINE (cultural division of the north and south, the line will move)
THE MAP IS RIPPED AND TORN (we've lost our way and direction)
TILTED FRAME WITH ALL HOPE GONE
I DON’T MIND IF YOU SING A DIFFENENT SONG (don't care if your different than me)

JUST AS LONG AS YOU SING ALONG ( as long as you are harmoniuos and get along)

IT’S LATER THAN IT SEEMS (wake up time is slipping away)
TIME EVERYONE CAME CLEAN
IT’S WHAT YOU DIDN’T SAY…
DON'T WANT TO BE A SLAVE

SKIMMING THE TOPS OF TALL TREES
THRU THE CLEAR LIGHT OF FREE SPEECH
COMIN IN FOR A LANDING
I GOT A SOUL UNDERSTANDING (he has a revalation of the soul)

The rest is missing from the archives here is what I can make out
IT ALL COMES DOWN TO A WORD
IT'S JUST LIKE NOTHIN I HEARD
OVER THE RAINBOW IN TIME
WILL BE ONE HELL OF A CLIMB (getting over our prejudices of one another will be a difficult journey and comes down to the "love" of all humanity)
HIGH LIGHTS BRIGHT (remember light brights those were fun)
LIFE SWEET PIE
CLEAR SKY, SKY
REMENICANT OF HONEY IN YOUR EYE
UNWIND (not sure what he says here)
I DON'T MIND IF YOU SING A DIFFERENT SONG
IT'S LATER THAN IT SEEMS
YOUR EARS ARE LISTENING (most definitly a bible reference "He who has an ear, let him hear what the Spirit says to the churches." Revelations)
IT'S WHAT YOU DID'NT SAY
DON'T WANT TO BE A SLAVE
IT'S WHAT YOU DID'NT SAY (secrets or hidden prejudice)
NOTHIN TO GIVE AWAY ( no secrets to hide)

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth