Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Sonic Gossip
Reload this Page how do you feel about The Eternal as a "final album"?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 06.23.2012, 09:31 PM   #1
noisereductions
invito al cielo

noisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's assesnoisereductions kicks all y'all's asses
if SY is really no more I mean?

I know SYR9 came out later, but as a studio album...

my feeling is that even if they are split, we'll get archival material in the form of reissues w/ bonus discs, live albums, subsequent SYR's recorded prior, etc.

BUt studio album-wise:

on the one hand, I loved Eternal. I think it's a great way to end on a high note. On another, it bums me out even more. Makes me wonder what could have come next.

Thoughts?
Old 06.24.2012, 12:43 AM   #2
logicalharm
little trouble girl

logicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asseslogicalharm kicks all y'all's asses
It's not a bad album but I don't really like the idea of it as a "final" album, I definitely prefer to consider SYR9 (I mean the closing track? wow) as a satisfying culmination of everything they've done.

Hopefully we're all wrong and there's more but for now....
logicalharm is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2012, 01:57 AM   #3
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
My opinion is that the Eternal and SYR9 are both great ends of SY, if there is coming nothing more. And you all have to remember itīs very rare that bands that have existed so long make great last album. Only Beefhearts Ice Cream for Crow comes into my mind when I am thinking great last albums.
Mortte Jousimo is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2012, 05:07 AM   #4
badgercorn
bad moon rising

badgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's assesbadgercorn kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
My opinion is that the Eternal and SYR9 are both great ends of SY, if there is coming nothing more. And you all have to remember itīs very rare that bands that have existed so long make great last album. Only Beefhearts Ice Cream for Crow comes into my mind when I am thinking great last albums.

I think Massage The History, as the final (and best IMO) track on The Eternal, would be a pretty fantastic full-stop to their recording career.

And if you include SYR9, Theme D'Alice would be a good way to bow out too. I stress the use of the word 'would', though. I'm not convinced it's over.
badgercorn is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2012, 01:32 PM   #5
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Actually, this album is just now starting to grow on me. I've had it since before its release, but I have never really appreciated it as a singular work until recently. It was actually the say the final show was released on the internet. I was waking taking the bus home, thinking about the break up, and this was the only SY album that was on my iPod at the time. So I listened to it, from start to finish, and it all started to make sense on a strange way.

I definitely think it is a worthy album, and I believe it has a place in SY history. Is it all that it could have been? Probably not. But how many final albums are perfect? Most bands don't end on top, with an Abbey Road/Let it Be kind of final statement that perfectly sums up their career. So I'm not going to say it couldn't have been better, or that I wouldn't love to see my favorite group end with another, more definitive, final album. But it certainly could have been a good deal worse. Plus, the title is pretty perfect, and "Massage the History" is about as great a final song as one could hope for.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2012, 01:47 PM   #6
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
Aye fuck you!

The eternal...it's a nice album, but AS far as their "farewell" Nah.....Honestly, I'd rather have them end with another NYC Ghost & FLowers-esque album.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2012, 03:07 PM   #7
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
I think they could havec ended much better, but it is not possible to compare the begining to the end. The beginning is always better. like sex

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2012, 04:19 PM   #8
evollove
invito al cielo

evollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's assesevollove kicks all y'all's asses
Eternal would be a lousy final statement.

Most final albums aren't made with the foreknowledge that it will be the last one, which is why they are disapointing when listened to as such.

But if SY knew they were going to make a final album, it wouldn't sound like ETERNAL, which, in my opinion, was an attempt to cash in with a particular segment of the record-buying public. (It worked. It's their highest charted album last I checked.)

It would sound like a final statement. It would sound like SY unfettered by any consideration other than their collective muse. Christ, can you imagine how mind-blowing the closing track would be? It would put Massage the History (overrated) to shame. Hell, it would put Diamond Sea or Expressway or ___ to shame.

And I've always preferred the middle of sex.
evollove is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2012, 05:53 PM   #9
demonrail666
invito al cielo

demonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's assesdemonrail666 kicks all y'all's asses
I don't like Rather Ripped but think 'Or' would've made a decent finale.
demonrail666 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2012, 07:14 PM   #10
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL
The beginning is always better. like sex

says you, sex is an art, and it only gets better with time. When it declines it is not because of the passing of time, but rather a waning of interest.

Back to the OP, the Eternal is a fine enough album to end on, it could be worse, it could have all ended on EJSTNS

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.24.2012, 07:16 PM   #11
rocky
bad moon rising

rocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's assesrocky kicks all y'all's asses
What I eventually decided with R.E.M. was, it is much more fun and meaningful alike, to consider New Adventures in Hi Fi / Up / Reveal / Around the Sun / Accelerate ... and Collapse all as their final album. :P

so with Sonic Youth,
A Thousand Leaves / NYC Ghosts and Flowers / Murray Street / Sonic Nurse / Rather Ripped / The Eternal ... i guess is what I would consider their final album, for now. I just like how it feels to pretend a band on hiatus has released a several hours long mind inspiring/shocking final release spaced out across several years, do you?
Old 06.24.2012, 10:11 PM   #12
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
I don't think it's their strongest effort, but still a great record nonetheless. I feel the fact that musically it contained so many elements from sonic-days past that it will hold up well as a final record...a little something there for anyone and everyone that takes the time to listen to it.

I was kinda hoping for a while that they'd do an acoustic album. Maybe one day.

And no matter what kind of note they ended on, or may eventually end on, there will always be a "what could have came next". These sort of thoughts, while fun to entertain, are barely worth considering much as they can become a bit draining and never go anywhere...sorta like sitting around debating what Nirvana or Kurt would have went on to do...no one will ever really know for sure. I think with the youth there was a formula strong enough to maybe speculate..but that's all that could ever happen, speculations. I was always sorta hoping they'd break the formula a bit...I thought, personally, an acoustic record would have been an interesting way to do it. Maybe a series of acoustic albums.
Old 06.25.2012, 12:47 AM   #13
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Mortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's assesMortte Jousimo kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Severian
Actually, this album is just now starting to grow on me. I've had it since before its release, but I have never really appreciated it as a singular work until recently. It was actually the say the final show was released on the internet. I was waking taking the bus home, thinking about the break up, and this was the only SY album that was on my iPod at the time. So I listened to it, from start to finish, and it all started to make sense on a strange way.

I definitely think it is a worthy album, and I believe it has a place in SY history. Is it all that it could have been? Probably not. But how many final albums are perfect? Most bands don't end on top, with an Abbey Road/Let it Be kind of final statement that perfectly sums up their career. So I'm not going to say it couldn't have been better, or that I wouldn't love to see my favorite group end with another, more definitive, final album. But it certainly could have been a good deal worse. Plus, the title is pretty perfect, and "Massage the History" is about as great a final song as one could hope for.
Maybe itīs hard to believe, but when Eternal came, I was really excited about it and thinking it was their Sgt. Pepper! I mean it is kind of "perfect" SY album, great songs and sounds are quite soft and balanced, there are no sharp elements that are very typical almost all the other SY albums (I think only comparison to Eternal is Daydream Nation). I donīt mean I donīt like those sharp elements. Well, maybe I even then didnīt think it was better than EVOL or Sister, but anyway SY is to me one of the rare bands whose material havenīt ever got bad. There are two albums, that I was disappointed right after their release, but I have also learned to love them later.

I donīt think itīs realistic to expect that SY will decide to make a "great, final album" and also succeed in that. I think in art when somebody is trying to make something, I mean in purpose trying to make something really great, itīs just donīt work. I think whatīs really great in SY-albums that they sound very natural made to me.
Old 06.25.2012, 01:49 AM   #14
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
The album is insignificant, and will stay insignificant.

fucking thread.

Quit being sucha Debbie Downer.
Old 06.25.2012, 02:24 AM   #15
_slavo_
invito al cielo

_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses_slavo_ kicks all y'all's asses
They should have ended after Sonic Nurse. That would have been decent.

you're the boy

that can enjoy
invisibility
_slavo_ is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2012, 03:05 AM   #16
Mortte Jousimo
expwy. to yr skull

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murmer99
Sorry if I'm illustrating a great deal of pessimism.... it probably won't be "approved" on a sonic youth board that I'm actually very uncertain regarding whether they should continue or not. I just rarely feel the need to put this album on with my own personal volition. These letters are in italics but there's no reason for that... never mind it.
My experience is that youīre not approved on SY board if you like both Rather Ripped and the Eternal. It seems you have to hate both or one of them if you want to be someone who is respected here. I know here are fans who like them both, but they very rare say their opinion (I understand them, because there is too much people who want to threw their hate everytime itīs possible).

I hope SY will continue, if they can make as great records as Eternal is. But I also think itīs better to split than make any lousy record and I really believe SY will do it, if they notice they donīt have anything to give anymore.
Old 06.25.2012, 03:43 AM   #17
EVOLghost
invito al cielo

EVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's assesEVOLghost kicks all y'all's asses
^ Rather Ripped is their worst album....but I still like it.

I still listen to it.
EVOLghost is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2012, 05:58 AM   #18
mil_pl
expwy. to yr skull

mil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's assesmil_pl kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by _slavo_
They should have ended after Sonic Nurse. That would have been decent.

This.

mil_pl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2012, 10:21 AM   #19
Severian
invito al cielo

Severian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's assesSeverian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mortte Jousimo
Maybe itīs hard to believe, but when Eternal came, I was really excited about it and thinking it was their Sgt. Pepper! I mean it is kind of "perfect" SY album, great songs and sounds are quite soft and balanced, there are no sharp elements that are very typical almost all the other SY albums (I think only comparison to Eternal is Daydream Nation). I donīt mean I donīt like those sharp elements. Well, maybe I even then didnīt think it was better than EVOL or Sister, but anyway SY is to me one of the rare bands whose material havenīt ever got bad. There are two albums, that I was disappointed right after their release, but I have also learned to love them later.

I donīt think itīs realistic to expect that SY will decide to make a "great, final album" and also succeed in that. I think in art when somebody is trying to make something, I mean in purpose trying to make something really great, itīs just donīt work. I think whatīs really great in SY-albums that they sound very natural made to me.

I don't agree about it being the "perfect SY album," but I am on board with just about everything else you're saying. I too was extremely excited for Eternal, as I have been for every new SY album since the mid 90s. However, I have been listening to them long enough to know never to be surprised if an album doesn't grab me on the first listen. Very few of them have, and I knew Eternal would probably be no different. It's taken Mich lo Ger than usual for this one to grab me, but it finally has.

I think the album stands out or its production, which is often shat on by fans, but is actually extremely precise. Yes, it's kind of "big rock" sounding, but it's "big rock" done extremely well.
Severian is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 06.25.2012, 04:33 PM   #20
Derek
invito al cielo

Derek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's assesDerek kicks all y'all's asses

Derek is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content Đ2006 Sonic Youth