Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page Spirituality - God - Enlightenment - Sonic Love
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 10.29.2010, 10:26 AM   #41
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by knox
there's no spirit without booze.

if there is then sure. takes the edge off.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.29.2010, 07:46 PM   #42
artsygrrl
the end of the ugly

artsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's assesartsygrrl kicks all y'all's asses
I feel like I'm in a sweat lodge.
artsygrrl is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 10.29.2010, 09:24 PM   #43
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glice
Abelard..

Luther, Zwingli and Calvin for me represent not just a change in Theological orientation but also a seismic shift in Theo-academic writing - in a sense, what we understand as analytical and academic now is inherited from their style. I don't know if you've tried, say, John Chrysostum, but he's an absolute fucker to approach from a modern perspective.
'
Abelard is a gem of Western Theology..

Luther and Calvin are precisely the problem with Western Theology, they replaced mysticism with academic intellectualism. The Spirit is not found in the Mind, just as you don't judge the feeling of music with the intellect, as we in Rastafari say, "Who feels it knows it"
John Chrysostum is some remarkably spiritual material, like much of the early Church Fathers writings, it is far to spiritual and mystical to be understood on academic or intellectual terms. It is almost a kind of guided meditation, meant to be experienced far more than understood. That was entirely my point above, about the difference between Western intellectual theology and Eastern (be it Near East Christianity/Islam or Far East Hindu/Buddhist/Shinto) spiritual theology, one is meant to be understood like an algebra equation, and the other is meant to be experienced like music or wine. You can talk all you like about wine, but its real joy is in drinking the glass...

SuchFriendsAreDangerous is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.02.2010, 10:24 PM   #44
ann ashtray
expwy. to yr skull

ann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's assesann ashtray kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by SuchFriendsAreDangerous
Abelard is a gem of Western Theology..

Luther and Calvin are precisely the problem with Western Theology, they replaced mysticism with academic intellectualism. The Spirit is not found in the Mind, just as you don't judge the feeling of music with the intellect, as we in Rastafari say, "Who feels it knows it"
John Chrysostum is some remarkably spiritual material, like much of the early Church Fathers writings, it is far to spiritual and mystical to be understood on academic or intellectual terms. It is almost a kind of guided meditation, meant to be experienced far more than understood. That was entirely my point above, about the difference between Western intellectual theology and Eastern (be it Near East Christianity/Islam or Far East Hindu/Buddhist/Shinto) spiritual theology, one is meant to be understood like an algebra equation, and the other is meant to be experienced like music or wine. You can talk all you like about wine, but its real joy is in drinking the glass...

But, the only problem with feelings it that THEY lie. It's easy to make someone feel just about anything, even when coming from someone who may not be sincere. Consider con artists...they make rich women feel love and others loan them money, sometimes offering what feels to be a legitimate feeling of trust. The church, ANY church, is certainly capable of doing the same thing (and I'm not saying they all aim to do this...by any means).

To quote myself:

"As soon an ya trust too much, expect to much, you've already failed".

This isn't to say I don't trust anyone, I just refuse to put all my trust into one person, or better yet, one idea.
Old 11.05.2010, 01:22 PM   #45
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
suchfriends, i googled st john chrysostum and the search or original texts turned up some dull antisemitic shit. i know it was the times, 20/20 hindsight, etc., yet still it was unpalatable (i happen to like jews). in any case, know any disease-free texts you'd recommend?
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2010, 01:24 PM   #46
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
to quote myself:

yeah, wine is good.

knox is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2010, 01:34 PM   #47
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
I think someone probably created us. I think people should be probably good to each other. That's about it. Satanism is the "religion" that makes the most sense to me, though I identify myself as an agnostic.

atsonicpark is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2010, 02:03 PM   #48
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by atsonicpark
I think someone probably created us. I think people should be probably good to each other. That's about it. Satanism is the "religion" that makes the most sense to me, though I identify myself as an agnostic.

You are an idiot.
hevusa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2010, 02:06 PM   #49
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

SuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's assesSuchFriendsAreDangerous kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
suchfriends, i googled st john chrysostum and the search or original texts turned up some dull antisemitic shit. i know it was the times, 20/20 hindsight, etc., yet still it was unpalatable (i happen to like jews). in any case, know any disease-free texts you'd recommend?

this should do..

I recommend someone more like John of Damascus or Saint Augustin or Gregory of Nyssa myself, but I do enjoy John Chrysostom. All the early Church Fathers were brilliant and they have some ridiculously insightful things to say, but you must read through them, and some of them are quite dense. I think John of Damascus comes across as the most readily accessible, but keep in mind that these are deeply religious works, and their insights on more practical matters, while equally eloquent (for example)

Quote:
Of all existing things there is a twofold manner of apprehension, the consideration of them being divided between what appertains to intellect and what appertains to the senses; and besides these there is nothing to be detected in the nature of existing things, as extending beyond this division. Now these two worlds have been separated from each other by a wide interval, so that the sensible is not included in those qualities which mark the intellectual, nor this last in those qualities which distinguish the sensible, but each receives its formal character from qualities opposite to those of the other. The world of thought is bodiless, impalpable, and figureless; but the sensible is, by its very name, bounded by those perceptions which come through the organs of sense.
( From Gregory of Nyssa ), are peppered in less frequently then their glorious theological discussions. These are no Pat Robertsons or even Billy Grahams, the Church Fathers know their shit. John of Damascus of discusses matters of science and even atheism quite frequently and intelligently, and from an open minded perspective. Not quite vitriolic as John Chrysostum can be, but John of Chrysostum's real gift to the Church was in poetry, hymnals and liturgies, his theological treatises were a bit on the diatribe...

in regards to the jewish discussions, keep in mind that in the 1st-9th centuries, Jewish kingdoms in North Africa and the Arabian Peninsula were potent military and economic threats to their rival Christian powers in Byzantium, East Africa and the Near East. Jews and Christians often sparred for influence, and some of the writings on both camps are rather similar to Cold War propaganda campaigns to either explain or simply demonize the other.

Old 11.05.2010, 02:27 PM   #50
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

atsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's assesatsonicpark kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by hevusa
You are an idiot.

THANK YOU MY BROTHER! GOD BLESS YOU!

I love you and your insults! Feel free to throw more my way, I will love them like a puppy! Here -- need some money? I will donate to you, as well, to keep insulting me. I will pay for your internet connection. I will pay for typing lessons, to help you in insulting me QUICKER.

Basically, I love you and everything you say!

And you are probably right, I mean I did donate thousands of dollars to charity this year, instead of "tithing" to the religion of my choice, so I'm probably idiotic for not trying to buy my way into the Heaven that may or may not exist, but at least I feel like I did something important, working towards something that makes me feel like I did someting decent, in contributing to SOMEONE else, instead of worrying about myself, or worrying about insulting others. I have no need for my money. Life is a lot deeper than the black and white it is mistreated as; I am a highly spiritual person, just not the spirituality that is accepted in most circles. my spirituality is inside me, not from some book that's been edited and revisd 500,000 times. That's my religion, my rules, my commandments: Being good to people, even the ones who disrespect me, because I don't honestly give a fuck how I look to other people, I can sleep sound knowing I did the right thing. For example, I don't feel the need to insult everyone else because I'm not insecure about myself and my place in life. I grew up with nothing -- no one -- no help from ANYONE and I have more to show for my life than anyone I know, because I have used my common sense, GOD'S GIFT -- now I am giving it all away! On the other hand, some people might think I'm being stupid for giving all my money away, getting rid of all my posessions, instead of supporting me on my spiritual journey, but guess what? I, in all reality, probably won't be alive this time next year, and when faced with something like that, you STOP GIVING A FUCK what people think! And in my time of weakness, in my time of need, in my time of everyone trying to convince me otherwise, I won't submit to some bullshit religion made up of judgemental people, just because God would be oh-so "convenient" in my life right now or something. If "Heaven" exists and is made of good people who did good things -- and I'm certainly trying my hardest to be good to everyone -- then why does it even matter what you think? All that matters -- all that EVER matters -- is I did the right thing. So, fuck it. "Heaven", here I come! Or, maybe not. I guess I'll be face to face with whatever it is soon. I'll send you guys a postcard.

Anyway, I thank you and I LOVE YOU, my brother, for taking the 3 seconds you exhausted to try to insult me, for no apparent reason, instead of trying to understand our differences, and trying to actually have a conversation -- instead of explaining yourself. I hope you feel really good about it. I feel really good about being insulted, because your words speak for themselves, and in no way effect me, even the slightest, since your kneejerk reactions were clearly well-thought-out, something I couldn't hope to understand, but I will try my hardest to. My love for you speaks for itself. I love everyone, in fact. THANK YOU ALL! God bless.

Old 11.05.2010, 02:44 PM   #51
SuchFriendsAreDangerous
invito al cielo

Quote:
THANK YOU MY BROTHER! GOD BLESS YOU!

I love you and your insults! Feel free to throw more my way, I will love them like a puppy!

Anyway, I thank you and I LOVE YOU, my brother, for taking the 3 seconds you exhausted to try to insult me, for no apparent reason, .

Old 11.05.2010, 02:46 PM   #52
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
I think everyone here knows all too well my spiritual veiws so I will spare you the long post. My basic phillosiphy is to treat other ppl like I want to be treated and love god with all my heart.

and lots a SONIC LOVE

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2010, 02:47 PM   #53
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

"We love Him because He first loved us."
1 John 4:9-10

Old 11.05.2010, 02:48 PM   #54
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by SONIC GAIL
I think everyone here knows all too well my spiritual veiws so I will spare you the long post. My basic phillosiphy is to treat other ppl like I want to be treated and love god with all my heart.

and lots a SONIC LOVE

OH YOU IDIOT!

YOU'RE AN IDIOT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Haha.

Just kidding.

I love you, Sonic Gail! This is a wonderful philosophy! You are beautiful!

"There is no fear in love; but perfect love casteth out fear ... "
1 John 4:18

Old 11.05.2010, 02:49 PM   #55
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

"It is God who arms me with strength and makes my way perfect. He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he enables me to stand on the heights. He trains my hands for battle; my arms can bend a bow of bronze. You give me your shield of victory, and your right hand sustains me; you stoop down to make me great. You broaden the path beneath me, so that my ankles do not turn."
Psalm 18:32-36

Old 11.05.2010, 02:50 PM   #56
knox
invito al cielo

knox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's assesknox kicks all y'all's asses
God: An icy surface anchored in laughter. (hh)

Old 11.05.2010, 02:50 PM   #57
knox
invito al cielo

i disagree.

it is:

God. A Surface of ice Anchored in Laughter (HH)

Old 11.05.2010, 02:51 PM   #58
atsonicpark
invito al cielo

Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever; wisdom and power are his. He changes times and seasons; he sets up kings and deposes them. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in darkness, and light dwells with him.

Old 11.05.2010, 02:59 PM   #59
hevusa
expwy. to yr skull

hevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asseshevusa kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Praise be to the name of God for ever and ever; wisdom and power are his. He changes times and seasons; he sets up kings and deposes them. He gives wisdom to the wise and knowledge to the discerning. He reveals deep and hidden things; he knows what lies in darkness, and light dwells with him.

Seems like he hasn't given you shit for brains.
hevusa is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.05.2010, 03:01 PM   #60
SONIC GAIL
invito al cielo

Location: I moved from hillbilly Florida to hillbilly Alabama
SONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's assesSONIC GAIL kicks all y'all's asses
@sonic lovely lovely lovely those words make me smile<3

SONIC GAIL is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth