Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page The Year Punk Broke DVD
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 09.30.2008, 09:15 PM   #41
[Sandbag]
100%

[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses[Sandbag] kicks all y'all's asses
that movie NEEDS a DVD release..
i sooo wanna watch it.
[Sandbag] is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.01.2008, 04:12 AM   #42
Kill-Yr-Idols
empty page

Kill-Yr-Idols has much to be proud ofKill-Yr-Idols has much to be proud ofKill-Yr-Idols has much to be proud ofKill-Yr-Idols has much to be proud ofKill-Yr-Idols has much to be proud ofKill-Yr-Idols has much to be proud ofKill-Yr-Idols has much to be proud ofKill-Yr-Idols has much to be proud ofKill-Yr-Idols has much to be proud of
here's the full article..:

http://ftl.nypress.com/blogx/display...m?bid=54221387

"I prefer VHS myself," said Thurston Moore when I told him I have a 15-year-old video tape copy of 1991: The Year That Punk Broke, a tour documentary featuring Sonic Youth, Nirvana and Dinosaur, Jr., amongst many other groundbreaking indie rock acts of the day, completely intact. Moore was about to take the stage with Ian MacKaye, of Minor Threat and Fugazi fame, for a discussion about punk and publishing at yesterday’s Brooklyn Book Festival. I wanted to know if the DVD version would ever see the light of day.

"There's sort of proprietary issues because of all the Nirvana stuff in it and all that stuff is under control of whoever control's Kurt [Cobain's] estate—That Which Will Not Be Named is how we refer to it—and we don't really want to release it until we can release it with all the extra footage. There's a whole second film and it's a whole other 90 minutes; a completely different cut of all the footage. And it's even crazier! It has amazing stuff in it. So until we can do that we're not going to do it—it might be a while," he said.

Recently, there's been some rumbling from long-time fans about when the DVD version might hit shelves, especially considering the myriad bonus materials that were left on the cutting room floor. It looks that the peace accord reached with brilliant but troubled grunge widow Courtney Love over the release of Nirvana's box set, With The Lights Out, four years ago has come to an end.

Not to worry though, said Moore. In true punk fashion, he added, "I'm trying to figure out ways of bootlegging it."
Kill-Yr-Idols is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.15.2009, 04:16 AM   #43
rodrigo marques
empty page

rodrigo marques has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Quote:
Originally Posted by noisereductions
Damn. I was hoping a thread started by Moshe about 1991 would be like "official release date: next week."

Thank you I love sonic youth I miss you kurt
rodrigo marques is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2009, 10:45 AM   #44
rappard
expwy. to yr skull

rappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's assesrappard kicks all y'all's asses
I have a very nice laserdisc -> DVD transfer if anyone's interested....you know where to find me. Trades/B&Ps only.

rappard is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2009, 12:20 PM   #45
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
isnt the nirvana estate under the control of someone else now? i thought the person that cant be named sold it to virgin or time/warner or someone?

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2009, 01:57 PM   #46
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
she-who-cannot-be-named sold 25% of the rights to some lawyer. that's the last I heard. she needed $$$$
Old 12.28.2009, 02:34 PM   #47
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead-Air
It's weird, betamax is pretty much the 8 track tape of video (higher quality but clunky format and thus premature death), while vhs are definitely the equivalent of cassettes and dvds are cds, but there never was vinyl for video.

There are non-consumerist things you can do with vhs that you can't with dvds, such as record over random sections on the fly. And the audio is analog, which you cannot get from a dvd, so there is that whole argument too. In the long run any argument for vhs over dvd is going to be pretty fetishist, but then that's not a surprising place to find Thurston.
'

What about videodisc? And there actually were a lot of other bizarre formats for video, they just weren't popular.
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2009, 02:35 PM   #48
infinitemusic
the destroyed room

infinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's assesinfinitemusic kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I hope it's actually Kathleen Hannah or something!

Courtney Love gets kicked around enough. Sure she's a bitch but there's a lot of bitches out there.

Yeah but in cases like this she actually deserves to get kicked around.
infinitemusic is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2009, 02:51 PM   #49
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

Rob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's assesRob Instigator kicks all y'all's asses
betamax was actually the better format of the VHS/Beta situation. US manufacturers had a bigger piece of the VHS pie so they forced US to use VHS. betamax was the standard worldwide, and in all television stations, it is betamax tapes that are or were used to record tv programs. betamax tapes were smaler, had better resolution, and were more popular. $$$$ made VHS in america.
Old 12.28.2009, 03:46 PM   #50
akprodr
the end of the ugly

akprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
betamax was actually the better format of the VHS/Beta situation. US manufacturers had a bigger piece of the VHS pie so they forced US to use VHS. betamax was the standard worldwide, and in all television stations, it is betamax tapes that are or were used to record tv programs. betamax tapes were smaler, had better resolution, and were more popular. $$$$ made VHS in america.

I think it was the recoding time that killed beta. TV stations use Betacam not betamax. Same physical tape size but BetaSP used a metal particle tape. Still in use but on its way out.
Old 12.28.2009, 04:00 PM   #51
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

I have Betacam tapes of my public access talk show! those are big!
Old 12.28.2009, 05:37 PM   #52
akprodr
the end of the ugly

akprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's assesakprodr kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Instigator
I have Betacam tapes of my public access talk show! those are big!

True, forgot about them. The ones the camcorders use are the same size as betamax. And you could use the old beta-nonSP tapes in a betamax and vice-versa. Rumor has it that a beta-nonSP could play a beta-1 tape.
Old 12.28.2009, 05:42 PM   #53
Rob Instigator
invito al cielo

first betamax tape my parents bought in 86 when they got a betamax vcr was Moonraker.
no lie.
Old 12.28.2009, 05:47 PM   #54
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses
Max Renn in Videodrome uses betamax tapes for his TV station so it's gotta be true!
Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.28.2009, 06:05 PM   #55
akprodr
the end of the ugly

My ex-wife was totally broken up when we found that a lot of her collection of tapes died and the belts in the machine were toast. She doesn't handle change well... (reason #5 why she is my ex-wife)
Old 12.31.2009, 04:42 PM   #56
skipvacuum
stalker

skipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's assesskipvacuum kicks all y'all's asses
check out the CED format......vinyl movies
Old 12.31.2009, 05:23 PM   #57
Keeping It Simple
invito al cielo

Keeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's assesKeeping It Simple kicks all y'all's asses
Historically speaking, punk didn't break out that year.
Keeping It Simple is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.31.2009, 09:59 PM   #58
Adolfo
children of satan

Adolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's assesAdolfo kicks all y'all's asses
Just do some TORRENT leaking!
Adolfo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth