Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Washing Machine Album Artwork
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.12.2019, 11:49 AM   #1
maggotbrain
empty page

maggotbrain has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Hey there, I was wondering if anybody knew where the photographs comprising the artwork for Washing Machine were shot - there's pictures of a half-built house, the band members sitting on a porch, stuff like that. Was this maybe in Memphis, where they recorded the album? Or somewhere they may have lived; had they moved out of NYC at this time? I've had this CD for years and always loved and been really curious about the images.
maggotbrain is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.12.2019, 06:57 PM   #2
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
Come to think of it I suppose I've always been kind of curious about that stuff myself. Really beautiful artwork. I remember being out rollerblading (I was 15) with my friend Rorie circa 1999, finding a ten pound note in the street, and promptly deciding to invest it in a Sonic Youth album (much to his chargrin; he would have rather I invested in a shared portion of sweets). To HMV Princes Street we pilgrimaged, and the album was procured. Loved it since the first day I heard it, and have always loved all of its artwork too. There is a very special kind of late 90s visual ambience infused within the aesthetic of the artwork for Washing Machine and A Thousand Leaves as far as I am concerned. (Experimental, Jet Set, Trash and No Star catches a little bit of it as well in my opinion).

Does it absolutely amplify my love of the music? Hard to say. To some extent, aye, but I feel it's an interconnected relationship birthed via some kind of sweet sonic synergy induced by huffing on screaming fields of sonic love
Old 10.14.2019, 02:21 AM   #3
_tunic_
invito al cielo

_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses_tunic_ kicks all y'all's asses
On the Discography Archives page for the Washing Machine album only the origin for the front picture is explained:
Quote:
(in fact, the album's cover photograph was taken at the April 28th Amherst, MA show, indicating that the "Washing Machine" concept was already well under way)
and
Quote:
PACKAGING
The image of 2 fans wearing "Washing Machine" shirts on the cover was taken after the April 28th, 1995 show at Amherst College in Amherst, MA. The shirts were signed by opening act Come. There was actually an MTV news bulletin a short while later calling out for the fans to contact the band to grant them permission to use the photograph for the album cover. The bulk of the album art is presented in polaroid photograph squares -- in fact, it all is! The CD back cover features 6 squares, one of which shows a card w/ a preliminary running order for the album (note that Saucer-Like is still titled "Thumb" at this point), with "Trouble Girl" and "My Arena" listed off to the side under "also"... The proper track list is at the bottom, w/ no listing for track 9. The CD insert folds out to 4 double-sided pages. One side has the album cover, portraits of the individual band members (and Coco, held upside down by Thurston), the house image used for the "Diamond Sea" single cover, and a page w/ 4 pictures, one of which was used for the "Little Trouble Girl" single cover. The reverse of the insert has 2 full-page pictures and 2 pages w/ 4 panels each, all photos except for one credits panel. The disc itself depicts a monogrammed roll of masking tape.

Wikipedia has some more details on the cover photo:
Quote:
The album cover consists of a cropped Polaroid photograph of two unidentified fans taken at a Sonic Youth show in Amherst, Massachusetts in April 1995, during a short tour undertaken while the album was still in production.[11] The fans are depicted wearing T-shirts that were sold as merchandise during that tour; early in 1995, the band was toying with the idea of changing their name to Washing Machine.[11] Visible on the shirt on the left are signatures by Thalia Zedek and Chris Brokaw of the tour's opening band Come.[2] The photo was taken by Gordon, who believed it could be used as the album cover.[9] The band liked the shot, but the record label did not want to use it without permission from the fans.[11] Because the band did not have any way to contact them, their faces had to be cropped out.[9]

according to IMDB the photographer listed in the credits Lance Acord was also Director Of Photography for Lost in Translation, amongst other. I love that movie a lot, as I do this album.

The image I get in my head when I think about this album is Beck in Tilburg as support for Sonic Youth on the European leg of this tour, holding an album (LP) of Pia Beck above his head with two hands like a trophy as he walked on stage with a big smile on his face. I think to remember that he said he got it from Lee, but I don't know anymore

_tunic_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth