Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page rather ripped cover: a change in direction
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 04.25.2006, 05:57 PM   #21
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
I like it. It still doesn't look like most shit out there.

Maybe they're just being hella-ironic. Knowing SY..
Old 04.26.2006, 07:26 AM   #22
toxic johnny
expwy. to yr skull

toxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's assestoxic johnny kicks all y'all's asses
Okay so I've cracked it... it's been driving me crazy for weeks... I knew that I'd seen the Rather Ripped cover somewhere before... or something similar, it wasn't until I saw the b+w version that it clicked. It is definitely the work of Christopher Wool... I have a catalogue of his collaboration with Harmony Korine called 'Pass The Bitch Chicken' from 2001 (one for HaydenAsche) and look what I found...

now look at the image from the Kung Fu site.

Christopher is mostly known for his large text paintings.

here's a short biography...http://www.ubs.com/4/artcollection/t...phy/index.html
So they have kept the grand tradition of working with, or including work of (predominantly East Coast) artists on their album covers alive!
Thank Mary-Christ.

toxic johnny is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2006, 11:50 AM   #23
chabib
Administrator

chabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor dan
i may be mistaken here, but it seems rather ripped is the first one of their major album releases for a while that seems to use artwork that was designed specifically for the record. most of them (apart from maybe ejt&ns and washing machine) have used selections of artworks, or works done by their friends. is this again perhaps symbollic of a commercial slant to the record, or am i delving too deeply into it? at any rate, id like to thank the band for introducing me to the work of gerhard richter and mike kelly...

nope. like i said in the other thread, it's a referential work just like the other recent covers. it's based on a christopher wool painting. i still don't like the cover at all.
chabib is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.26.2006, 11:51 AM   #24
chabib
Administrator

chabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asseschabib kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by toxic johnny
Okay so I've cracked it... it's been driving me crazy for weeks... I knew that I'd seen the Rather Ripped cover somewhere before... or something similar, it wasn't until I saw the b+w version that it clicked. It is definitely the work of Christopher Wool... I have a catalogue of his collaboration with Harmony Korine called 'Pass The Bitch Chicken' from 2001 (one for HaydenAsche) and look what I found...

now look at the image from the Kung Fu site.

Christopher is mostly known for his large text paintings.

here's a short biography...http://www.ubs.com/4/artcollection/t...phy/index.html
So they have kept the grand tradition of working with, or including work of (predominantly East Coast) artists on their album covers alive!
Thank Mary-Christ.

exactly. like i said last week.
Old 04.26.2006, 02:45 PM   #25
hambu hodo
little trouble girl

hambu hodo has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
i love the title "rather ripped" and i was hoping for a cover with a little more humour to it.

i think i would like the cover a lot better if it was white and black instead of red and black.
Old 04.26.2006, 03:24 PM   #26
Fox
the destroyed room

Fox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's assesFox kicks all y'all's asses
I like the cover but I don't think it really suits to the album (at least to what I've heard of it, meaning Incinerate, Reena, Do You Believe in Rapture? and live versions of Rats, Turquoise Boy, Sleepin' Around and Lights Out)

Noisejob
Fox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 12:44 PM   #27
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
I noticed that the cover art is not exactly characteristic of Sonic Youth. Seems more like a punk or metal bands kind of cover. But whatever. It's what is inside is what counts the most.
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 04.27.2006, 01:35 PM   #28
doctor dan
bad moon rising

doctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's assesdoctor dan kicks all y'all's asses
fantastic, i stand corrected! my apologies to christopher wool. maybe its because the text is so prominent in the desig, which they dont normally do.
Old 04.30.2006, 09:54 AM   #29
chabib
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor dan
fantastic, i stand corrected! my apologies to christopher wool. maybe its because the text is so prominent in the desig, which they dont normally do.

i still think it's too bad that the designer didn't spend the time cutting out his own fucking stencils instead of just using one of house industries fonts. L-A-Z-Y.
Old 05.03.2006, 12:29 PM   #30
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
The covers okay! But i want more traditional Iconic covers from SY like Daydream Nation or Bad Moon Rising. Their music goes from strength to strength, but their covers are fast becoming really lame! I havent liked a SY cover since Dirty (apart from the SYR covers, they are amazing!)
Washing Machine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 12:40 PM   #31
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Washing Machine
The covers okay! But i want more traditional Iconic covers from SY like Daydream Nation or Bad Moon Rising. Their music goes from strength to strength, but their covers are fast becoming really lame! I havent liked a SY cover since Dirty (apart from the SYR covers, they are amazing!)

Washing Machine has a great cover.
Old 05.03.2006, 02:07 PM   #32
Washing Machine
expwy. to yr skull

Washing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's assesWashing Machine kicks all y'all's asses
Washing Machine was interesting, but it isnt a iconic cover like Daydream Nation. The image of a candle in a dark corner is so haunting and speaks volumes
Washing Machine is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth