Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page to tell the truth: i am so in love with rather ripped!!!
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 05.02.2006, 10:06 PM   #1
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
ok, yes, i've got RATHER RIPPED.

i want to be 100% honest: this album showcases EVERYTHING i've ever loved about SONIC YOUTH. i've waited for a while to post this impression becuz i really wanted to explore the album.

in my humble opinion it features a band at the top of their creative climax.

Steve's drumming really shines throughout the songs, it's just wonderful. i really am in love with his drumming skills.

the production is just FLAWLESS, everything sounds just RIGHT and TIGHT.

the vocals in the band never sounded so good.

i am really glad that they got to make an album like this. i've always liked all of their efforts a lot, but the song structures and the whole sound on RR are just perfect, the balance bewteen the tracks is just incredible.

i will buy this album the very minute it will come out in italy, two copies.
one for me, and one for the girl who i love.

i dunno if she knows about SY but i do know that she will appreciate it.

thank you sonic youngsters, i will make everything possible to come and see this tour and sing out loud with you.

ciao!
Old 05.02.2006, 10:13 PM   #2
selkcip
bad moon rising

selkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's asses
steve's drumming could improve. his signature, straight-ahead galloping is somewhat vacant-sounding. the album is too short, but pretty
selkcip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2006, 10:45 PM   #3
schizophrenicroom
invito al cielo

schizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's assesschizophrenicroom kicks all y'all's asses
cool
Old 05.03.2006, 12:14 AM   #5
soniknirve
the destroyed room

soniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's asses
i've heard the new songs from the shows they played in france. lights out is great and the lone lee track, Rats, is awesome! Kegmama are you avoiding the live versions too?
soniknirve is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 12:33 AM   #6
Andrés
children of satan

Andrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's assesAndrés kicks all y'all's asses
Jam Runs Free says it all!

Andrés is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 12:39 AM   #7
soniknirve
the destroyed room

soniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's assessoniknirve kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kegmama
Ummm... Well... LIVE?! I never promised myself anything against live, I was just trying to hold out for the whole listening experience with the new album in hand thing... Why? You have something live to share?! PM me dude.

lol. the power of the bootleg compels you. the power of the bootleg compels you (pm you soon)...
soniknirve is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 12:40 AM   #8
SonikJesus
the end of the ugly

SonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's assesSonikJesus kicks all y'all's asses
I have the live show too. Pinks Steam and Incinerate kick ass.
SonikJesus is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 08:35 AM   #9
max
expwy. to yr skull

max kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's assesmax kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by selkcip
steve's drumming could improve. his signature, straight-ahead galloping is somewhat vacant-sounding. the album is too short, but pretty

you sir, should just take a breath and listen to the whole thing again. His style is just what the album needs, it fits the mood perfectly. of course you're just expressing your opinion but really i can't understand it. he nailed the perfect lines for this effort. everything is done the proper way, his use of cymbals won't ever stop to amaze me.
Old 05.03.2006, 08:42 AM   #10
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by max
in my humble opinion it features a band at the top of their creative climax.

Hmm, In my opinion the top of their climax was when Whitey Album and Confusion is Sex was released. That's when the drumming was my favorite as well
Old 05.03.2006, 08:46 AM   #11
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
i still havent heard it yet, its very tempting though.

woah, what just happened?, i went from a 'bad moon rising' to a 'children of satan'.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 08:50 AM   #12
whorefrost
invito al cielo

whorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asseswhorefrost kicks all y'all's asses
jams run free is quite nice... pink steam as well is quite catchy... all in all its a straight up rock record and if you've come to expect something deeper from SY you will be a bit disappointed... but it's good for what it is...
whorefrost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 09:45 AM   #13
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Just give in! Download the new album and then buy it when it is released. Don't be so uptight.
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 09:46 AM   #14
kingcoffee
expwy. to yr skull

kingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asseskingcoffee kicks all y'all's asses
Besides, the new album is pretty good. Not Sonic Nurse good. But good none the less.
kingcoffee is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 12:32 PM   #15
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
cool. cant wait.

come across RR on one of torrent sites, but i didn´t dl it, going to wait. i have them two french shows keep me happy till then.
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 02:39 PM   #16
kenning
little trouble girl

kenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asseskenning kicks all y'all's asses
Steve's drumming is incredibly inventive, given the idiom he's working with. And this idiom changes. The freer stuff (any of the SYR releases, the soundtrack stuff from Murray Street period, etc etc) gives him the opportunity to expand and I'd say he's at least on par with any percussionist in that realm (Gerry Hemingway, anyone Braxton's worked with, etc.). As a pop / rock drummer, he's a longtime favorite. I don't think his signature work is very straight-ahead. Put him up against Murph of Dinosaur Jr., or Dave Grohl's predictible triplets, or whatever. He really plays for the song and has an ear for tone that it is nearly as evident as the guitar work in the band. Few drummers know how to exploit this as Steve does, and even fewer listeners know how to hear it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by selkcip
kenning is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 03:30 PM   #17
holy-reverb!!
children of satan

holy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of lightholy-reverb!! is a glorious beacon of light
havnt heard it yet. i cant wait.

holy-reverb!! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 04:26 PM   #18
selkcip
bad moon rising

selkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's assesselkcip kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by kenning
Steve's drumming is incredibly inventive, given the idiom he's working with. And this idiom changes. The freer stuff (any of the SYR releases, the soundtrack stuff from Murray Street period, etc etc) gives him the opportunity to expand and I'd say he's at least on par with any percussionist in that realm (Gerry Hemingway, anyone Braxton's worked with, etc.). As a pop / rock drummer, he's a longtime favorite. I don't think his signature work is very straight-ahead. Put him up against Murph of Dinosaur Jr., or Dave Grohl's predictible triplets, or whatever. He really plays for the song and has an ear for tone that it is nearly as evident as the guitar work in the band. Few drummers know how to exploit this as Steve does, and even fewer listeners know how to hear it.
it was a lazy comment, i've come to recognize that his drumming is more than sufficient (appropriate) for sy's more straight-ahead, metronomic material. i like some of the dryer (minimal cymbals) beats he's got on RR. i guess it's that he's got this gallop at times that seems auto-pilotish, with a cymbal splash every couple bars or so (they seem unneccessary, but obligatory?) the drumming on incinerate does remind me of old dino jr., and feels just as agile. pretty cool record, RR
selkcip is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 05:13 PM   #19
SubSonicPumpAction
little trouble girl

SubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's assesSubSonicPumpAction kicks all y'all's asses
I think Thurston's songs aren't as good as Lee and Kim's. Kim's songs are the best on this record.

s
SubSonicPumpAction is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.03.2006, 06:55 PM   #20
AllHandsOnTheBigOne
children of satan

AllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's assesAllHandsOnTheBigOne kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SubSonicPumpAction
I think Thurston's songs aren't as good as Lee and Kim's. Kim's songs are the best on this record.

s

Yes.

I'm glad for the slight change in direction on this album. I started getting tired of that niche they had formed for themselves over the past couple of albums.

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth