Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Dan Graham: Rock My Religion
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.14.2007, 10:55 PM   #1
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
check it:

http://www.eai.org/eai/tape.jsp?itemID=2421

SY used a still from this for art inside the NYC G&F album, and the site says it features original SY and Branca music as well, though it does not say if it is music exclusive to the movie or available elsewhere. very interesting topic.

i would really like to see this, but like many art/artist videos, they sell/rent for superinflated prices. why can't they be like getting any other movie?

i think i remember reading that dan was either thurston's roomate or T&K's neighbor or something back in the day, or maybe introduced them or something...

anybody seen this?
hirsute_biped is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2009, 12:44 AM   #2
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
Dan Graham (b. 1942)
Rock My Religion (1982-84)
1982-84, 55:27 min, b&w and color, sound

Rock My Religion is a provocative thesis on the relation between religion and rock music in contemporary culture. Graham formulates a history that begins with the Shakers, an early religious community who practiced self-denial and ecstatic trance dances. With the "reeling and rocking" of religious revivals as his point of departure, Graham analyzes the emergence of rock music as religion with the teenage consumer in the isolated suburban milieu of the 1950s, locating rock's sexual and ideological context in post-World War II America. The music and philosophies of Patti Smith, who made explicit the trope that rock is religion, are his focus. This complex collage of text, film footage and performance forms a compelling theoretical essay on the ideological codes and historical contexts that inform the cultural phenomenon of rock `n' roll music.

Original Music: Glenn Branca, Sonic Youth. Sound: Ian Murray, Wharton Tiers. Narrators: Johanna Cypis, Dan Graham. Editors: Matt Danowski, Derek Graham, Ian Murray, Tony Oursler. Produced by Dan Graham and the Moderna Museet.

http://www.ubu.com/film/graham_rock.html
blunderbuss is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.15.2009, 12:50 AM   #3
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

blunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's assesblunderbuss kicks all y'all's asses
Dan Graham (b. 1942)
Performer/Audience/Mirror (1975)

1975, 22:52 min, b&w, sound Recorded at Video Free America in San Francisco, this work is a phenomenological inquiry into the audience/performer relationship and the notion of subjectivity/objectivity. Graham stands in front of a mirrored wall facing a seated audience; he describes the audience's movements and what they signify. He then turns and describes himself and the audience in the mirror. Graham writes: "Through the use of the mirror the audience is able to instantaneously perceive itself as a public mass (as a unity), offsetting its definition by the performer ('s discourse). The audience sees itself reflected by the mirror instantly while the performer's comments are slightly delayed. First, a person in the audience sees himself 'objectively' ('subjectively') perceived by himself, next he hears himself described 'objectively' ('subjectively') in terms of the performer's perception."

http://www.ubu.com/film/graham_performer.html
Old 05.15.2009, 12:50 AM   #4
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

Good Dan Graham article in June 2009 issue of The Wire, BTW
Old 05.15.2009, 03:58 PM   #5
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
Yay... Dan is the man. I recently bought the catalogue for his LA retrospective Beyond, and it's pretty fantastic. I would love to see the exhibition but it ends on the 25th of this month... and the chances of me getting over to LA before then are pretty slim.

Look here... scroll down

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2009, 08:00 AM   #6
barnaclelapse
the destroyed room

barnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's assesbarnaclelapse kicks all y'all's asses
A friend of mine saw that and really enjoyed it.

Personally, I'd love to go, too, but I can't imagine I'll be getting from Virginia to Los Angeles anytime soon.
barnaclelapse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2009, 02:37 PM   #7
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

hirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asseshirsute_biped kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hirsute_biped
check it:

http://www.eai.org/eai/tape.jsp?itemID=2421

SY used a still from this for art inside the NYC G&F album, and the site says it features original SY and Branca music as well, though it does not say if it is music exclusive to the movie or available elsewhere. very interesting topic.

i would really like to see this, but like many art/artist videos, they sell/rent for superinflated prices. why can't they be like getting any other movie?

i think i remember reading that dan was either thurston's roomate or T&K's neighbor or something back in the day, or maybe introduced them or something...

anybody seen this?

I've been wanting to see this for a while, I'm driving down to LA today to see the exhibit. Dan G. was Kim's friend/art mentor/neighbor/maybe even landlord early on in NY. Kim's earliest involvment w/ music in NY was in CMK, a "band" put together by Dan G. for some performance/installation or some thing. All info on this from "Goodbye 20th Century".
Old 05.19.2009, 01:08 AM   #8
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
Dan Graham: Beyond

addthis_pub = 'whitneykat';addthis_pub = 'whitneykat';

Opens June 25, 2009

Dan Graham has been a central figure in contemporary art since the 1960s. This exhibition, Graham’s first American retrospective, traces the evolution of his art from his early conceptual projects and performances, to his films and videos, architectural projects and pavilions, and sculptures as well as his collaborations with musicians and rock bands such as Sonic Youth and Japanther.
Dan Graham: Beyond debuts at The Museum of Contemporary Art, Los Angeles (February 15–May 25, 2009). Following its installation at the Whitney this summer, it will travel to the Walker Art Center, Minneapolis.
Summer Guide: Dan Graham Gets a Whitney Retro, The Village Voice, May 12, 2009
Sonic Youth's Thurston Moore and artist Dan Graham in conversation, Time Out New York, May 7, 2009
Dan Graham: An art-world rebel with a cause, Flavorpill, April 29, 2009
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.12.2009, 03:24 PM   #9
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

Dan Graham in conversation with Anna Lovatt, Tuesday 7 July 2009

The celebrated artist Dan Graham in conversation with Anna Lovatt, Lecturer in Art History, University of Nottingham and Brian Hatton, Lecturer at the Architectural Association. The event investigated the linguistic turn in 1960s art, with special reference to the drawings of Robert Smithson. The evening was co-hosted by the ICA and Middlesbrough Institute of Modern Art, on the occasion of mima's purchase of two Smithson drawings, exhibited in Poor. Old. Tired. Horse.

http://www.ica.org.uk/Dan%20Graham%2...tion+21233.twl
Old 01.26.2010, 02:15 PM   #10
Sir Paul Skinback obe
empty page

Sir Paul Skinback obe kicks all y'all's assesSir Paul Skinback obe kicks all y'all's assesSir Paul Skinback obe kicks all y'all's assesSir Paul Skinback obe kicks all y'all's assesSir Paul Skinback obe kicks all y'all's assesSir Paul Skinback obe kicks all y'all's assesSir Paul Skinback obe kicks all y'all's assesSir Paul Skinback obe kicks all y'all's assesSir Paul Skinback obe kicks all y'all's assesSir Paul Skinback obe kicks all y'all's assesSir Paul Skinback obe kicks all y'all's asses
Rock My Religion being screened in London in a couple of weeks. Got an email this morning...

Dan Graham’s Rock My Religion
(An Expanded Screening)

Sun, 7 Feb 2010, 4.30pm

Auto Italia South East
1 Glengall Road
London
SE15 6NJ

http://www.autoitaliasoutheast.org/rockmyreligion.html

Sir Paul Skinback obe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 01.26.2010, 02:27 PM   #11
blunderbuss
invito al cielo

Thanks - I'll have to try to get to that.
Old 01.31.2010, 02:55 AM   #12
Assembly
empty page

Assembly kicks all y'all's assesAssembly kicks all y'all's assesAssembly kicks all y'all's assesAssembly kicks all y'all's assesAssembly kicks all y'all's assesAssembly kicks all y'all's assesAssembly kicks all y'all's assesAssembly kicks all y'all's assesAssembly kicks all y'all's assesAssembly kicks all y'all's assesAssembly kicks all y'all's asses
Was this showing at the Whitney in 2009? I think I saw it there...
Assembly is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 03.01.2010, 05:01 PM   #13
hirsute_biped
the end of the ugly

i just moved and found a video store that has this available for rent, i might rent a try to burn a copy. (i've never tried to make a DVD-R before, we'll see how it goes)

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth