Go Back   Sonic Youth Gossip > Non-Sonics
Reload this Page 4 Warhol pieces to be auctioned at CHRISTIE'S
Register FAQ Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 11.15.2006, 10:52 AM   #1
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses

Sale Title POST-WAR AND CONTEMPORARY ART (EVENING SALE)

Location New York, Rockefeller Plaza
Sale Date Nov 15, 2006
Lot Number 16
Sale Number 1725
Creator Andy Warhol (1928-1987)
Lot Title Mao
Estimate 8,000,000 - 12,000,000 U.S. dollars
Pre-lot Text Property from the Daros Collection
Lot Description Andy Warhol (1928-1987)
Mao
signed 'Andy Warhol' (on the reverse)
synthetic polymer and silkscreen inks on canvas
82 x 61 in. (208.3 x 154.9 cm.)
Painted in 1972.

Location New York, Rockefeller Plaza Sale Date Nov 15, 2006
Lot Number 32
Sale Number 1725
Lot Title Orange Marilyn
Estimate 10,000,000 - 15,000,000 U.S. dollars
Pre-lot Text PROPERTY OF A WEST COAST COLLECTOR
Orange Marilyn
signed and dated 'ANDY WARHOL/62' (on the reverse)
20 x 16 in. (50 x 40.5 cm.)
Painted in 1962.

Sale Date Nov 15, 2006
Lot Number 20
Sale Number 1725
Lot Title Judith Green
Estimate 2,000,000 - 3,000,000 U.S. dollars
Judith Green
overall: 40 x 32 in. (101.7 x 81.3 cm.)
Painted in 1963-64.

Sale Date Nov 15, 2006
Lot Number 37
Sale Number 1725
Lot Title Sixteen Jackies
Estimate Estimate On Request
Pre-lot Text PROPERTY OF A PRIVATE AMERICAN COLLECTION
Sixteen Jackies
signed 'ANDY WARHOL 64' (bottom overlap, first row second canvas; third row, fourth canvas); 'ANDY WARHOL 64' (top overlap, second row, first canvas; third row, first three canvases; fourth row, fourth canvas); 'ANDY WARHOL 64' (left overlap, fourth row, second canvas)
overall: 80 x 64 in. (203.2 x 162.6 cm.)
Painted in 1964.
Tokolosh is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2006, 10:54 AM   #2
Intellivision
i'm a rotten little fuck

Intellivision kicks all y'all's assesIntellivision kicks all y'all's assesIntellivision kicks all y'all's assesIntellivision kicks all y'all's assesIntellivision kicks all y'all's assesIntellivision kicks all y'all's assesIntellivision kicks all y'all's assesIntellivision kicks all y'all's assesIntellivision kicks all y'all's assesIntellivision kicks all y'all's assesIntellivision kicks all y'all's asses
The society potrait of Judith Green is abysmal. Personally, I'd never go for the Mao...or the Jackie really, although it's okay. Gimmie Marilyn!
Intellivision is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2006, 11:00 AM   #3
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Tokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's assesTokolosh kicks all y'all's asses
Andy Warhol's iconic "Mao" portrait to be auctioned
The Associated Press - Published: November 13, 2006

NEW YORK: Andy Warhol's iconic image of Mao Zedong, considered one of his most sensational pieces of the 1970s, is being offered for sale by the Swiss-based Daros Collection, owner of one of the greatest private holdings of Warhol paintings, Christie's auction house announced Monday.

"This work has the most prestigious provenance, staggering wall-power and is literally an icon of the 20th century," said Brett Gorvy, the head of postwar and contemporary art at Christie's.

Warhol took Mao out of China's propaganda machine "and creates something much more alive, much more garish in colors that has very much the Pop sensibility about it," Gorvy said.

The silk-screen portrait, measuring 81 inches (206 centimeters) by 61 inches (155 centimeters) and showing Mao in a dark blue jacket against a light blue background, is set to be auctioned at Christie's Rockefeller Center galleries as part of its evening sale of postwar and contemporary art on Wednesday. It is expected to bring between $8 million (€6.2 million) and $12 million (€9.4 million).

Warhol was not shy about cashing in on what he perceived to be the capitalist collector's fascination with China and its leader.

"Andy Warhol was in love with fame," said Gorvy. "At the moment in history, 1971-72, it was the reopening of China to the West. China was creating new relations with America. Nixon had gone over to China so Chairman Mao's image was everywhere and Warhol captured that. He understood ... that it was famous not just for that moment but famous forever."

The auction house said "Mao" constituted Warhol's first political portrait, successfully paving the way for a number of other political portraits and subjects including "Lenin" and "Hammer and Sickle."

"He chose Mao because he really was the most famous person in the world at that particular moment," said Gorvy. "He wanted to represent him as he was represented then all over China as this great icon."

The silk-screen image was derived from an official state portrait of the Communist leader on the cover of a book entitled "Quotations from Chairman Mao Tse-Tung."

It was one of a series of 10 large scale portraits Warhol made of Mao in 1972. Art experts consider "Mao" to be the best in the group.

Beside "Mao," the Wednesday auction will offer seven other Warhols from other private collections, including "Orange Marilyn" (1962), depicting Marilyn Monroe, with a presale estimate of $10 million (€7.8 million) to $15 million (€11.7 million), and "Sixteen Jackies" (1964), portraying Jacqueline Kennedy, with an estimate of $12 million (€9.4 million) to $16 million (€12.5 million).

In May, an early iconoclastic work by Warhol of a Campbell's soup can titled, "Small Torn Campbell's Soup Can (Pepper Pot)," sold for almost $11.8 million (€9.2 million) at Christie's.

The Daros Collection, based in Zurich, Switzerland, is known to focus on a small group of artists including Cy Twombly, Brice Marden, Agnes Martin and Warhol. Its Warhol collection includes "210 Coke Bottles," "Blue Liz as Cleopatra" and "AtomicBomb."

Christie's said the board of the Daros Collection was selling the "Mao" "to raise proceeds for future acquisition of prime works from the 1960s."
Old 11.15.2006, 11:00 AM   #4
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
there is just something about warhol that i dont get from any other artist. i simply love his work, pretty much all of it.

|@ <------- Euphoric brain cell just moments before expiration
V

_ \ / _
PING <-------- moments later
/ \

http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_ljhxq...isruo1_500.gif

jon boy is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2006, 11:08 AM   #5
jon boy
invito al cielo

jon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's assesjon boy kicks all y'all's asses
however i dont like it when people get their own pic done up warhol style, i dont know it just looks tacky.

V

_ \ / _
/ \

Old 11.15.2006, 11:13 AM   #6
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tokolosh

i want this one.
screamingskull is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.15.2006, 11:13 AM   #7
Tokolosh
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by jon boy
however i dont like it when people get their own pic done up warhol style, i dont know it just looks tacky.

I think all memerobilia sucks.
Old 11.15.2006, 11:17 AM   #8
screamingskull
invito al cielo

screamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's assesscreamingskull kicks all y'all's asses
Quote:
there is just something about warhol that i dont get from any other artist. i simply love his work, pretty much all of it.

I'm like that with Mark Ryden, most of his work is owned by Leonardo Dicaprio though. what a shame.

http://www.markryden.com/
Old 11.15.2006, 11:23 AM   #9
jon boy
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by screamingskull
I'm like that with Mark Ryden, most of his work is owned by Leonardo Dicaprio though. what a shame.

http://www.markryden.com/

yes its strange how we connect with one artist, designer, musician etc. maybe it means something i dont know. i am sure that some people could analyse it for a slice of what personality we have.

V

_ \ / _
/ \

Old 11.15.2006, 11:33 AM   #10
screamingskull
invito al cielo

Quote:
yes its strange how we connect with one artist, designer, musician etc. maybe it means something i dont know. i am sure that some people could analyse it for a slice of what personality we have.

well i think the majority of people on here have connected with sonic youth's music on some level. yet we are still incredibly different. And thats good, we share a common interest that we onviously care enough about to want to spend time with fellow fans.
Old 11.16.2006, 04:50 AM   #11
jon boy
invito al cielo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nefeli
my favourates from all those is jackie's 2 top left ones. with cop.
have much respect for warhol's intelligence, but always have been holding back from liking his work. reading about him, made me understand and like more, but dont think will ever have that sort of pure connection, jon boy talks about. but this connection feeling with an artist, is simply great when it happens.

i just dont know what it is that makes me like him so. i like others just as much but i think its his use of colour that gets me every time.

V

_ \ / _
/ \

Old 11.16.2006, 04:57 AM   #12
jon boy
invito al cielo

yes thats true. i am not that interested in why i like him, i just enjoy his work. your right i should judt like it for what it is.

V

_ \ / _
/ \

Old 11.16.2006, 08:25 AM   #13
atari 2600
invito al cielo

atari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's assesatari 2600 kicks all y'all's asses
Mark Ryden blows chunks.

Oh, & even the most devoted Warhol critic will tell you that the particular one of Judith Green is total garbage. By the way, she's the one behind this whole O.J. TV special and book.
atari 2600 is offline   |QUOTE AND REPLY|
Old 11.16.2006, 10:19 AM   #14
jon boy
invito al cielo

they set a new record today.

V

_ \ / _
/ \

All content ©2006 Sonic Youth