Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page did you go to university/college?
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

View Poll Results: did you go to uni?, do you plan to go?
yes i went, or i plan to go when im old enough 60 85.71%
no i didn't go, or i won't go in the future 10 14.29%
Voters: 70. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05.02.2006, 02:44 PM   #1
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
im trying to figure out if i should go to uni next year to study photography further or not, im currenty at college doing a Diploma in photography and after that the next level up is to go to uni and do a BA in it, my parents and teachers really want me to go, but i'd really like to go traveling instead. it will end up costing about the same amount of money, and i think i will really learn alot more traveling than i would at uni. doing both isnt really an option.

i just wanted to get an older persons perspective on this, did you go to uni or college?, or not?

do you regret going or not going?

what would you do if you were me?
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2006, 02:58 PM   #2
Sheriff Rhys Chatham
invito al cielo

Sheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's assesSheriff Rhys Chatham kicks all y'all's asses
im not older but I would travel. Why learn what other people are already doing?
as for me I plan on further education. Ive actually been looking at internet courses. The thing is I want to study electricity so I think a hands on course would be better.

A part of this blue shit since June 24th, 2004
Sheriff Rhys Chatham is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2006, 02:58 PM   #3
Savage Clone
invito al cielo

Savage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's assesSavage Clone kicks all y'all's asses
I will write on this later tonight.
I went, and dropped out in mid-senior year, which I have never regretted. I hated it, but did well. I would not know how much I hated it had I not gone though, and there were a few shreds of worthwhile experences (mostly outside the classroom).
If you go, go to a small school. I know far more people with positive experiences in smaller schools than larger ones.
Savage Clone is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2006, 03:04 PM   #4
lucyrulesok
100%

lucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asseslucyrulesok kicks all y'all's asses
i am going in september, and i still dont really know if its what i want. i certainly know its what everyone else wants for me. if i were you i'd follow your heart, cause i feel like i havent made my own decision, and im pretty unhappy about it right now (though i do realise that it could all change when i actually get there)
with something like photography i think its much more important that you get the experience of travelling and getting some work together. think about it, you could learn how everyone else takes their photos, or you could go to some awesome places and take some amazing photos and develop your own style.
also, a BA would be pretty academic, right? you should think about how disciplined you want to be in the next couple of years.

just my two pence worth, hope it helps
lucyrulesok is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2006, 03:04 PM   #5
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheriff Rhys Chatham
im not older but I would travel. Why learn what other people are already doing?

thats what i keep telling my mum, i think i would learn alot more from 3 years traveling than i would doing 3 years of uni.
Old 05.02.2006, 03:05 PM   #6
screamingskull
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucyrulesok
i am going in september, and i still dont really know if its what i want. i certainly know its what everyone else wants for me. if i were you i'd follow your heart, cause i feel like i havent made my own decision, and im pretty unhappy about it right now (though i do realise that it could all change when i actually get there)
with something like photography i think its much more important that you get the experience of travelling and getting some work together. think about it, you could learn how everyone else takes their photos, or you could go to some awesome places and take some amazing photos and develop your own style.
also, a BA would be pretty academic, right? you should think about how disciplined you want to be in the next couple of years.

just my two pence worth, hope it helps

this is great advise thanks alot!. what uni are you going to/what are you studying?
Old 05.02.2006, 03:49 PM   #7
nomadicfollower
invito al cielo

nomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's assesnomadicfollower kicks all y'all's asses
Not going to vote.
I'm not old enough and I'm not yet sure if I'm going to go or not. So I can't say either way.
nomadicfollower is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2006, 03:56 PM   #8
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingskull
im trying to figure out if i should go to uni next year to study photography further or not, im currenty at college doing a Diploma in photography and after that the next level up is to go to uni and do a BA in it, my parents and teachers really want me to go, but i'd really like to go traveling instead. it will end up costing about the same amount of money, and i think i will really learn alot more traveling than i would at uni. doing both isnt really an option.

i just wanted to get an older persons perspective on this, did you go to uni or college?, or not?

do you regret going or not going?

what would you do if you were me?

you dont need a BA to be a great photographer.

if i were you:

what i'd do is travel around the world with my camera, come back with an ace portfolio & get a scholarship to study wherever i want, if i want.

or when i come back i could also just start working as a photographer & make $$ instead of paying for stupid courses in "critical theory" & "advanced balls". (i don't have pound signs if that's what you use)

remember: it's your life. DO NOT let others live it for you. and get the travel bug out of your system already!

--
ps. i have too much schooling. 2 BAs, a masters, 1/2 of a phD. i know what the fuck im talking about.
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2006, 03:59 PM   #9
SpectralJulianIsNotDead
invito al cielo

SpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's assesSpectralJulianIsNotDead kicks all y'all's asses
Your mom goes to college!
SpectralJulianIsNotDead is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2006, 04:00 PM   #10
IntoTheGroovey
bad moon rising

IntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to allIntoTheGroovey is a name known to all
I just finished a week and a half ago.
Old 05.02.2006, 04:01 PM   #11
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Yeah it sucked and now I am $30,000 in debt.
Old 05.02.2006, 04:03 PM   #12
screamingskull
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by krastian
Yeah it sucked and now I am $30,000 in debt.

wow that really sucks!, what did you study? was it worth going?
Old 05.02.2006, 04:06 PM   #13
!@#$%!
invito al cielo

!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses!@#$%! kicks all y'all's asses
ps-- if you are not really motivated to go to college, you are going to suck at it & lose both money and education.

3 years traveling might be a bit much. tell them you want to travel for a year & then apply. (then you can get an extension until you are of legal age, ha hah, if you arent)

traveling can be hard! little money, working shit jobs-- all in fun but after a point you'll want to have some kind of life.

suggested reading: work your way around the world. but your camera, if you're good, might make you more $$ that temp jobs.

have fun!
!@#$%! is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2006, 04:08 PM   #14
Inhuman
invito al cielo

Inhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's assesInhuman kicks all y'all's asses
I'm in college, and it was free for me cause' I live in Quebec
Old 05.02.2006, 04:14 PM   #15
krastian
invito al cielo

krastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asseskrastian kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingskull
wow that really sucks!, what did you study? was it worth going?

I majored in English and minored in Creative Writing Fiction. Was it worth it? Well as of now no because I do not have a decent job yet. That's why I went right? I had a blast partying and all that, but I would have been doing the same thing regardless if I was in college or not. I'd go if you have the opportunity because it seems to be getting harder and harder to find a job without some education which just shows that you can complete a task on yr own. Plus a Bachelors Degree is pretty much the new high school diploma.
Old 05.02.2006, 04:17 PM   #16
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

johnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's asses
there are definite advantages in doing an art based course at uni/art college in that you get to learn about the workings of the art world, build up contacts in galleries, arts groups and get valuable constructive criticism from tutors. My painting has definitely evolved and i've noticed at least 2 or 3 big changes in my work that wouldn never have happened if i'd been just fucking about on my own. I also find being in college and having regular checkpoints and assessments has motivated me to work my ass off.
The down side of my course, not sure if it's the same everywhere, is that there are quite a lot of people on it who I'm pretty sure have no interest in continuing and are just there cus they thought it was an easy life.

I know of people who have been successful at photography, specifically gig photography just by being in the right place at the right time or else constantly being out there taking photo after photo but without guidance from tutors or people already in the business i;d say it'd be a lot harder to get ni the door. Another plus in this is not having to do frigging essays but thats a small point
johnnywinternoshow is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2006, 04:17 PM   #17
johnnywinternoshow
the end of the ugly

johnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's assesjohnnywinternoshow kicks all y'all's asses
and as krastian says, it seems to truly stand out these days you need a masters
johnnywinternoshow is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 05.02.2006, 04:18 PM   #18
screamingskull
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by !@#$%!
ps-- if you are not really motivated to go to college, you are going to suck at it & lose both money and education.

3 years traveling might be a bit much. tell them you want to travel for a year & then apply. (then you can get an extension until you are of legal age, ha hah, if you arent)

traveling can be hard! little money, working shit jobs-- all in fun but after a point you'll want to have some kind of life.

suggested reading: work your way around the world. but your camera, if you're good, might make you more $$ that temp jobs.

have fun!

thanks!
Old 05.02.2006, 04:20 PM   #19
screamingskull
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnywinternoshow
there are definite advantages in doing an art based course at uni/art college in that you get to learn about the workings of the art world, build up contacts in galleries, arts groups and get valuable constructive criticism from tutors. My painting has definitely evolved and i've noticed at least 2 or 3 big changes in my work that wouldn never have happened if i'd been just fucking about on my own. I also find being in college and having regular checkpoints and assessments has motivated me to work my ass off.
The down side of my course, not sure if it's the same everywhere, is that there are quite a lot of people on it who I'm pretty sure have no interest in continuing and are just there cus they thought it was an easy life.

I know of people who have been successful at photography, specifically gig photography just by being in the right place at the right time or else constantly being out there taking photo after photo but without guidance from tutors or people already in the business i;d say it'd be a lot harder to get ni the door. Another plus in this is not having to do frigging essays but thats a small point

hmmm, that what i keeps comming down to, whats better qualifications or experience?
Old 05.02.2006, 04:42 PM   #20
terminal pharmacy
invito al cielo

terminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's assesterminal pharmacy kicks all y'all's asses
education is important, studty then travel you will learn alot then go away take your camera with you and start working. if the us is at all like australia it is hard to get shown in a gallery unless you have some education behind you because of the visual art snob factor. you will also learn things about photography that you wouldn't think you would learn or even know about. i studied film then went overseas now i am a sound engineer and i tour quite frequently and other people pay for me to go overseas
terminal pharmacy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth