Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page The Eternal will be 10 years old soon.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.11.2019, 06:31 PM   #21
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenlight
is my English that bad? meaning that this would be one of weakest albums in their discography, yet it was one of the best selling albums since EJTNS...how ironic... does that make any sense, coz now I am not sure now

Gotcha.

Sorry for some reason I thought you were on the “Eternal was a great way to end it!” side of things.

Yes. Agree. Probably my mistake.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.11.2019, 06:33 PM   #22
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SonicSleuth
Isn't it ironic that the lyrics to AM's song are not examples of irony, but rather, misfortune? Irony is if a person is late to receiving an award for punctuality, or even a no-smoking sign in a smoke shop. Was always annoyed by this... but of course, there are bigger concerns in life.

Not really ironic, no.

Well... kinda. It’s kinda ironic that the song called ironic that strives to give examples of irony doesn’t give any. But I think another word is better: dumb.

It’s dumb that she fails to name an instance of actual irony.

(Though 10,000 spoons when you need a knife is kind of ironic... *thinkyface*)
Old 04.11.2019, 10:23 PM   #23
SonicSleuth
little trouble girl

SonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's assesSonicSleuth kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Not really ironic, no.

Well... kinda. It’s kinda ironic that the song called ironic that strives to give examples of irony doesn’t give any. But I think another word is better: dumb.

It’s dumb that she fails to name an instance of actual irony.

(Though 10,000 spoons when you need a knife is kind of ironic... *thinkyface*)

If on any other day there's an abundance of knives and no spoons, except for that one particular day when I need a knife and there are none but only 10,000 spoons. That is, the reality is different from or the opposite of what is reasonably expected (not hoped for or needed).

Agree, dumb... unless it was her intent all along to name a song "Ironic" with lyrics that purport to exemplify irony and yet fall just short of it.

Perhaps it's ironic that I've put so much thought into something that I claim to be inconsequential.

The Eternal, not a favorite, but it has grown on me as a later-stage SY.
SonicSleuth is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.12.2019, 12:18 AM   #24
Skuj
invito al cielo

Skuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's assesSkuj kicks all y'all's asses
Is it ironic that The Eternal is SY's best album of the Oughties, and a wonderful way to end their career (albeit unknowingly), but most people at this thread on the official website don't care for it much?
Old 04.12.2019, 07:04 AM   #25
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
If on any other day there's an abundance of knives and no spoons, except for that one particular day when I need a knife and there are none but only 10,000 spoons. That is, the reality is different from or the opposite of what is reasonably expected (not hoped for or needed).

Well, on any other day you’d have a normal silverware place setting, so I don’t know where that leaves us.

Quote:
Agree, dumb... unless it was her intent all along to name a song "Ironic" with lyrics that purport to exemplify irony and yet fall just short of it.

Yes.

Quote:
Perhaps it's ironic that I've put so much thought into something that I claim to be inconsequential.

No, you’re not the only one who’s been bugged by this for years.

The 98-year-old man dying in a plane crash after being afraid of dying in a plan crash is not ironic. It’s precognition. It would be ironic if he feared and avoided flying, then took a trip to Hawaii and was instantly killed by falling on his face outside the airport.

Quote:
The Eternal, not a favorite, but it has grown on me as a later-stage SY.

Not me. I still think of it as meh, with a couple choice cuts. Every other SY album is choice with a couple meh cuts (at most)
Old 04.12.2019, 07:06 AM   #26
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skuj
Is it ironic that The Eternal is SY's best album of the Oughties, and a wonderful way to end their career (albeit unknowingly), but most people at this thread on the official website don't care for it much?

Not at all.

That is merely an indication that it might not be that good of an album.

Imagine if the Beatles ended with Help! *after* making Sgt. Pepper, Revolver, White Album, Abbey Road, etc. That’s what Eternal feels like to me.
Old 04.16.2019, 08:40 AM   #27
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
I like it.
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.16.2019, 10:36 AM   #28
h8kurdt
invito al cielo

h8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's assesh8kurdt kicks all y'all's asses
It honestly isn't that great of an album. Tbh, it just about reaches "good" levels for an album. There are three solid songs after that meh. Those last two albums are generally forgettable in my eyes.

Down with this sort of thing.
h8kurdt is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.17.2019, 01:15 AM   #29
The Gazpacho Gestapo
bad moon rising

The Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's assesThe Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's assesThe Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's assesThe Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's assesThe Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's assesThe Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's assesThe Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's assesThe Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's assesThe Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's assesThe Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's assesThe Gazpacho Gestapo kicks all y'all's asses
^ most sy albums aremt good
The Gazpacho Gestapo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2019, 02:20 AM   #30
musicplatypus
little trouble girl

musicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's assesmusicplatypus kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Isn't it ironic that the lyrics to AM's song are not examples of irony, but rather, misfortune? Irony is if a person is late to receiving an award for punctuality, or even a no-smoking sign in a smoke shop. Was always annoyed by this... but of course, there are bigger concerns in life.

She, supposedly, admitted to this error. She indicated she wrote the song when she was younger, knew they were not really ironic, but decided to do the song as it was written. Not that it really matters or anything.

I penned a comedic joke about the "irony" years ago. It was hilarious; pissed off my AM-loving friend, but they also laughed hysterically! I, to this day, am trying to rememeber what it was!
musicplatypus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.19.2019, 07:04 AM   #31
Severian
invito al cielo

Why are we talking about Alanis?

I don’t think anyone was not making jokes about the fact that none of those things were examples of irony.

(Shrug)

Eternal?
Old 04.19.2019, 10:33 PM   #32
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Why are we talking about Alanis?

because it’s still funny
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.20.2019, 07:49 AM   #33
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
because it’s still funny

Is it?
Old 04.21.2019, 07:37 AM   #34
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Is it?
yeah i really do think (lmfao)

that shit is a milestone in gen-x history. it’s... eternal lolololo

buddy christ agrees

!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.21.2019, 08:32 AM   #35
Severian
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
yeah i really do think (lmfao)

that shit is a milestone in gen-x history. it’s... eternal lolololo

buddy christ agrees

I like Dogma. The movie, not the general ... y’know ... thing.
Old 05.12.2019, 11:31 AM   #36
byronLex
empty page

byronLex has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
77 years old puts him at only 66 when the show started. I thought he was 90...hard life.
byronLex is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.06.2019, 10:34 AM   #37
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Damn...10 fucking years.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2019, 01:32 AM   #38
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoddle245
The Eternal was an adequate way to cap a career that kicked off in earnest with Bad Moon Rising, contained three of the most influential and adventurous trilogies of albums of the past 40 years
quoted for truth

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2019, 01:33 AM   #39
the end of the ugly

guest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's assesguest kicks all y'all's asses
/the eternal is not that bad but also not very good. definitely the most inconsequential record they ever put out but also kind of cute/sweet for that reason?

guest is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.08.2019, 03:05 PM   #40
Genteel Death
invito al cielo

Genteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's assesGenteel Death kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guest
/the eternal is not that bad but also not very good. definitely the most inconsequential record they ever put out but also kind of cute/sweet for that reason?
Definitely not their best record. I like it and can listen to it enjoying a band that showed more enthusiasm for being Sonic Youth than the record that came before it. It's a good thing it came out and then they all fucked off to sort out whatever personal problems they were dealing with at the time. If it's the last we hear from them as band, it's an enjoyable record. They'd never be able to do Confusion is Sex again or whatever. And why should they, anyway?
Genteel Death is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth