Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page Favorite Sonic Youth Live Moments?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 12.18.2006, 07:49 AM   #21
l01c
empty page

l01c has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
09/12/95 - Paris, France @ Elysee Montmartre

Expressway to Yr Skull as first song... I'm going totally ballistic... The crowd is dancing... Right before the break launching the noisy part, I go crowd-surfing... I'm on top of people's head, surfing allright... The break is here, silence in the venue, and i'm still surfing... And the silence lasts... And Thruston doesn't launch the noise part... And i'm still surfing... After like 10 seconds I force myself down, and right after I land Thruston sings "... to your Skullll" and the noise starts and the crowd gets wild.

I'm 95% sure he waited for me to go down to launch it. I was half-pissed off, half delighted.
l01c is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2006, 03:19 PM   #22
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Tom Violence, Ineffable Me, Death Valley 69, Cotton Crown, Hoarfrost, Expressway, NYC Ghosts & Flowers, Brother James, Kissability, Schizophrenia followed by Teenage Riot at my first show, covering Calling All Girls, everything......
Old 12.18.2006, 03:23 PM   #23
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pax Americana
Thurston resting his balls on a security guy's head. Then they stop the show and the whole fucking band gets sued. Man, that security guy was pissed too.

haha got a video of that?
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2006, 05:58 PM   #24
greenlight
invito al cielo

greenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's assesgreenlight kicks all y'all's asses
yeah, definitelly first ones. when thurston climbed the amps during the pattern recognition in brixton acadamy in '04. best sy moment for me.
greenlight is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.18.2006, 09:42 PM   #25
Dead-Air
invito al cielo

Dead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's assesDead-Air kicks all y'all's asses
Seeing them do an all instrumental set of all new material (much of which would later turn into NYC Ghosts and Flowers with vocals, but some from the SYR records too I'm pretty sure) at Bumbershoot in Seattle. It was amazing because the crowd totally dug it and there was massive crowd surfing even. Too all new material without vocals! They actually did it again the next year and there wasn't nearly the response, but that first time was just amazing.
Dead-Air is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2006, 05:11 PM   #26
Parker
empty page

Parker has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
En español, porque hay mucho boludo que no va a enteder nada.
because, I remember a very good moment of SY alive.

Todo empezo de noche, de pronto una tormenta electrica se desataba y Sonic Youth salia a escena, los rayos, explotaban detras del escenario y los chicos de SY brillaban en sus instrumentos.
genial
Sean lennon tambien toco ese dia y no me acuerdo de su show
ahh si recuerdo que el boludo no entendia español y la gente le pedia que tocara alguna canción de la madre
Parker is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2006, 06:27 PM   #27
jennthebenn
expwy. to yr skull

jennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's assesjennthebenn kicks all y'all's asses
dc, 6/15 of this year, early show.

kim: "were you at the show last night?"
me in the front row: "yes."
kim: "you had a different snoopy shirt on. snoopy rules."

fun fact--i actually died after that moment. all this posting, travelling to
england; that is in fact my soul doing all that. if you were to check me
for a pulse, you would come up empty. truth!
jennthebenn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.19.2006, 06:45 PM   #28
guitarpro
100%

guitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's asses
Its really hard to say I've been to 24 shows. I guess the biggest thrill for me was meeting them. TM KG & LR in Austin 2004 and SS in PA in 2004.
Old 12.19.2006, 07:23 PM   #29
pokkeherrie
invito al cielo

pokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's assespokkeherrie kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarpro
Its really hard to say I've been to 24 shows. I guess the biggest thrill for me was meeting them. TM KG & LR in Austin 2004 and SS in PA in 2004.

you forgot to use the term cool for describing said meetings.
pokkeherrie is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2006, 10:06 AM   #30
farmhouse
bad moon rising

farmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's assesfarmhouse kicks all y'all's asses
saw the yoof for the first time this past weekend at the state x show. fucking awesome obviously! . .. and loving these threads too. my view of the stage and band was sublime, if u know the venue i was on the left lower balcony right up front. a position in which not only could i read the setlists but could also reach down and grab a lock of lee's hair . . . should i wish. i didn't. however, from this vantage point i witnessed a spectacle that will remain with me for perhaps as long as the show itself will. that of a man having the spirit of the sonics in him . . . rushing on to the stage . . . spinning in a wild circle . .. uncontrollable . . . and throwing his 6foot+ frame in to the unsuspecting audience below . . . which, in turn, horrified, moved en masse in differing directions to allow the excited chap the full freedom of the floor . . . slapping down hard to many an oooh/aaah . . .. not only this but i continued to spy his return back to his mates head down a little ashamed i imagined him to be . . . . whereby he was followed by a rather scarylooking and baldheaded fellow who took it upon himself to land a slap on our excited youngster's face and return back to where he was so rudely interrupted. . . . stagediver man looking around wondering what had happened . . . me half pissing myself half pissed at this commotion distracting my first sy gig . . . . but priceless nonetheless and certainly worth sharing on this thread.
farmhouse is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.20.2006, 04:07 PM   #31
guitarpro
100%

guitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's assesguitarpro kicks all y'all's asses
Sorry it was COOL
guitarpro is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2006, 09:30 PM   #32
blastscenealibi
bad moon rising

blastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's assesblastscenealibi kicks all y'all's asses
My favorite Sonic live moment was just seeing that the band could and would still go on. It was a couple days after their gear got stolen. I drove down to Austin but the show had already been sold out but luckily I ran into Steve at a record store and he put me and my friend on his guest list. Outside listening to the soundcheck it didn't sound so hot. They had rented gitars/amps from a local store. But when they opened up with Schizophrenia it sounded as great if not better than any show I had seen by them up to that point. So it was great to see that their great musicianship came out of them and not just some fucked up sounding guitars as some were saying. But to pinpoint a certain part of that show Thurston's rented amp wasn't handling being pushed beyond the sonic threshhold too well so Thurston stops and starts messing with it and says "I don't think my amp is digging what I'm doing'.

sonic faith
blastscenealibi is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2006, 10:19 PM   #33
fluxequalsrad
stalker

fluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's assesfluxequalsrad kicks all y'all's asses
Sonic Youth 04 - toronto

Thurston climbing on amp during pattern recognition and scraping the guitar on the amp head
fluxequalsrad is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.21.2006, 10:23 PM   #34
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
I like the guitar sword battle that Lee and Thurston do all the time
Old 12.22.2006, 09:47 AM   #35
Wallis
empty page

Wallis kicks all y'all's assesWallis kicks all y'all's assesWallis kicks all y'all's assesWallis kicks all y'all's assesWallis kicks all y'all's assesWallis kicks all y'all's assesWallis kicks all y'all's assesWallis kicks all y'all's assesWallis kicks all y'all's assesWallis kicks all y'all's assesWallis kicks all y'all's asses
So many moments: I've been listenning to them for so long that shows have become part of memories of certain times of my life. I guess various shows in Cetral Park stand out the most: Independence Day, 1992: with good friends, hanging out all day, digging the soundcheck, seeing Sun Ra get wheeled out to the piano in a wheelchair, having Thurston dedicate Teenage Riot to the "Central Park hardcore scene", thinking of friends from that summer, when I discovered Slanted & Enchanted, Unrest, Crazy Horse Malt Liquor, etc...
Fast-forward to the next decade. Digging on another free concert, sitting out in the grass on a beautiful summer day w/my (now) wife, reading the paper, eating fruit. Then, on the Sonic Nurse tour, back in the park, a picnic dinner, my wife pregnant with our son. Sun setting as we walked south, cutting thru the playground... You may think it's dumb, but it puts things in perspective for me.
Wallis is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.22.2006, 09:56 AM   #36
Prisstina
the end of the ugly

Prisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's assesPrisstina kicks all y'all's asses
At the Milwaukee show in August, Thurston came out and took off his shoes. He said they were from a fan and were too hot or something. So for the rest of the set he walked around in socks AND STEPPED ON MY HAND! AHHHHHHH HE HAS SEXY-FEELING TOES.

Prisstina is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.22.2006, 12:00 PM   #37
lovesonicevol
children of satan

lovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud oflovesonicevol has much to be proud of
When I saw them this past summer, Thurston had some Nike shoes on. After opening with Schiz, he took them off and said something along the lines of "Nike is politically bogus." Also, before Rats, Thurston touched my friends fro and laughed. Kim did the same during What A Waste.

lovesonicevol is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.22.2006, 01:18 PM   #38
king_buzzo
invito al cielo

king_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's assesking_buzzo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inhuman
I like the guitar sword battle that Lee and Thurston do all the time

picture? i think i know what you mean, but maybe its something else
king_buzzo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.22.2006, 02:27 PM   #39
mkb3
empty page

mkb3 has a couple of kiss-ass net friends
Saw SY back in like 1991 in this weird mall near the Inner Harbor in Baltimore. Was walking to the show and saw SY hanging out with Fugazi. Very cool moment.
mkb3 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 12.22.2006, 02:42 PM   #40
finding nobody
invito al cielo

finding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's assesfinding nobody kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by king_buzzo
picture? i think i know what you mean, but maybe its something else
http://youtube.com/watch?v=Kcj0rn_N4t4
Look around 3:40
finding nobody is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth