Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonic Sounds
Reload this Page I'm interested in Blur. Anyone wanna soot the shit about them?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.16.2019, 03:31 PM   #101
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Here comes trouble.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2019, 07:26 PM   #102
choc e-Claire
expwy. to yr skull

choc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asseschoc e-Claire kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genteel Death
I'm not being a dick, but what's your narrative when you compare the two records? 13 came out in 1999 and Kid A in 2000. Both records are by white as fuck British pop bands. Both bands are arty in their own way. One of them hugely successful throughout the world, even amongst non-whites, one could say. The other mainly a parochial concern, but still quite popular with European audiences. Just curious.

1999 and 2000 are literally just a year apart.
Both bands were originally hugely different in style just two albums before - Radiohead as conventional alt-rock (The Bends) and Blur as tongue-in-cheek pop (The Great Escape).
Both made an unusual, but well-received transitional record - OK Computer vs Blur's self-titled.
Both feature plenty of electronica, something largely unexpected.
Both may have alienated an old fanbase, but attracted a new one that greatly prefers this (see Severian's dismissal of Parklife*).

*No offense intended; just using you as an example.
Making myself up as I go along. Check out my music-themed blog, 79:57.
choc e-Claire is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.16.2019, 09:11 PM   #103
Kuhb
children of satan

Kuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by choc e-Claire
1999 and 2000 are literally just a year apart.
Both bands were originally hugely different in style just two albums before - Radiohead as conventional alt-rock (The Bends) and Blur as tongue-in-cheek pop (The Great Escape).
Both made an unusual, but well-received transitional record - OK Computer vs Blur's self-titled.
Both feature plenty of electronica, something largely unexpected.
Both may have alienated an old fanbase, but attracted a new one that greatly prefers this (see Severian's dismissal of Parklife*).

*No offense intended; just using you as an example.

I mentioned in an earlier comment that both Kid A and 13, as well as a handful of other albums from a 2-3 year span, have similar themes of disintegration, alienation, anxiety in the face of increased individualism, at the same time a loss of identity in an increasingly mechanised and computerised world, a general kicking against Fukuyama's 'end of history', even a sense of a lost utopian era as conceived by Derrida and Mark Fisher. That's why some have suggested that Kid A captures the zeitgeist of the post 9/11 world, even though it came out beforehand... this stuff was in the air well beforehand.
Kuhb is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2019, 12:31 PM   #104
Peterpuff
stalker

Peterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's assesPeterpuff kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Both records are by white as fuck British pop bands. Both bands are arty in their own way.

Would I be uncouth to bring up Gomez in this thread and get some opinions? Kinda curious to this forum's thoughts on them, especially in the comparison contexts in this discussion, ha. I always thought Bring it On was an outstanding debut.
Peterpuff is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2019, 05:39 PM   #105
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
What about Madonna then?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2019, 06:14 PM   #106
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
What about Madonna then?

What...

What about Madonna?
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2019, 06:18 PM   #107
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhb
I mentioned in an earlier comment that both Kid A and 13, as well as a handful of other albums from a 2-3 year span, have similar themes of disintegration, alienation, anxiety in the face of increased individualism, at the same time a loss of identity in an increasingly mechanised and computerised world, a general kicking against Fukuyama's 'end of history', even a sense of a lost utopian era as conceived by Derrida and Mark Fisher. That's why some have suggested that Kid A captures the zeitgeist of the post 9/11 world, even though it came out beforehand... this stuff was in the air well beforehand.

I think Kid A and 13 are similar only in that they’re hard-left pivots by established British rock bands. Both records kind of challenge you to like them, and don’t make it easy on people looking for more of what the bands had done before.

I do think 13 is up there with the Kid As of the world.

Paranoiac meditations on electronic era tensions, rendered in song. But what Kid A owed to Aphex Twin, Autechre and Brian Eno, 13 owes to DJ Shadow, Iggy Pop and Spiritualized. (Shrug)
Old 05.17.2019, 08:24 PM   #108
Kuhb
children of satan

Kuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's assesKuhb kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
I think Kid A and 13 are similar only in that they’re hard-left pivots by established British rock bands. Both records kind of challenge you to like them, and don’t make it easy on people looking for more of what the bands had done before.

I do think 13 is up there with the Kid As of the world.

Paranoiac meditations on electronic era tensions, rendered in song. But what Kid A owed to Aphex Twin, Autechre and Brian Eno, 13 owes to DJ Shadow, Iggy Pop and Spiritualized. (Shrug)

They certainly are derivative albums, but I always find it interesting to hear great instrumentalists like Coxon or Greenwood try to deal with non-guitar genres and ideas.
Kuhb is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.17.2019, 10:26 PM   #109
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuhb
They certainly are derivative albums, but I always find it interesting to hear great instrumentalists like Coxon or Greenwood try to deal with non-guitar genres and ideas.

I wasn’t really pointing out that they’re derivative. I was more contrasting the influences behind Kid A and 13, respectively.

I don’t know that I’d use derivative as a main descriptor for either, actually. Enough of both bands personalities shine through to make the records greater than the sum of their influences.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth