Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page san franCISCO FILMORE THANK YOU SONIC YOUTH AND ERASE ERRATTA AS WELL AS 16 B.P.U.
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.07.2006, 01:41 AM   #1
Marcus Collar 1976
empty page

Marcus Collar 1976 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
FIRST OF ALL THIS IS LATE AND I DIDNT SEARCH TO FIND IF ANYONE ELSE HAD STARTED A THREAD....

I havent posted in a year or two and have lost my account info for "Marcus Collar" and "uhsowhatsthedealwithspikejonezeh?" two old lame accounts...

anyway

OCTOBER 1ST SUNDAY FILMORE sanf fran...

HOLY SHIT.,,,,,

ok first off thank you 16 bitch pile up......erase errata (sp?) this was the first time I have seen E E without the older members and just the bass drums and the wonderful lead now playing guitar...as usual great energy from the drummer and the same desperate stance from the bass ...god what is her name she always seems to be falling over yet in control and always changing gears for the madness that unfolds in EE's set. they played some classics and there was some great crowd banter about the bassist...and how everyone loved her......

ok on to SY...

First off last time SY was in SF some asswipe stole Thurstons guitar strap and as well the same guy pulled T-dog into the crowd. Ok im sure i posted about that years ago somewhere.... so just as the rok gods took the stage some freaking curly haired smelly hippie yelled "what happened to jim!" I was like "what a dick" ....,,,

holy shit it never fails why are people so lame ...I mean did this kid not see MARK IBOLD...jesus why do people dwell in the very distant past....as well im glad they busted out with 2 songs from daydream as an opener...

Kim was a goddess in her shiny silver......
Mark Ibold had a strange display of condiments and im sure a condom (look for photos of this online some where im sure) on his stack......it seemed like we had extended jams for most of the night.....the back drop which seemed at first to be a crude patchwork of white consecutive cubes in tower formation.....eventually became abstract screens for SY's incredible video projection show.....not that I could take my eyes off thurston or kim but at some point the abstract screens displayed shots of some sort of prozac pill throught a water glass as well as airplane shots of suburban landscapes.....it really made me feel like this band was really exploring the small stage space they had been alotted, not because of limits or even stance
but because of the challenges the past few years has posed on thier band...... like the rude kid stated before the set even stared "what happened to jim"...I feel they answered that maybe in the first minutes and quickly rolled past that into what seemed to be a pure expression as well as an artistic nudge to an old horse named Ibold...Thurston twice or maybe thrice switched insturments with Ibold...a sort of pavement gag....MArk even broke a string laughing it off to Thurston's ever vigilant guitar tech......

it was a great night.....stage presentation was great, the lineup was a perfect pairing making we wish I could see the upcoming nightmare before X-mas Thurston is presenting....

a few great moments from the night: Lee stealing stage by playing his latest "rats"...which to me seemed a great expression of the overworked and underapreciated artist that is Lee Reynaldo....

also to contrast the last time SY played filmore and the dumb ass stole Thurstons strap....this time around during a a jam thurtston let several mebers of this audience smack and even play his guitar....so no incident and no stolen strap thank you Sanf Fran maybe next time we'll get the classic 3 night Fillmore run from SY....

ok I take all this too serious.....thank you Lee, Mark, Kim, Thurston, and Steve....oh and your various crew and tech guys......you all rok
Marcus Collar 1976 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.07.2006, 03:53 AM   #2
Moshe
Super Moderator

Moshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's assesMoshe kicks all y'all's asses
http://dailycal.org/sharticle.php?id=21671

Sonic Youth Wins the War Against Eardrums
BY Sean Manning
Contributing Writer
Thursday, October 5, 2006

If ever a band's entire credo could be stuffed into ten glorious minutes of performance, Sonic Youth's grand entrance at the Fillmore this Sunday night was it.
As the now ironically named clan of scraggly, middle-aged rock demigods opened their final US show of the year with the iconic strums of "Teen Age Riot," it was clear that fans were in for a special treat. The rarely performed tune stands not only as the epic introduction to the band's classic album Daydream Nation, but also the closest thing the group has to an anthem. Frontman Thurston Moore, looking like a mop in a dress shirt, sang "it takes a teen age riot to get me out of bed right now," evoking a sense of youthful disillusionment as fitting now as when the song was written in the Reagan era.
These uneasy sentiments dissolved into cacophony as bright guitar chords melted into waves of white noise and feedback. Moore shook like he was in an epileptic fit, wrestling his guitar as it belched and squealed while drummer Steve Shelley embellished this already dramatic effect with a slowly intensifying tribal beat. This tension built for several minutes until culminating in a visually and aurally shocking feat as Moore and guitarist Lee Ranaldo slapped the necks of their instruments against each other, making an unearthly howl along the lines of Luke Skywalker and Darth Vader's lightsabers mashing together. The two necks slowly scraped, each spewing a metallic death rattle from their respective amplifiers. In the blink of an eye the sound stopped and the stage went dark. The crowd erupted into screams as if they had just witnessed the sonic equivalent of the Big Bang-and that was just the first song.
With this introduction, it became clear why Sonic Youth has always had the most nebulous role of all of the torchbearers of 80s college rock. The Pixies were the alt-rock godfathers, the Minutemen and Minor Threat had punk and hardcore pegged, and Talking Heads happily married new wave with art school sensibilities. Sonic Youth's mystique is in the fact that they are at once in all and none of these camps-equally likely to be mentioned in a pit at a punk show as at an art gallery (the band performed at the opening of the new Orange County Museum of Art a mere two days prior). This fusion of direct, seductive rock and face-melting noise in the band's opening ear massacre set the tone for the rest of the performance-a set that was as close to Sonic Youth 101 as you're likely to find.
And while the band's set featured a generous serving of songs from the new Rather Ripped, most of the group's stylistic turns and affairs turned up in some form or another. Ranaldo scored a crowd favorite with "Skip Tracer," a beat poetry-inspired ode to New York City, while bassist and occasional frontwoman Kim Gordon prompted dancing and sing-alongs with "Kool Thing," a staple from the band's brief flirtation with grunge. Even selections from the band's early catalogue were represented when Gordon was bathed in red light and blue flame for a terrifyingly intense performance of "Shaking Hell." When parents say rock music is the devil, this is what they're talking about. Sonic Youth may have a reputation as a cult band-their endless vault of albums, solo projects, offshoots and experimental releases attest to this and scare off the casually interested-but in concert, this amorphous identity was anything but a shortcoming. The rock veterans' spattering of old favorites and new accessible tunes made for a surprising set that could please true believers and seduce the uninitiated with sheer brain-rattling force.

Make some noise with Sean at arts@dailycal.org.
Moshe is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.07.2006, 04:34 AM   #3
top 40 squeeze
bad moon rising

top 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's assestop 40 squeeze kicks all y'all's asses
youth.
top 40 squeeze is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth